Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

Default Re: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

Imagine yourself living in Virginia in 1820, and you want to move your family and all your possessions West for a better life. Maybe Ohio? Maybe Kansas? The only way to get there is covered wagon. It will be a long journey, several months. Since you don't want to live and eat in the dirt the whole way, you take furniture that breaks down and re-assembles quickly to be loaded back in the wagon. Usually that meant at a minimum, a dining table that broke down and could be set up quickly, and two benches. Who wants to eat on the ground after a long day of travel? So tables like this were made, and the design exists today - but no one buys them as their original knockdown format (too wobbly). However, you could set up and break down this table in less than three minutes and the parts are easy to store. This was a mainstay table of the day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8065_1269926371_1.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	8564
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Imagine yourself living in Virginia in 1820, and you want to move your family and all your possessions West for a better life. Maybe Ohio? Maybe Kansas? The only way to get there is covered wagon. It will be a long journey, several months. Since you don't want to live and eat in the dirt the whole way, you take furniture that breaks down and re-assembles quickly to be loaded back in the wagon. Usually that meant at a minimum, a dining table that broke down and could be set up quickly, and two benches. Who wants to eat on the ground after a long day of travel? So tables like this were made, and the design exists today - but no one buys them as their original knockdown format (too wobbly). However, you could set up and break down this table in less than three minutes and the parts are easy to store. This was a mainstay table of the day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8065_1269926371_1.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	8564
    Lol, I actually like this table. And, a lot of these rustic, farm table looking pieces are being seen everywhere nowadays...so, maybe someone wouldn't want an actual knock down farm table that's nearly 200yrs old because of the wobbles. But, they'll sure slap down $3,500 or more quicker than you can blink an eye somewhere like Arhaus, RH or Pottery Barn for a questionably made lookalike!! Lol oh well, go figure

I think I'd want the real deal: wobbles & all. Is this picture of an actual antique table? If so, it looks pretty structurally sound to me.

Quote Originally Posted by stubadub View Post
    Absolutely! Pictures are online now so they are outta my control anyway lol.
    stubadub,

I hope you're still out there. If you'll recall, I mentioned sending some of your photos to my stepdad as he was a furniture maker. He took a look-see and did make a few observations. He suggested late 19th, early 20th c. Mahogany veneer due to the distinctive burl pattern. Likely use of walnut. Although, he did suggest possible use of other woods: oak, ash, beech, poplar. He gave the usual disclaimers due to photo access, only.

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    stubadub,

I hope you're still out there. If you'll recall, I mentioned sending some of your photos to my stepdad as he was a furniture maker. He took a look-see and did make a few observations. He suggested late 19th, early 20th c. Mahogany veneer due to the distinctive burl pattern. Likely use of walnut. Although, he did suggest possible use of other woods: oak, ash, beech, poplar. He gave the usual disclaimers due to photo access, only.

TXCajun
    I almost forgot about this thread! Stubadub, any updates? Has the armoire been all cleaned up & made to look spiffy? I'm still anxious to hear any new details