Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B&Y sofas on eBay & what happened to them??

Default B&Y sofas on eBay & what happened to them??

So, this lady is updating her entire living room & selling both these 10yr old B&Y sofas, another brand chair 1/2 & ottoman ALL for $299...great deal, right?

But, what in the world caused the extreme wear issues on the seat cushions, but not so much on the backs? Obviously, I think neglecting cleaning & conditioning the sofas, but wouldn't that have resulted in more uniform wearing?

Lol, I personally don't mind that level of wear, because I like the character it gives the piece & that beat up bomber jacket look, but it is VERY extreme!

Is this a protected/finished leather's paint worn off, or an aniline that's seriously dried out? Anybody know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture+_2016-05-03-11-51-57-1.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	8627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture+_2016-05-03-11-52-22-1.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	8628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture+_2016-05-03-11-52-09-1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	8629  

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: B&Y sofas on eBay & what happened to them??

Oh...hard to say from pick. I can tell you that I had a semi aniline recliner that the back cusion where my head r
    ested got like this from not properly caring for it. It was one big spot that felt and looked like a leather basketball that had been used on concrete or asphalt for years.

Quote Originally Posted by sstarrx2 View Post
    Oh...hard to say from pick. I can tell you that I had a semi aniline recliner that the back cusion where my head r
    ested got like this from not properly caring for it. It was one big spot that felt and looked like a leather basketball that had been used on concrete or asphalt for years.
    Hmm, interesting...well, an entire living room's worth of seating for $300 isn't bad, if you're in Michigan, which is where this listing is located. Maybe some Vaseline or Leather Magic can bring back some of the seats' luster, but that is some seriously worn leather!!

sstarrx2 Guest

Once it gets like this you can use leather recoloring balm on it...but that is forever and will need to be done pretty often if the furniture is used heavily. Like every few months. This is so bad I do not know if its worth the effort. This furniture needs to go to a frat house at this point!

Classic Sun Damage. The two throw pillows were in front of the left and right back cushions, which is why they don't have near the fade. That sofa is used up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Classic Sun Damage. The two throw pillows were in front of the left and right back cushions, which is why they don't have near the fade. That sofa is used up.
    Ok, so that's sun exposure wearing? Lol, well if that's not a scary enough result to make sure you protect your leather from sun damage, I dunno what is?! It's also 10 long years worth of sun exposure. Thankfully, this sofa frame is not to my liking, coupled with the fact it's located across the country...no deal is THAT great of a deal if it's not something you really like!

Duane, for future reference; what is this type of arm called? Is it considered just a roll arm, even tho the arm swoops in & then back out again to become flush with the cushions &/or base of the sofa? I see this type of arm on quite a few models within B&Y & H&M's lineup.

sstarrx2 Guest

Window film would have gone a long way here. We have an 18 foot vaulted Great Room with a ton of windows and filmed them all, plus blinds to keep the heat down. The only time the blinds are opened is in the winter on the coldest days to heat up the room. Saves the leather furniture though, from sun damage anyway.

Correct. I have the same situation, 18' ceilings and five large palladium windows, the sunlight pours in. We filmed the windows within 6 months of moving in and 16 years later it has really helped. There is still some sun fade (in retrospect, I would have bought several shades darker tint), but its tolerable.
    Duane Collie

Are these solar panels you guys talking about the kind that look like tint has been put on the windows from the exterior? Sometimes(actually, quite a lot of the time,) that tinting drastically changes the exterior look of your house, especially if you have a lighter brick or stone facing on your exterior walls.

Or, is this a clear flim you can place on your windows? I'm being honest when I say I've never heard of this before, unless it's the same stuff that looks like you just tinted your house windows?

Solar Window Film. It goes on the inside and has around 25 shades from light to dark. We picked third from the lightest, concerned it would darken the room. If I had to do it over, I would go around the middle, say the 10th or 12th shade. Ours is so light you can't even tell its on the windows, and I would have liked a little more sun blockage from the darker shades.
    Duane Collie