Thread: Reclining options other than Southern Motion or American Leather?

StephenE Guest

Default Reclining options other than Southern Motion or American Leather?

Hello,

I’ve been searching and reading info on this forum for the past couple of weeks (and also consulting this... http://www.leathershoppes.com/manufacturer_rank.html). The next time I hear of any friends lamenting on choosing leather furniture, I’m telling them to start reading this forum.

We’re replacing our 23-year-old Berkline reclining loveseat and couch with something new. The frame and mechanics are still in great shape. We could reupholster it, but the couch doesn’t suit our needs anymore.

So, we’re looking for a reclining loveseat and 2 recliners. The issue seems to be that we’ve grown accustomed to how our Berkline can prop up the footrest separate from reclining the backrest. All the high-quality pieces we’ve sat in can’t do that. Once the footrest is fully up, the backrest is already reclining. We don’t want that.

Which now has us trying to decide between a Southern Motion (Velocity collection) or an American Leather (Comfort Theatre collection) set. Each of these have adjustable headrests which help customize the footrest/backrest positions.

Is there anything we’re missing? Any high-quality pieces out there that might fit our needs?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Default Re: Reclining options other than Southern Motion or American Leather?

There are Incliners, which are different from Recliners in that the footrest comes up and the back does not go down. Hancock and Moore as them in the Austin series, but that's all I know of.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

StephenE Guest

Thanks. I just now looked those up. So, the back doesn't recline at all? That won't work either. The kids would have a fit.

I'm starting to think we should just buy a quality reclining loveseat and recliners, and buy an ottoman for my wife. She likes having her feet up, but not the back for when the cats sleep on her legs. That way we could buy quality and she'll still have her option.

The back on an Incliner shifts slightly, but it never really reclines. The mechanism you are looking for has pretty much been phased out I believe, I just don't see it around anywhere.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

StephenE Guest

So, if we eliminate separate reclining for the back as a requirement, where does that leave us in the $8,000-ish range for a reclining love seat and 2 recliners? From what I am seeing on the BY and H&M websites, they have reclining sofas but not love seats.

Are there high-quality manufacturers our reclining leather furniture budget?
    Last edited by StephenE; 04-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.