Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore # 8138NB Austin High Back Sofa in Viking Cordovan QUICK SHIP Program

Default Hancock & Moore # 8138NB Austin High Back Sofa in Viking Cordovan QUICK SHIP Program

Hancock and Moore has rolled out a new "Quick Ship" program, where selected pieces are done in specific Married Cover Hides in 2 weeks from time of order. That's really, really fast. Normal build time is 4 to 6 weeks. In this new program, the quick ship leather for the Austin 8138 is 'Viking' and comes in two colors, this one being the Cordovan. I ordered this for my store and is on the floor as of this date. The leather is nothing spectacular, but it does have more a matte finish than some hides have had in the past in these kind of programs. Although H&M doesn't allow me to post prices, I can tell you this is under $ 3K and that makes it very attractive on their # 1 selling sofa, plus its done quickly, too!

I am waiting on details on the new 2-week quick ship program, will post them when I have the information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0034.jpg 
Views:	2442 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	8579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0035.jpg 
Views:	1500 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	8580
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore # 8138NB Austin High Back Sofa in Viking Cordovan QUICK SHIP Prog

Duane, I am getting the Viking Tobacco on the Austin High Back Sofa & Loveseat.
    I have also decided to get the Austin Wall Hugger recliner and the Campaign cocktail ottoman.
    Should I:
    1) Get the recliner and ottoman in a different leather (same leather on both, 2 Leathers total)?
    2) Get the recliner in the Viking Tobacco and the ottoman in another leather (possibly Tuscany Harness, 2 Leathers total)? Will those work together?
    3) Get both pieces in different leather?(3 Leathers total)

How many Leathers is too many?
    How many pieces of furniture in one leather is too many?
    What Leathers will work with the Viking Tobacco?
    Suggestions appreciated

Default Re: Hancock & Moore # 8138NB Austin High Back Sofa in Viking Cordovan QUICK SHIP Prog

There are a number of variables, I know the Austin Recliner is for you - and that you want something fun and special. I would definitely get it motorized (either plug-in or battery).

Then it becomes a budget question. If you want to go all-in, get Capri Tobacco and you will feel pampered every time you sit in the chair. That's a GR 4 leather though, so it comes at a price. The Wade in GR 3 is 20% less, almost as nice. To make it the most price friendly, then stay with the Viking on the recliner. It's all about your comfort level on the expenditure. Other leathers I like are Gunner Mocha (GR1) and Aspen Tobacco (GR2) but they are a minor improvement over Viking, not a major one like you get with Capri and Wade.

I mix up color and leathers in my own home. I like the harmonizing look - but not matching. In my family room for example, there are two sofas, one ottoman, one recliner for (4) leather pieces and they are all in different leathers (the sofas are supposed to be matching, but were ordered at different times and the dye lots are way off).

Remember there is no right and wrong, only what YOU like the best and are comfortable spending. If I think you are making a mistake with your order, I will always tell you - but otherwise its just choices, and there are many.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    There are a number of variables, I know the Austin Recliner is for you - and that you want something fun and special. I would definitely get it motorized (either plug-in or battery).

Then it becomes a budget question. If you want to go all-in, get Capri Tobacco and you will feel pampered every time you sit in the chair. That's a GR 4 leather though, so it comes at a price. The Wade in GR 3 is 20% less, almost as nice. To make it the most price friendly, then stay with the Viking on the recliner. It's all about your comfort level on the expenditure. Other leathers I like are Gunner Mocha (GR1) and Aspen Tobacco (GR2) but they are a minor improvement over Viking, not a major one like you get with Capri and Wade.

I mix up color and leathers in my own home. I like the harmonizing look - but not matching. In my family room for example, there are two sofas, one ottoman, one recliner for (4) leather pieces and they are all in different leathers (the sofas are supposed to be matching, but were ordered at different times and the dye lots are way off).

Remember there is no right and wrong, only what YOU like the best and are comfortable spending. If I think you are making a mistake with your order, I will always tell you - but otherwise its just choices, and there are many.

My next decision is on the cushion cores.
    1) Will I get a lot of puddling with a finished leather on the Austin series?
    2) I don’t like the puddle look, so should I get extra full on the cushions? Does this greatly change the seat comfort?
    3) I need to get delivery options and pricing on the 4 above pieces to the New Orleans area
    4) Do you need the delivery choice to place the order or can that be done later?

You will always get some puddling with any leather on any cushion, its unavoidable. Steerhide is not nearly as bad at puddling as Cowhide. H&M uses only grade A Steerhide in all their leathers.

I do not recommend going extra full or extra firm on a Austin recliner, I do not like the way they sit. I have two sets of extra firm seats and extra full backs for them ( # 3032 series) in my warehouse, that I had to remove from two recliners I have for stock. They are free to anyone that wants them, and if long distance you just pay the shipping on the and they're yours. So I suggest you order standard cores and if you want the extra firm / extra full its just the UPS charge to get them.

For freight quotes, please send an email to keepingroom@gmail.com with the pieces you want to order and your city/state/zip code.

Yes, orders have to have a delivery option to place - you may change it later but we have to have something to begin with. However, I really prefer not like to make corrections and addendums to orders as they can cause mixups in the order (this is three decades experience talking). It's really better to have all decided and THEN place the order. That minimizes mistakes.
    Duane Collie

yoganandt Guest

Hi Duane
    To get the H&M Austin high back sofa through the main door of the home, do you know how much should be the door width. Can we get extra leverage by removing the wooden legs, I assume they are removable
    Thanks for your time

35" to 36" should do it.
    Duane Collie

Bumping this thread and wondering if this Quick Ship Austin High Backs are still in the flow. Family and I sat in one of these sofas at local retailer and felt quite comfortable. Floor model they had was Viking in tobacco leather.

Yes they are, I have one in my store on display.

The Viking is a leather from a Chinese tannery. Due to tariffs imposed by the Trump Administration in its trade war with China, that piece has a 3% surcharge on it in that leather that starts today to all dealers and will continue as long as tariffs are in place. It will rise again in price in January 2019 as the tariff more than doubles in a second step unless a political agreement is reached.
    Duane Collie

Thank you for the reply. Are there higher quality leather options with Austin High Back through Quick Ship program that may still be more affordable?