Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Westwood Sofa (6215-3) and Robinson Ottoman (084) in Tiburon Mink

astropixel Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Westwood Sofa (6215-3) and Robinson Ottoman (084) in Tiburon Mink

Our Westwood sofa and Robinson ottoman were built much faster than we expected (4 weeks after ordering), but then it was hard to wait another 4 weeks to get them shipped.
    I'm happy that we've got them now! The sofa is very comfortable with the Tiburon leather we chose and the ottoman is a good height to rest your feet on.

Leather is Tiburon Mink with Weston Ebony gimp added to the sofa, nails are Adobe and the wood finish is Artifacts. The Westwood Ebony trim on the ottoman was not an extra charge.

I think like 90% of the people who get hooked on Duane's board, I suffered from information overload for a couple of months before having to pull the trigger to order. That was the last week of the Spring sale, so I was glad there was a deadline. We started out expecting to get a protected leather (Equestrian) and ended up with a pull-up, which we're happy with.

The bustle back is very comfortable and it's starting to settle back a bit now after a sitting in it for a week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03508 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	8717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03517 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	8718

Next is the view walking into the family room, so one of the things that we really liked was the showy back and sides. The back faces our open kitchen, so we thought that view would be a bonus.
    I wish they had matched the leather better on this side since we see it every time we walk around the house. The rest of the sofa is color matched better, but this draws my eye every time I walk into the room. Disappointing since H&M is purportedly the pinnacle.

Name:	DSC03518 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	8719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03504 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	932 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	8720

The Robinson ottoman is a good size for the Westwood sofa and it has two drawers for remotes and stuff that helps clutter. I preferred the Tufted version (079) better, but my wife wanted this plainer version for a more contemporary feel. This is fine, but the flat top shows (temporary) heel indentations more than I think the tufted version would. I also thought that would tie into the sofa button back and sides nicely.

Name:	DSC03516 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	8721
    Last edited by astropixel; 05-15-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Jake8 Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Westwood Sofa (6215-3) and Robinson Ottoman (084) in Tiburon Mink

Congrats on your lovely new furniture! I really wouldn't have noticed the leather being mismatched if you had not mentioned it. Looks good to me. Our sofas were ordered the same time as yours I guess. Ours are done but we are still waiting for the delivery.

astropixel Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Westwood Sofa (6215-3) and Robinson Ottoman (084) in Tiburon Mink

Here are a couple more pix since the original post cut me off at 5.

We look down on this room from our 2nd floor, and this is what it looks like from above.
    Attachment 8722
    Looking down, you can see the heel indentations in the ottoman that I mentioned before. This was from last night, maybe 20 hours later. Not a big deal, but it might bother some people.

Here's a close up of the Adobe nails and gimp. I love the nails and even though the gimp is subtle, I think it helps tie together with the ottoman. We were initially going to do the welt in black too, but we chickened out.
    Attachment 8725

Finally, here are the ottoman drawers; good size for remotes and small stuff.
    Attachment 8724

I also wanted to thank Duane for sharing all of this information, helping us make good selections, and making the forum available to us all!

astropixel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jake8 View Post
    Congrats on your lovely new furniture! I really wouldn't have noticed the leather being mismatched if you had not mentioned it. Looks good to me. Our sofas were ordered the same time as yours I guess. Ours are done but we are still waiting for the delivery.
    Thanks Jake8 and best luck for a fast delivery on yours. It's hard to be patient after deliberating over the choices for so long and finally picking.
    I'm hoping we can make it to NC and take a factory tour before ordering the next installment. I understand there is usually another sale in August....

The new pieces are great! I like the leather combos and you are one of the first to get the new Westwood series.

I'm not seeing any mismatched panels in the photos from the first post (your attachments are not displaying in the 2nd post). With a Pull-Up leather like Tiburon, its extremely difficult to get panel tonal matches all the way around the sofa, that's much easier to accomplish with a finished (painted) leather. It's really the nature of a dyed natural product vs a painted one. Paint is easy, because its sprayed on, dyed takes on the natural characteristic of that portion of the hide. When I go into a room and see a slightly off-tone panel on a piece, my brain immediately snaps to "Ah! There's a piece in Full Top Grain Leather" and I don't see it as a fault, to me is shows it's the genuine article. Having said that, one in a great while the variance is too extreme and for that reason I'd like to see photos showing that panel area if you can.

Delivery can take a while with any of the blanket wrap services, they're simply not big enough to have trucks running to all regions of our vast country on a daily basis.

Thanks for your patronage! I do appreciate it and glad to hear you are pleased with your new furniture.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

astropixel Guest

Here are the photos that didn't show up in my last post for some reason.

Name:	DSC03522 (819x1024).jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	8749 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03531 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	8750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03514 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	8751

Here's the end that stands out to me. It's not jarring, but it is a single panel that's notably different with the rest of the sofa and ottoman being uniform in color. It also just happens to be the most visible part of the furniture from how it's situated.

Name:	DSC03519 (1024x683).jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	8752

sstarrx2 Guest

Yes, its noticeable, but does not hurt the overall look IMO. Are both side like that, or just the left side? If both sides are like that then I think its a plus. The ottoman looks ok too, that color difference does not take away from the look.

If that is something you would like me to look at in greater detail, then perhaps take several shots of that one panel from various angles. I find that it takes four or five photos from various positions to get a good overall feel of the color shifts.
    Duane Collie

astropixel Guest

Thanks Duane. I've calmed down about it, and the sofa's not going anywhere anyway.

I do like the pull-up leather, so can you tell me if this kind of shade variation is as likely with "colors", as opposed to our brownish Mink? I don't have my next order set in my mind yet, but was thinking side chairs in Weston Blueberry, Navy, Peacock or Cognac, or maybe Prairie Peacock or Chestnut after we look at samples. It seems like variations in browns seem more natural, whereas a big variation in strong colors would be more noticeable.

I'd like to get some sense of how much variation H&M would consider acceptable before I order again. I hadn't noticed tonal variations in photos posted here as I was scrutinizing details and making choices.

Thanks

Its really a function of all pure aniline leathers, though you will see more of a panel variance in tone in the pull-up class of hides vs say that super luxury leathers like Capri/Arizona/Quintessence. Weston is a mild pull-up, so you could also see that there as well, Prairie I expect will have it as well.

There really is no hard and fast criteria for that. It's in the hands of the cutter and sewer when they put the panels together. It's more or less understood to occur in pull-up hides and the answer would be from H&M "If they want consistency in the leather panels, then we advise ordering a finished (painted, protected) leather." Having said that I have been known to put on a purchase order "Customer requests as panel matches as even as possible in the piece". That will then prompt them to call me and they will say "We will do our best but you know we cannot guarantee it". To which I reply "That's fine, do the best you can". Been down that road more than a couple of times! However, if I do put that on the P.O., I do think they will pay a little more attention to it. But they will be what they will be.

It does take some getting used to if you have not experienced it before. It doesn't even bother me, I have several pieces in my own home that have color variances in panels, most my pull-ups do. But first time I saw it it was disconcerting!
    Duane Collie