Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

Default Re: The Best Sleeper Sofa you can Buy - Taylor King

The mechanism used in this sleeper is one designed by UltraMech and was done exclusively for American Leather, hence the similarity. Then, the folks at UltraMech and those at American Leather got into some kind of tiff - what I don't know about - and the exclusivity ended. Everyone in the industry knows about the issues with conventional sleeper sofas so many were eager to get their hands on this new UltraMech unit. Taylor King jumped right on it, but found very quickly the cushions that AL were using were not satisfactory and spent quite a bit of time making a custom core composition, with the CEO of Taylor King (Del Starnes) undertaking it as his own personal project. They did many combinations of layers and finally got it where they wanted it. I've tried it out in person, both sitting on it and lying on it. It's perfect. However its very new in the market as well, so it will be difficult to find one in a store or many reviews on it.

I checked for a customer a few days ago and they have (4) of them being built at Taylor King in Hickory NC right now that will finish next week sometime. She was considering driving there to test them out. That's an option always available - go to the factory and check them out, get a tour as well and the VIP treatment.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

buddygram Guest

I live in New York so most likely I will purchase without testing it. If you deem it to be perfect, I will go with the Taylor King Connor.
    I'm not sure where/how to make the purchase. I guess visit their website and contact them?

You have to purchase from an Authorized Dealer, such as my store (The Keeping Room). I regularly ship to New York with inside home delivery so distance is not an issue if you wish to purchase through my store. Otherwise you can contact a local dealer for Taylor King in your area. Every dealer sets their own selling price and I am pretty aggressive in that respect.

There are many fabrics to choose from, I would recommend what we call a Performance Fabric, which is going to be a brand name such as Crypton or Sunbrella, as keeping them looking nice is much easier as they are soap and water scrubbable (most fabrics are not and require dry cleaning fluids). Go here to see the fabrics and click on "Performance" to display those in category. Price will vary by grade, however the Performance fabrics as a rule as not in the upper price categories.

http://www.taylorking.com/finish_category.asp?FID=13

If you can narrow down samples to a dozen or so, you can post a request for free samples by going to the QUOTES section here on the forum and I will order them up for you.

I think you will be pleased with this unit. Were I to buy a sleep sofa for my own home, this is the only one I would consider.
    Duane Collie

buddygram Guest

I will definitely purchase the sleep sofa from you. Waiting for my daughter and son-in-law to get the closing date. They were told tentative date of February 1st. Attorney says buyer has one month to get out so March 1st would be the move-in date for my daughter.
    I will take a look at the fabrics and discuss them with my daughter. The Connor sofa that I have seen on different websites is the blue Sunbrella.
    I will keep in touch with you as I get more info.
    Thank you very much.

Thank you!

Taylor king is running 10 weeks delivery right now, and then plan on 3 weeks transit time via the delivery service....

Note that I will be out of town for one week on vacation (here for 1 more hour today) and would have to process a fabric request next Friday when I return (02/03).
    Duane Collie

I ordered one of these in queen size for store floor stock this week, Taylor King is running a special in selected fabrics (Crypton and Sunbrella) that brings the price down so that in store it will be $ 3,299 and for internet customers $ 3,099 plus delivery fees. I have been hesitant to bring this into the store because of price before - however I think with this special they have its reasonable. And I still think this is the best sleep sofa I have ever seen and by quite a wide margin. Should be at my store in May - come check it out - you can even take a nap on it if you like!

Queen size is 325 lb, so this won't be going into places that require a lot of maneuvering or up / down narrow staircases.
    Duane Collie

My floor model arrived and we installed into the store this morning. If you are in the local Wash DC stop on by and try it out. I'm amazed at how good it feels. Del Starnes, CEO of Taylor King, spent a very long time developing a custom cushion core for this piece that is comprised of multiple densities and layers of material. Added to that special pricing in a selected group of fabrics and there's a good value in a unit that actually works as you want it to. A terrific sofa and an excellent sleeper - all in one. Price shown is for Wash DC area purchases. If out-of-area, price is less however you will have delivery fees for 325 lb, which is significant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7672.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	10892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7673.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	10893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7671.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	10894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7669.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	10895
    Duane Collie

Nice information! Thanks for sharing!

I do have one on the floor if you are local to Wash DC region and want to come try it out.

Taylor King's CEO, Del Starnes, spent hours and hours perfecting the cushions on this piece and he told me they made something like eighteen prototype cushions (in-house) before finding a layering blend that works just right for this unit. While American Leather has the same mechanism, the skill and art is in making the cushion composition correctly in a piece like this. I've not tried the AL unit so can't comment on it.

Taylor King runs a promotion on this sofa in selected fabrics, however its not an inexpensive unit. $ 4K and up depending on the cover.
    Duane Collie

We bought an American Leather Comfortsleeper about 5 years ago. Several of my family members have them, too, and we all enjoy visiting each other much more than before (especially visiting our one cousin who shelled out for the tempurpedic mattress version). We also love the microfiber fabrics. I've got three kids and they've puked and pooped and drawn with markers and spilled cereal milk and it all cleans up with minimal effort.

Our one big complaint is that the seat cushions don't stay put. Our local dealer has tried super hard to remedy that issue. They came to our home about a year after we bought it and added flaps to the bottoms of the cushions that would stick into the folded-up mattress to anchor the cushions. And last year they sent us entirely new cushions with heavy duty velcro on the bottom that sticks to the mattress. But nothing has really worked. With all the action our sofa sees (three kids, one small living area until now), the cushions are constantly sliding forward just enough to annoy the heck out of my wife, who always seems to be re-doing the cushions on the sofa.

Does Taylor King have a better solution for that? We are moving soon and will have a need for a second sofa or sectional. We're likely to go with a non-sleeper sectional for the living room and to put the existing American Leather sofa in the TV/guest room, but if there really is a sleeper option that solves the sliding cushion problem, we might consider it to have more flexibility for guests. Does Taylor King do sleeper sectionals? I don't see any on their website.