Taylor King rolled out a brand new Sleep Sofa with a radically new mechanism in it, that just fascinated me at the Spring 2016 Market. For years I have loathed sleep sofas in my store. They make for lousy beds, with poor mattresses on them and you can always feel the cross bars. They didn't sit all that well as a sofa, either. Plus they tended to be deep and hard to get into places where customers wanted them - and they never had standard sheet sizes.

Well, Ultra Mech has changed all that with their new design, and Taylor King is first out of the gate with production on it. This is what the industry has been waiting for. Here is a sofa with no conventional bar frame, and no mattress on it. The cushions are built into the piece and it 'stores' in the back of the sofa. These are standard bed sizes, too. This one is a 60" x 80" Queen and takes fitted Queen sheets. The amazing part, and what really sold me on it, is this fits through a 28" door opening. WOW. So I tried the sleeper out, and it feels great - like a real bed. Del Starnes, CEO of Taylor King was explaining all the work they did to get the cushions to feel right and the dozens of prototypes they went through to get the cores right. They settled on a 3-element tier as you see in the photo and it works. So yes, the guy that NEVER orders sleep sofas for the floor - ordered one. Of course i had to doll my floor model up a little bit, and spec'd a dark brown leather welt trim together with Crypton Performance Fabric for the main body. The two cushions that you see in blue DO NOT detach and as such you want them to be cleanable - so Cryton or Sunbrella is the way to go.

This is not an inexpensive piece, but it will do everything you want a sleep sofa to really do. Be a comfortable bed and a decent sit sofa. Pricing will be in in the $ 3K to $ 4K range depending on how you spec it, and its available in King size as well. It is a very heavy unit, over 300 ls in Queen so though it will go through that 28" doorway, don't expect to be going around corners with this that require a vertical lift up stairways and the like.

I will photo my floor model when it arrives sometime this summer (of course I forgot to get a photo of it closed up!). This is going to revolutionize the sleep sofa market, and Taylor King is just the first to offer it, I'm sure other companies will once they see how it performs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleep1.jpg 
Views:	3332 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	8492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep2.jpg 
Views:	1195 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	8493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep3.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	143.2 KB