Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member with a question

Default Re: New member with a question

Thanks Duane for your replies. I was personally impressed with your responses. Your website does more to educate in regard to furniture construction and quality than any site I have visited! Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZ01 View Post
    Thanks Duane for your replies. I was personally impressed with your responses. Your website does more to educate in regard to furniture construction and quality than any site I have visited! Your efforts are very much appreciated.
    Ditto ^^^

And, TXCajun I agree that scenarios like the originally presented one in this thread ARE very informative for established forum members & newbies alike. It's threads like these that really help ppl make informed decisions as consumers.

I don't think deleting their profiles, or requesting the moderators delete them aides in anything. It just stops the discussion dead in its tracks, leaving others finding themselves in similar situations hanging without any answers.

Personally, I'd of liked to hear what was driving their continued interest in the chair from THIS dealer even after discovering evidence contradictory to what this dealer was saying & found to be later reaffirmed here? We never did learn of this dealer's name or location(I can't make it out in the blurry photo.) What their reputation is for customer service, honoring complaints, & how they're known for dealing with repair requests, etc. So that in the future, others living nearby won't go finding themselves face to face with a scenario much like this.

It's a shame. Because this thread is very educational for those shopping H&M & Randall Allen pieces, wanting to compare & contrast between the two.

sstarrx2 Guest

I am pretty sure the OP really liked the price of the chair and so wanted it to be H&M. Being a newbie they really did not want to hear that the chair was not authentic H&M. I am sure every once in awhile you can get a knock out deal on a quality piece of furniture. In my experience though, if is sounds to good to be true.......

There is a right way to ask, and a wrong way. The OP did this the wrong way. And when you do things the wrong way the flow of information gets shut down.

The Right Way would have been to ask "If you have the opportunity during one of your calls to Hancock and Moore, perhaps you could investigate and post what you find out when you have time". When its done like that, I will find out but maybe not on a Sunday afternoon....

Wrong way is to do a 'He Said - She Said' kind of thing and hurriedly jump to conclusions then pit one dealer against another. Bad Mojo and I want no part of that. And then top if off with a slam because the didn't get the answer they were looking for.

But there is always someone like that here on the forum, they pop up every 6 months or so and don't know how to ask the right way, then leave off in a huff.

FYI, I did find out. It took half an hour because no one really knew at H&M, not even the production manager. Finally we traced it down, however. Only the special Promotion Ryder Wine and Ryder Tobacco have pieced sides and backs, any other 1021 will have single piece panels. So there's the answer.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sstarrx2 Guest

Wow, good to know!! That was so easy! Well if someone does not mind that leather or not having the one piece panels then that is a nice buy on that chair as it is a genuine H&M.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    There is a right way to ask, and a wrong way. The OP did this the wrong way. And when you do things the wrong way the flow of information gets shut down.

The Right Way would have been to ask "If you have the opportunity during one of your calls to Hancock and Moore, perhaps you could investigate and post what you find out when you have time". When its done like that, I will find out but maybe not on a Sunday afternoon....

Wrong way is to do a 'He Said - She Said' kind of thing and hurriedly jump to conclusions then pit one dealer against another. Bad Mojo and I want no part of that. And then top if off with a slam because the didn't get the answer they were looking for.

But there is always someone like that here on the forum, they pop up every 6 months or so and don't know how to ask the right way, then leave off in a huff.

FYI, I did find out. It took half an hour because no one really knew at H&M, not even the production manager. Finally we traced it down, however. Only the special Promotion Ryder Wine and Ryder Tobacco have pieced sides and backs, any other 1021 will have single piece panels. So there's the answer.
    Exactly; thank you!! You just can't go up to a dealer you're considering purchasing from & say "well, another dealer said this; but, you're saying.... so, which is it?" Almost immediately, that dealer is put on the defensive, while you're also enlightening them to the fact you're not just casually shopping the item around: you're having detailed discussions with other dealers. Now everybody will be at loggerheads.

The consumer that creates this kind of situation is certainly not doing themselves any favors in enhancing their buying experience by pitting one dealer against another. In fact, they're doing the complete opposite: what could've been possibly a great deal, combined with a positive buying experience has now become one that's contentious & strained.

Lol, what I DON'T get, for the life of me; is why these "difficult types" come online to solicit free advice & guidance on a purely informational forum & then, just go do the exact opposite?! Hello; you came to us!! You asked Duane what he thought about the situation & what advice he could give...other forum members chimed in, with 99% agreeing with Duane, yada, yada. We offered our suggestions...what more can we honestly do if they're not even willing to follow it?

Oh no; NOW our advice & suggestions doesn't validate them...so, we're made to be the bad guys??!!

I totally get wanting to know if a deal found is really as good as it sounds. With that said however, patience is a virtue. And, if the OP had practiced it even just a little; we all would've gotten a definitive answer sooner or later. I had no idea lesser grade leathers/promo leathers used on certain H&M pieces are stitched differently than if using a higher grade leather & that certainly never even crossed my mind that could've been what was going on with this H&M #1021!

I learned something new about H&M's promo leathers thru this thread, along with how best to go about getting answers on an item from multiple dealers simultaneously.
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-27-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Mightydog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Sorry if I offended anyone with my reply or lack of knowledge. I did not know about the "Rider" leather quality and did not see a post of 2 years ago that explained this since I just started with this site. I did call H&M and they did say "it depends on the type of leather if it is a multi piece or single piece back and sides". I don't believe the dealer was trying to misrepresent this item, he just did not explain to me what a "rider" leather was. The chair was comfortable, had all the identification of a H&M chair but he could not answer me when I asked what class/catagory the leather was. Believe I will go with Classic Leather. Sorry again for any offense.

Jenny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mightydog View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone with my reply or lack of knowledge. I did not know about the "Rider" leather quality and did not see a post of 2 years ago that explained this since I just started with this site. I did call H&M and they did say "it depends on the type of leather if it is a multi piece or single piece back and sides". I don't believe the dealer was trying to misrepresent this item, he just did not explain to me what a "rider" leather was. The chair was comfortable, had all the identification of a H&M chair but he could not answer me when I asked what class/catagory the leather was. Believe I will go with Classic Leather. Sorry again for any offense.
    Hey, I just wanted to say, I hope you'll stay around in the future. This forum IS very helpful and we do eventually get answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hey, I just wanted to say, I hope you'll stay around in the future. This forum IS very helpful and we do eventually get answers.
    Yes, to what Jenny said!!

Mightydog, please stick around. Look at this "rookie mistake" as a learning experience. All of us here make mistakes, & have probably said or done the wrong thing too...but, we're learning & using the knowledge gained to be better informed consumers.

Andrea