Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with BY leather choice...

sweet_johnny Guest

Default Help with BY leather choice...

Hello... my wife and I have made up our mind to get the BY Sterling Sectional and are now faced with choosing the leather. We could use some help!

It is really important to me to have a leather with a soft hand. I want the couch to have that loose draped leather, lived in look (and feel), where we can curl up and watch a movie or read a book (kinda like this). Almost all the pictures I see here of factory new sofas have very taught cushions, which is what we don't want. What contributes to that taught vs. that lived in look? Is it a product of leather choice or sofa choice or neither?

In terms of colors, we tend to gravitate toward the 85, 87, 88 colors... medium to dark browns with some hints of red.

Lastly, this will be a daily family couch for me, my wife, dog (maybe), kids (someday), and guests.

Based on all this, do you have any recommendations in the current BY leather manifest? We'd like to stay in Grade 5, but are willing to splurge on Grade 6 for the right leather.

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: Help with BY leather choice...

I can tell you that the picture you showed us looked like a sectional that had been used...allot. You may find a hard time finding a sofa that looks like that brand new, especially from BY or H&M. This is what they look like after a couple of years of good use. I have seen lesser companies sell leather furniture that the leather was loose from the get go.

9055 Series. GR 5
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

If you like the lived-in look and leather stretched from use, you could save yourself a lot of money by buying second-hand. You can find H&M and B&Y sofas that were actually lived-in in estate sales or on craigslist.

I absolutely LOVE my sample of the Gr6 9593-88. Softest outta all the leather samples I received & it's a pull up, so it'll give you that lived in look & feel.

I also received a sample of 9090-87 which is the closest to the 9593 series in feel & look. The 9090-87 is a bit more chocolate in color than the 9593-88...so, I'm still really on the fence about the two. I believe the 9090 series is a Gr3, but Duane could confirm on that better than I could. I think ultimately, I'll go with the 9593-88 as it's the closest to the look & feel that I'm going for(similar to RH's Brompton Cocoa.)

Just a word of caution on buying used upholstery. If the seller has pets in the house, check for flea eggs (small white nits) in the upholstery before you bring it home, that's the # 1 favorite place for fleas to nest, because there is always a host meal nearby (either animal or human), and they can be extremely difficult to get out of the upholstery. I have seen this happen many times, its fairly common. http://www.stopthefleas.com/fleas-in-furniture/

9090 BY leather is GR 3
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Just a word of caution on buying used upholstery. If the seller has pets in the house, check for flea eggs (small white nits) in the upholstery before you bring it home, that's the # 1 favorite place for fleas to nest, because there is always a host meal nearby (either animal or human), and they can be extremely difficult to get out of the upholstery. I have seen this happen many times, its fairly common. http://www.stopthefleas.com/fleas-in-furniture/

9090 BY leather is GR 3
    Ugh! That's prob the nastiest thing & most solid reason I've ever heard to never buy a used couch or chair off CL!! I can only imagine the major PIA it'd be to get those eggs outta the upholstery!

It's also got me thinking that since everyone in my family has multiple pets, is this going on with their furniture? We give them Advantix(sp ?) every month & we never get bit, but still...it's got me wondering now

If your pets have fleas, they ARE in the upholstery. I can guarantee it. This doesn't mean don't buy something used, but just be aware and LOOK at the pets in that home to see if they have fleas on their bellies, if they do - leave. Because fleas prefer to go onto dogs and cats, but if those pets are not around (say you brought that sofa home) they will go onto you for a blood meal. Just be observant of the environment.

When my wife and I were first married, we were given a 'used' sofa by some well-meaning neighbors, it was flea-infested and it took a few days before we realized we were getting bit by the little critters. Further investigation showed the white larvae in deep in the sofa. We took the sofa to the dumpster immediately, but there were already fleas in the carpet by then and we had to get the pros to come in to eradicate them.
    Duane Collie

I don't think they have fleas, as I've never seen fleas on them or any serious scratching. Nor has any of us ever been bit by a flea in as long as I can remember. We're very good pet owners in that they're all on monthly prescription flea & tick prevention meds & the dogs on anti-heartworm meds.

I know what you're saying tho: I've been to friend's houses where it's VERY evident their pets have fleas & you can see them on their dog's tummy

Mac33 Guest

Any opinion/comment about BY 9026-65 or 9107- 68 leathers? Would these reds be too overwhelming on Armando couch and 2 chairs. The room they would be in is large and bright. Thanks.