Thread: Hancock & Moore Westwood Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman # 2062 in Document Claret

Default Hancock & Moore Westwood Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman # 2062 in Document Claret

Here's the chair many of you have been waiting for, and was just introduced at the Spring 2016 High Point Market. It just arrived at my store today, and I had to unpack it and get it on the floor even though my store is full (the new Taylor King Sofa that came in alongside has to wait for a space). When the Sundance series was introduced a few years back it was a run-away hit, so much so that it's been knocked off by lesser companies. Folks loved the way it was tailored on the side and back, so it looks great floating in a room from all angles. A question I would get every week was "How can I get the look of a Sundance with the comfort of an Austin High Back?" Well, H&M has been listening, and they told the designer of the Sundance to make a new piece showing elements of both. The new Westwood series is the result.

This unit was on Market Special and I believe you will probably see it in the new Town and Country Program when that if overhauled in July, like it is every year. I am just speculating on that, but because the Market Special was in Document Claret, I think its a pretty good guess. The battery was dead on my Nikon D40 that I use for photos so as much as I hate to do it - these are iPhone 6 photos. Its been raining for 15 days straight and I only had a small window of dry to get this in unpacked and in the store.

How does it sit? Lovely! I want back and forth between the new Westwood and the Austin High Back Tilt chair and really cannot tell the difference in sit. This particular one has Ultra Down Seats and Back, so its extremely plush - and the Document in this color looks pretty good. Pick the style you like and sit in the most comfortable chair from any maker that I have come across, either the Westfield or the Austin High Back, tilt series. You won't be disappointed with either one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w1.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	8704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w2.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	8705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w3.jpg 
Views:	1076 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	8706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w4.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	8707
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Westwood Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman # 2062 in Document Claret

Here's another shot showing the two chairs (2038 Austin High Back Tilt and 2062 Westwood Tilt) and differences

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w5.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	8708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w6.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	8709
    Duane Collie

astropixel Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Westwood Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman # 2062 in Document Claret

Hi Duane and all,
    I've sat in a Westwood recliner and found it comfortable, but I've never seen a tilt-back chair.

I decided to forego the recliner because I'm looking at H&M for traditional seat construction and longevity. I also want the matching reclining chair to last as long as the sofa, so that seems like it should be a tilt-back.

I finally came across a description of the Tilt-Back from Duane:
    "The back moves through a motion arc controlled by a release cable that operates a gas strut. The base is 8-way hand-tied springs, stationary. Needs to be used with a matching ottoman. The strongest of all motion pieces."

So now my question is, does the gas strut let you stop at any random angle? If so, does it feel like you're balancing against the strut resistance? I'm assuming the release is only for the initial recline, or do you let go after you get into position?

I assume there's no electric version available for the Westwood tilt-back, but I figured I'd ask for confirmation.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but is there a unique difference between standard cushions and ultra down, specific to a tilt-back?

Thanks for any information and opinions.
    Last edited by astropixel; 08-09-2016 at 02:55 AM.

The gas strut allows you determine where in the arc you stop the back recline, and it holds firm until released again by the the switch you activate. If you get up out of the chair, the back will not move. There are no springs in the system. No electric version as you wouldn't need it, they are very smooth and easy to operate.

For most people in most leathers, standard cores seem to be better than ultra down in tilt backs.
    Duane Collie

The gas strut allows you determine where in the arc you stop the back recline, and it holds firm until released again by the the switch you activate. If you get up out of the chair, the back will not move. There are no springs in the system. No electric version as you wouldn't need it, they are very smooth and easy to operate.

For most people in most leathers, standard cores seem to be better than ultra down in tilt backs.
    Duane Collie

astropixel Guest

Thanks for the explanation Duane.
    I like the standard cushions on our Westwood sofa, so I was just wondering about the ultra down.