Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

Default Re: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

That’s a neat one... cheaper and italian leather. I think I prefer the metal hardware-less (when open) and the taller back of TK model. Would be great to have the longevity and ease of maintenance of leather, though...

That’s really neat how easy the Hooker Peralta is to set up too...

The Taylor King unit will be the most comfortable as a sleeper, however the Hooker unit is more versatile, costs less, and is in leather.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Just not wild about the look of finished leather... though it’s a quick sleeper conversion, and there is something to be said for having a dedicated sleep mattress that can be replaced if needed v using some of the cushion cores for the sleeping surface. As for comfort, a foam topper would do wonders for any sleeper mattress, and that’s easy enough. It is just hard to imagine it on display at the heart of my house, seen right upon entering for the front door and all main rooms. I really love the look of this TK one. How are the back cushions supported when sitting up on the sofa, though? It looks like they lean back against the top of the headrest shelf thing and are sort of just floating there?
    Any other good options you know of?

I will still say the Taylor King unit is the best on the market (along with the Hancock and Moore Your Way Unit, which is built the same way), provided it can go into the home and not have to go up and down a flight of stairs. Your doors are wide enough and the delivery path short enough that it would not be an issue. Most customers don't even know the TK unit is a sleeper, because it doesn't feel like one when used as sofa. Yes, the back cushions are pretty much as you describe, however they seem to work well. All sleepers have a compromise vs their stationary cousins, so for max sitting comfort and best styling it's always going to be a properly designed stationary unit. Where the TK (and H&M) units really shine is the sleep comfort, its pretty close to sleeping on a real mattress. The seat / sleep cushions are not easily replaceable so it's a good idea to do them in a Performance fabric that is water-cleanable and has a high rub rating. https://taylorking.com/finish_category.asp?FID=13 Be aware that man-made fabrics all pill over time, so some natural material content in the blend helps in that regard (Linen / Cotton / Wool).

This from the TK Literature on the series:

“M” Series Luxury Sleep Solutions

The benefits to the “M” series sleeper versus conventional sleep sofas are:
     Full mattress length at 80” versus 72” of standard sleep sofas
     Solid sleep platform versus trampoline-type deck with conventional metal bars
     Attached seat cushions that become a part of the sleep surface, which eliminates storage of loose seat cushions when most sleep sofas are open
     Solid sleep platform allows two individuals to sleep comfortably without roll
     Available in King, Queen, Full and Twin sizes – all with 80” long sleep surface
     Removable legs to assist in delivery in tight spaces

Operating Instructions

 The seating surface of the sleep sofa is a tight cap seat that gives the appearance of loose seat cushions. To open the sleep unit, you first remove and store the loose back cushions
     Place both hands at the bottom of the tight cap seat and pull outward and upward
     As the unit is ¾ open, place one hand in the middle of the seating surface and push downward before the extending legs of the unit reach the floor

Tight Sleep Surface Composition

Three types of foam materials work in perfect harmony to create a comfortable and supportive sleep surface. First, we begin with a 1½”bottom layer of Pluralux ultra high density urethane foam with micro-spring technology for a superior foundation. A soft yet supportive 2.4 density 1”urethane foam covers the Pluralux foam and brings more movement and comfort to the surface while maintaining needed support. A 1½” inch layer of Viscoelastic Memory foam is added above the first two urethane foams and provides superior comfort and softness. A layer of ¾” ounce polyester fiber is then added for tailoring purposes. Lifetime warranty on the long-lasting comfort of this sleep and seat surface.

Because the sleep surface is not removable, we have chosen to use a Sunbrella fabric as the standard to cover two thirds of the sleep surface. The bleach cleanable and anti-microbial features of Sunbrella fabrics makes this the perfect choice. The third area that also serves as the seating area of the closed sleeper unit may be covered in any type of fabric or leather; however, we highly recommend covering this surface and the remaining frame in a Sunbrella fabric, Inside Out fabric, Crypton fabric, or protected leather. For an additional cost, a customer may request that the entire sleep surface be covered in the body fabric of the sleep sofa.

They run a promotion on this series in the following fabrics only for dealers that qualify:

Fabric Choices (All colors of the following patterns):

Bear Hug
    Coconut
    Grandbury
    Milsap
    Outlander (New This Market)
    Proximity
    Quincy
    Sugar Shack
    Topsail

Last edited by drcollie; 10-19-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Duane Collie

Thanks so much!! A lot to digest.
    On all of these, are the cushion cores irreplaceable then? They are sewn to the frame? Also the back cushions of the Hooker unit— are those zippered are any point to be refilled?

What do you know of the HM your way sleeper sofa construction— do those gray covers that are on the entire bed surface remove for washing? I could get the leather I want with a HM unit.
    the YS76EAKEB your way unit looks like the back cushions could possibly flip behind the sofa out of the way??

They are not EASILy Replaceable. All are sewn on or bolted on to the piece on both the TK and the Hooker unit, not sure about the H&M one as I have only seen it briefly at Market, but I would think it likewise. However, most sleepers don't get that kind of use, because they are a secondary unit, not the main sitting piece that is used 4 + hours every day, so core resilience has never been an issue in any sleeper that I have ever seen. Quite honestly, if you are going to use a sofa hard enough to need a core replacement in 10 or so years, then you should be getting a stationary unit as its better suited to that kind of use.

The H&M Your Way is using the same mechanism (UltraMek) as the Taylor King Conner Series. The back cushions remove as in the Taylor King unit.
    Duane Collie

Hard to say... with four kids bouncing around, it’s possible I might be core replacements down the road. I was thinking too, what if the back cushions need more fill due to usage as well. Do a lot of people do have these units sort of tucked away rarely being used? Maybe a sleeper sofa isn’t how I should proceed 😅... giving potential guests our kids beds would be better. This stage of life isn’t forever anyway.

Most the time on a fabric sofa the cover material will never outlast the cores. On leather, yes. But fabric lifespan is typically 8 to 10 years, so cores would be down at the time of reupholster if needed.
    Duane Collie