Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

stubadub Guest

Default Re: Antique Armoire - Pre 1850's? - Looking for Info

Can't find any numbers or markings on the lock, handles or anywhere except the #548

This is the large drawer on the bottom.

stubadub Guest

Wood looks like walnut here too. The big question is what kind, what region.

stubadub,

I do believe that drawer dovetail is machine-cut. Also, I am inclined to think the piece was made around the 1890's. Further, I am starting to think it is an American piece. All of those statements are simply my opinions based on my own experience with antiques. I am no expert. I am still hoping a forum member with better knowledge will step up and give better direction!

The feet are interesting and it seems like they might provide some additional clues. The drawer is gorgeous! I imagine the assembled piece is quite stunning.

If you do learn anything more, I hope you'll update, here.

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by stubadub View Post
    Wood looks like walnut here too. The big question is what kind, what region.

Is there a high-end antiques dealer in your area? Not, some little corner "antique shop," but like a major league antiques dealer known for carrying mainly pre-20th century European pieces? If so, I'd contact them with your questions & photos to see if they can provide some answers. If they can't themselves, they usually know several other dealers located all over the place who might be THE expert on pieces like this.

If it's not marked anywhere by the maker(not even on the side of a drawer, or the back of one?) I'm thinking it could've possibly been a privately commissioned piece. Many were in the 19th century, with the only identifier being a model series number &/or other similar markings usually on areas of the frame hidden from normal view.

When & where did you purchase it & was the seller able to provide you with any background on the piece?

Andrea
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-19-2016 at 03:35 PM.

stubadub Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    stubadub,

I do believe that drawer dovetail is machine-cut.

Further, I am starting to think it is an American piece. All of those statements are simply my opinions based on my own experience with antiques. I am no expert. I am still hoping a forum member with better knowledge will step up and give better direction!

TXCajun
    Hey Thanks I'll take whatever info I can get right now. I will disagree with you on the dovetails though, they seem to be slightly different sizes and some tool marks left. I've hand cut before but won't go as far as saying I'm an expert, I could very well be wrong.

Also it could just be a factory variation or something but the feet and petals don't seem to be identical.

Earlier you had asked about the screws/dowels and the wedges too. This has dowels and wedges and off-center cut screws on the backside of the door panels which would also point to pre-1850's.

All that said I could still be offtrack and it could just be a very nice knockoff or not as old.

I will update this thread until I get to the bottom of it. I can't find anything online that even closely resembles it yet.

stubadub Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Is there a high-end antiques dealer in your area? Not, some little corner "antique shop," but like a major league antiques dealer known for carrying mainly pre-20th century European pieces? If so, I'd contact them with your questions & photos to see if they can provide some answers. If they can't themselves, they usually know several other dealers located all over the place who might be THE expert on pieces like this.

If it's not marked anywhere by the maker(not even on the side of a drawer, or the back of one?) I'm thinking it could've possibly been a privately commissioned piece. Many were in the 19th century, with the only identifier being a model series number &/or other similar markings usually on areas of the frame hidden from normal view.

When & where did you purchase it & was the seller able to provide you with any background on the piece?

Andrea

Yes that was one thing I was going to do, have a professional look at it. I'm in Central KY so we have access to that pretty easy I was just trying to get some kind of info on it while I pulled it out and put together.

I keep checking area's, I know a little but can't find anything but #548 so far.

As far as history goes it comes from my great grandmother but that's about all that's known. Anyone that could have more info is long gone at this point.

-thx!

Quote Originally Posted by stubadub View Post
    Hey Thanks I'll take whatever info I can get right now. I will disagree with you on the dovetails though, they seem to be slightly different sizes and some tool marks left. I've hand cut before but won't go as far as saying I'm an expert, I could very well be wrong.

Also it could just be a factory variation or something but the feet and petals don't seem to be identical.

Earlier you had asked about the screws/dowels and the wedges too. This has dowels and wedges and off-center cut screws on the backside of the door panels which would also point to pre-1850's.

All that said I could still be offtrack and it could just be a very nice knockoff or not as old.

I will update this thread until I get to the bottom of it. I can't find anything online that even closely resembles it yet.
    stubadub,

That would be fabulous if you're correct about the dovetails! I will defer to your judgement because I assure you that I have never made a single piece of furniture, much less hand-cut dovetails. I'm impressed that you've done that.

And, it's very promising that the carvings have discernible variations. Now that you've confirmed there are wedges, I am swinging back to the piece coming from around the 1850's. I have come across only two for-real-deal breakdowns in my three decades of antiquing. And, one has been in a friend's family from the get-go. Yours is a much more spectacular looking piece and I bet it's a bit older, as well.

Please, don't discount the "little corner" "antique shop". Some of those people are true gems, full of knowledge, and love to help just because they truly love what they do. As a matter of fact, one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met worked out of what looked to be by all outward appearances a decrepit, bat-filled barn. Believe me when I tell you that if you met him on the street, you would think he was really a hobo. You'd be wrong. He had some very, very fine pieces in that barn. It was like stepping into another world. Of course, if you're looking to spend some money on an appraisal, well, then, yes, you'll likely be visiting more of the froo-froo type.

How wonderful that you have such a fine family piece. That is something special!

TXCajun

stubadub Guest

I'll try and get a pic up tonight of the inside wedge for verification.

I know very little about old armories, pretty interesting you've only seen a few breakdowns. Can't wait to find out what this is.

Photos are not all that extensive, but here's my read on this piece.

European origin.
    Production furniture with some hand-tooling on the carvings
    Dovetails are jig cut
    Wood is machine sanded.
    Nice crotch veneer.
    Best guess: late 1800's to early 1900's.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

stubadub Guest

Yes I realize that, sorry not trying to tease anyone. I've gotten it all out of storage now but need to wipe down and put together which should be tomorrow.