Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Wine Country Questions and Advice?

Default California Wine Country Questions and Advice?

I'm taking my wife to California for a short vacation in mid-July, and since I have so many California customers here thought this might be a great place to ask for opinions on your favorite places to go and eateries. We've never been to the Wine Country, so its all new to us.

Staying at Napa at the Westin on the river for three nights to explore the area and visit wineries. Other than booking the hotel, its wide open what we see and do. They have a hot air balloon ride that looks interesting and also a 'wine train' that might could work?

Also one night in San Francisco prior to departure at the Union Square area and we've been there once before and did Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Lombard Street and rode the Trolley about 10 years ago, but other than that don't know the city.

Plus one night at the start of the trip in Half Moon Bay - never been there before.

Suggestions welcome!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

Default Re: California Wine Country Questions and Advice?

Just a heads up about Union Square, I stayed at the Hilton in San Francisco that was close to Union Square last spring. It's kind of weird deal where if you head in one direction (towards the square and the trolleys) it's perfectly normal and turns into a nice shopping district. In the other direction however (and kind of on two of the streets where the Hilton is), it's into the Tenderloin district, and not a place I felt comfortable with in even during the day time.

Duane,

If y'all enjoy getting in the middle of other cultures, you might consider visiting San Francisco's Chinatown. It certainly is not a peaceful stroll, but my husband and I love it. If you can look past the touristy pit stops (as in Rome, Paris, London, New York, etc.), it's a good place to spend two or three hours.

TXCajun

fattasseri Guest

For San Francisco:
    Take a drive up to Twin Peaks for a bird's eye 360 degree view of San Francisco / the Pacific Ocean / Oakland / Golden Gate Bridge etc....day time is better, close to sunset will also work, at night the view is different because you see most of the city lights. It is quite windy up there (take a scarf, wind breaker / jacket).

Another thing one can do, is to take the 49 mile scenic drive into San Francisco which will take you through some of the most famous and some less familiar nonetheless scenic parts of the city (Twin Peaks is part of this drive).

The drive from San Francisco to Monterey and Big Sur (via Highway 1) is just plain spectacular if you don't mind the winding roads along the cliffs (Half Moon Bay is along the way on Highway 1, South from San Francisco.)

Also try going to Sausalito across the Golden Gate Bridge...it is a quaint town with awesome views of San Francisco from the other side, not to mention many nice restaurants and shops.

Lots of things to do / see...you have to pick and choose.

Quote Originally Posted by fattasseri View Post
    For San Francisco:
    ...The drive from San Francisco to Monterey and Big Sur (via Highway 1) is just plain spectacular if you don't mind the winding roads along the cliffs (Half Moon Bay is along the way on Highway 1, South from San Francisco.)
    fattasseri,

Yes! Absolutely! My husband and I have done that drive and you are spot-on. What a terrific suggestion!

TXCajun

MJM_CA Guest

If you're a foodie looking to splurge, make a reservation for Thomas Keller's French Laundry (in Yountville, a little north of Napa). It's one of the few 3 Michelin Star restaurants in California.

That's what I need to know! I liked that until I saw the price - $ 310 per person! Might be a little rich for us, I start having chest pains at over $ 90 a person.

We've done the drive on the Coast before, its always foggy in the summer it seems so they never have been as spectacular as in the coffee table photo books.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MJM_CA Guest

Is that for a prix fixe menu with wine pairings? If so, go for it! #YOLO

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That's what I need to know! I liked that until I saw the price - $ 310 per person! Might be a little rich for us, I start having chest pains at over $ 90 a person.

We've done the drive on the Coast before, its always foggy in the summer it seems so they never have been as spectacular as in the coffee table photo books.
    Yikes: $310/a person?! I hope that includes a bottle of 2007 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Savignon, or an '07 Opus One at least??!!

I was going to suggest The French Laundry too. I've never been to the Napa area, but it's supposed to be, hands down THE restaurant in northern California!

As far as wineries go, my parents toured Korbel way back when I was a toddler in the very early 80s & loved it. I've heard from friends that have been Silver Oak is a great stop, as well as Far Niente, Caymus & Opus One.

Lol, might be a great time to watch Sideways again for some pointers & suggestions...& it's such a great movie

Does your wife like chocolate, Duane? The Ghirardelli Factory tour is fun & of course, they give you chocolate afterwards

Might be too much to squeeze into during this trip; but, if you're looking for food & wine oriented things to do since y'all have already done the whole Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf thing, why not?

Sounds like your wife's a bit of a shopper, like me too...so,she'd probably love stopping by Gump's for a quick pop in & it's right there in the downtown area.