Thread: Taylor King Build and Cushions

Default Taylor King Build and Cushions

At the '16 Spring Market, these were in the Taylor King Showroom, a sectional with all the different cushion options made per seat and back, and a Cut-Away of a chair.

On the seat cushions:

Prestige XL: 2.4 density foam with caps. I found it too soft, a bit unsupportive. The standard core.
    Prestige FM: High compression than the XL means its firmer. I liked this. No extra charge but has to be specified.
    Spring Down: Extra Cost Option. I found this one too soft for my tastes, but better than the Prestige XL
    Catalina Down: Extra Cost Option: This one I liked for a plush cushion. Some 'give' but not shapeless.
    Memory Down: Extra Cost Option: Not bad, slightly different feel and a bit softer than Catalina

back cushions:

10/90 Down Back: Extra Cost Option. WAY too soft. WAY
    Posh Down: Extra Cost Option. Decent, right amount of soft and support for my tastes
    Elite Back: Standard Fiber fill and it works well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK1.jpg 
Views:	1099 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	8489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK2.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	8490

And the Cut-Away chair. I think this is marvelous and ordered one for my store at a cost of $ 500 to me. Then on the way home I began to question that buy as not only does it take the space of a floor model, but do customers really want to see this? Is this a decision-making tool they would like to see in the store? Give me your feedback on this, please. Would you rather see this or another chair ready to buy? Floor space is always at a premium and of course, the cut-away will never sell! What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK5.jpg 
Views:	10166 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	8491
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Taylor King Build and Cushions

Yes, I like the cutaway chair as an educational tool. I think it's something you'll probably find yourself having to explain & give mini-lessons about furniture construction now to more ppl walking into your shop. But, they'll be better informed & knowledgeable because of it.

I know you're the Hancock & Moore guy, & having a cutaway of one of their sofas or chairs would serve your particular needs more than this Taylor King; but, you can still use THIS cutaway to point out similarities since they are sister brands, as well as any differences.

Someone completely clueless about furniture, whispering "it's so expensive in here" will be the bowled over by the information they'll pick up by seeing this & hopefully then, decide to buy the superior product.

At $500, you're not married to it Lol. Try it out for 3-6 months & see if it's helping you educate & gain customers that initially weren't going to spend the money on a better quality item because they lacked the knowledge in what to look for.

If in 3-6 months you're not seeing many turnaround sales like the example I somewhat sloppily tried to explain LOL, then move on.

I REALLY like the sofa with the different cushions! Now, that's an invaluable decision making tool for me as a consumer. That'd take up way too much floor space, but it's neat to look at & bet it's kinda fun to sit on all the cushions
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-21-2016 at 03:16 AM.

I agree that the Cut-Away chair should be an excellent hands-on, educational tool. One can pore over all that the internet has to offer, but nothing beats hands-on. Would I rather see that Cut-Away chair or a ready to buy? I promise you that when I first became serious about buying quality furniture, I would have been thrilled to get my hands on the Cut-Away. It would have saved me a lot of front-loading learning time and would have equipped me with the knowledge to start asking the right questions.

For some customers, it will simply help them feel confident with their already made buying decision. I'm guessing that the sweet spot is with the customer who is on the fence about spending a bit more than planned, and that chair provides the tipping point for convincing them it really is worth it.

Duane, after you've had it on your floor for a bit, will you post your observations regarding customer response?

TXCajun

Jenny Guest

I second what TXCajun said! I love the cut-away chair, especially since you're in the business of selling quality furniture.
    From a customer's standpoint, it really helps to have a visual to illustrate the value of of solid construction so I understand what I'm paying for and why. Before I discovered this forum, my buying experience was just a bunch of sales people from different stores blowing smoke from different directions. I didn't know what was good, only what they said. To the undiscerning eye, a Natuzzi can look just as good as a Hancock and Moore from the outside (I know, I know, I can hear you cringing all the way from Minnesota).

I actually think it's a better use of your floor space than anything else, and you should put it in the front. It's educational, interesting, and a good way to introduce customers to a higher quality, long-lasting brand. Even if it doesn't make the sale that very day, it gets people to think and want to know more.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-21-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I second what TXCajun said! I love the cut-away chair, especially since you're in the business of selling quality furniture.
    From a customer's standpoint, it really helps to have a visual to illustrate the value of of solid construction so I understand what I'm paying for and why. Before I discovered this forum, my buying experience was just a bunch of sales people from different stores blowing smoke from different directions. I didn't know what was good, only what they said. To the undiscerning eye, a Natuzzi can look just as good as a Hancock and Moore from the outside (I know, I know, I can hear you cringing all the way from Minnesota).

I actually think it's a better use of your floor space than anything else, and you should put it in the front. It's educational, interesting, and a good way to introduce customers to a higher quality, long-lasting brand. Even if it doesn't make the sale that very day, it gets people to think and want to know more.
    Jenny, I couldn't have said it better! It's very interesting & even if the person who knew nothing about furniture & had the "Quality Furniture 101" quicky lesson with Duane using the cutaway doesn't buy that day...they WILL be using what he learned every time they goes out to look at furniture in the future.

Actually I am going to cancel the Taylor King cut-away and get one from Hancock and Moore based on the BARON wing chair. As I am a much larger dealer in H&M than T-K, and the build level is even higher on the H&M, then it makes more sense to have that one. It will be a great tool in the store to have. I think customers are willing to pay more for high quality furniture but they have to see what it is they are getting. Once you have the tools for that, then they can make an informed decision.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Actually I am going to cancel the Taylor King cut-away and get one from Hancock and Moore based on the BARON wing chair. As I am a much larger dealer in H&M than T-K, and the build level is even higher on the H&M, then it makes more sense to have that one. It will be a great tool in the store to have. I think customers are willing to pay more for high quality furniture but they have to see what it is they are getting. Once you have the tools for that, then they can make an informed decision.
    Oh, I didn't know H&M even had one! Yes, if you can get a H&M cutaway, as you're the Hancock & Moore guy, that'd be the better educational tool for your needs. Similar to what I said in my original reply. Please post pics once it's in!!