Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B&Y sofas on eBay & what happened to them??

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: B&Y sofas on eBay & what happened to them??

Ours is pretty dark...big noticeable difference from an unfilmed window. Yes it does change the look of the house a bit...but really not in a negative way.

Duane,

Is there any bubbling? Sixteen years is a substantial passage of time! How is it holding up?

TXCajun

Mine is holding up great. No bubbling, no peeling.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sstarrx2 Guest

Same here...only issue s two of the bottom windows failed and Jeld Wen replaced them...so I need to have the replacements now need retented. So I have a couple of non matching Windows right now. It's been 9 years for us with no issues with the film itself.

Quote Originally Posted by sstarrx2 View Post
    Ours is pretty dark...big noticeable difference from an unfilmed window. Yes it does change the look of the house a bit...but really not in a negative way.
    I think I'm getting it now. Saw a few houses several years ago with something on their windows that made the windows look substantially darker than their neighbor's windows & then the Homeowner's Association cracked down on it & suddenly, they were gone. I'm sure you can still get the lighter colors that Duane is referring to approved. But, pretty sure the Homeowner's Association has banned the use of the darker films that change the look of the exterior of your house...in cases such as that, what other options do ppl have? Is there a clear film(from outside appearances,) that provides the same level of protection as the darker ones?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Mine is holding up great. No bubbling, no peeling.
    That's good! If you've already posted this, I apologize, but can you post the maker of your film?

TXCajun

Same here...only issue s two of the bottom windows failed and Jeld Wen replaced them...so I need to have the replacements now need retented. So I have a couple of non matching Windows right now. It's been 9 years for us with no issues with the film itself.
    Hi, sstarrx2,

Would you explain the manner in which those two windows failed? Are they vinyl, aluminum, wood clad, wood?

TXCajun

sstarrx2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Hi, sstarrx2,

Would you explain the manner in which those two windows failed? Are they vinyl, aluminum, wood clad, wood?

TXCajun
    Sure, they are the double glassed vinyl windows. These type of windows have some sort of gas ,I think, in between the two pieces of glass. When one fails you will see these streaks in the window, that look like something is smeared on the window. Instead of a nice clear window it becomes almost opaque glass. I have owned three new homes that we had built by production builders. The first house we had many windows fail within the first few years, including a sliding glass door. The were under warranty and replaced. The window company went out of business so the builder had them replaced. Our second home I don't recall having any issues and I do not remember who made those windows. We have lived in our current home for 9 years and the windows have all been made by Jeld Wen. We have had 5 or 6 failures over these 9 years. I think we were in the home at least 5 years before the first failure. Luckily Jeld Wen windows have a 10 year replacement warranty. With production builders you have no control over what window vendor they use. If I were building with a custom home builder I would choose windows from a company with a good reputation with the longest warranty. These type of windows tend to fail over time, some more than others depending on the maker.
    Last edited by sstarrx2; 05-05-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    That's good! If you've already posted this, I apologize, but can you post the maker of your film?

TXCajun
    Too many years ago (16), but this is the company I used and apparently they use 3M from their website.

http://www.solareclipseglasstinting-...lm-3mfilm.com/
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sure, they are the double glassed vinyl windows. These type of windows have some sort of gas ,I think, in between the two pieces of glass. When one fails you will see these streaks in the window, that look like something is smeared on the window. Instead of a nice clear window it becomes almost opaque glass. I have owned three new homes that we had built by production builders. The first house we had many windows fail within the first few years, including a sliding glass door. The were under warranty and replaced. The window company went out of business so the builder had them replaced. Our second home I don't recall having any issues and I do not remember who made those windows. We have lived in our current home for 9 years and the windows have all been made by Jeld Wen. We have had 5 or 6 failures over these 9 years. I think we were in the home at least 5 years before the first failure. Luckily Jeld Wen windows have a 10 year replacement warranty. With production builders you have no control over what window vendor they use. If I were building with a custom home builder I would choose windows from a company with a good reputation with the longest warranty. These type of windows tend to fail over time, some more than others depending on the maker.
    sstarrx2,

Thank you! That is excellent information. Very helpful.

TXCajun