Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

Hybrid View

Default The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

Taylor King rolled out a brand new Sleep Sofa with a radically new mechanism in it, that just fascinated me at the Spring 2016 Market. For years I have loathed sleep sofas in my store. They make for lousy beds, with poor mattresses on them and you can always feel the cross bars. They didn't sit all that well as a sofa, either. Plus they tended to be deep and hard to get into places where customers wanted them - and they never had standard sheet sizes.

Well, Ultra Mech has changed all that with their new design, and Taylor King is first out of the gate with production on it. This is what the industry has been waiting for. Here is a sofa with no conventional bar frame, and no mattress on it. The cushions are built into the piece and it 'stores' in the back of the sofa. These are standard bed sizes, too. This one is a 60" x 80" Queen and takes fitted Queen sheets. The amazing part, and what really sold me on it, is this fits through a 28" door opening. WOW. So I tried the sleeper out, and it feels great - like a real bed. Del Starnes, CEO of Taylor King was explaining all the work they did to get the cushions to feel right and the dozens of prototypes they went through to get the cores right. They settled on a 3-element tier as you see in the photo and it works. So yes, the guy that NEVER orders sleep sofas for the floor - ordered one. Of course i had to doll my floor model up a little bit, and spec'd a dark brown leather welt trim together with Crypton Performance Fabric for the main body. The two cushions that you see in blue DO NOT detach and as such you want them to be cleanable - so Cryton or Sunbrella is the way to go.

This is not an inexpensive piece, but it will do everything you want a sleep sofa to really do. Be a comfortable bed and a decent sit sofa. Pricing will be in in the $ 3K to $ 4K range depending on how you spec it, and its available in King size as well. It is a very heavy unit, over 300 ls in Queen so though it will go through that 28" doorway, don't expect to be going around corners with this that require a vertical lift up stairways and the like.

I will photo my floor model when it arrives sometime this summer (of course I forgot to get a photo of it closed up!). This is going to revolutionize the sleep sofa market, and Taylor King is just the first to offer it, I'm sure other companies will once they see how it performs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleep1.jpg 
Views:	3261 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	8492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep2.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	8493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep3.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	8494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TKcore.jpg 
Views:	1009 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	8495
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

The photo all closed up.....btw, my TK Sales Rep says this new Sleeper was the most sold piece at Market, I'm not the only one that thinks its great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	836 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	8506
    Duane Collie

Duane,

Very interesting design. There's no dreaded bar under the mattress?

TXCajun

sstarrx2 Guest

Duane what size did you buy for your store? Queen or King?

No bars! This is a totally new clean-slate design. It feels like a real bed and the sheets stay on it. When I get my floor model, I'll do a video of it. Like no sleeper you have ever seen before.

The only negatives on this unit : 1) its not inexpensive. I ordered a Queen Size with Portfolio GR 2 fabric and extra cost leather welt trim and it will be around $ 4,000 in price. 2) Its heavy. 300 lb + and that can make it difficult to handle in tight areas. Where I really see this being a successful piece are in the following scenarios:

* Someone in a small Studio apartment where they have no room for a bed (as they have no 'bedroom' per se) and don't want to sleep on a futon or an uncomfortable old-style sleeper
    * In an executive office, where sometimes work demands a nap without leaving the workplace.
    * Residential - where someone wants to have a sleeper in the house that will be actually used frequently, and wants them or their guests to be comfortable.
    * For Elderly folks who have a main bedroom upstairs but may have to stay on the main floor due to temporary illness, etc.
    Duane Collie

Very interesting design. When you laid on it how much could you feel the lines between the cushions? I would worry where the sections meet would be a soft spot. Probably still better than a regular sleeper though!

I will test it more when my floor model arrives.....
    Duane Collie

buddygram Guest

Cannot find a follow-up to the info about the Taylor King Connor sleeper sofa. Would you recommend this sleeper sofa? If not, what would be some other options?

I cancelled my floor model as I deemed it too expensive for what most people want to spend on a sleeper. The one thing I hear day in and day out on sleepers is "I don't want to spend a lot of money on one". Followed by complaints about "feeling the bars underneath". <laughing>. Well, spend more and you won't feel the bar!

Selling price is $ 3,600 (queen size) or higher depending on cover (plus delivery fees) and it's also 300 lb, making for a nearly impossible delivery up and down staircases to higher / lower levels where most people want them. There is no way to easily take down this unit on delivery ease,

I love the unit though, its FAR more comfortable than any other sleeper sofa I have ever seen. If you can deal with the price point AND use it on a main floor, its probably the best sleeper sofa system on the market, bar none. It's a unit you could use as a bed every night and love it. Perfect for a studio-type apartment.
    Duane Collie

buddygram Guest

Thank you very much. I understand that cost is an important factor. My daughter and her husband are closing on a townhouse. There is a small den which is on the main floor so delivery shouldn't be an issue. The bed wouldn't be used every night but family members from out of town will be visiting - especially with a new baby on the way. The sofa would also need to be comfortable for sitting. I agree that you get what you pay for - as long as it isn't beyond a reasonable amount.
    It looks like American Leather has a similar sofa bed - no bars. However, it has very poor reviews. I don't see any reviews for the Taylor King.
    Once again, thank you for your sharing your expertise.