Thread: Looking for leather reclining loveseat without center console

KurtandRob Guest

Default Looking for leather reclining loveseat without center console

We were just about to purchase 2 Flexsteel Miles (Latitude Collection) powered love seats that seemed great in the store. We read frightening reviews so we have come to your site. People say what you see in the showroom is not what you get. What brands do you recommend and where can we see them? We are in Blacksburg, VA. We are looking for a piece that has a relatively high back for my husband, who is tall. We also want one without a center console because we actually want to sit next to each other. We are looking for a space saver which reclines without needing space behind it to do so. We were shown a mock-up of the high quality insides and felt great about the purchase we almost made. We are not even sure we can trust the reviews, which is why we are glad to find this site, which we see has thoughtful and knowledgeable participants. Thank you.

Default Re: Looking for leather reclining loveseat without center console

I don't think you have to be fearful of the Flexsteel brand. The 'Latitude' collection is made in China, and its not as well constructed as the Flexsteel that is made in Iowa, Mississippi or Pennsylvania. I think you would be better served to buy a USA-made Flexsteel and be sure to get a Top Grain Leather on it. Much of the Chinese stuff is either bonded or bi-cast leather, and I would avoid that. The USA-made Flexsteel will cost more, but I think you will get that back in longevity. I used to be a Flexsteel dealer many years ago, and eventually surrendered the line as the quality standards were not up to what I wanted to carry. That doesn't mean it was a bad product, it's not - however It's not made to as fine a standard in workmanship as I like to see in upholstery. I did not carry their Latitude line as I thought it markedly inferior to the USA-made product. You are going to get what is exactly in the showroom however, there are no bait and switch models or something made exclusively for the dealers floor. If you were pleased with what you saw, then go ahead with it. Its all about price/value. I can tell you the top-line units to buy but that will not do you any good if it's 4 times over your budget.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

KurtandRob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I don't think you have to be fearful of the Flexsteel brand. The 'Latitude' collection is made in China, and its not as well constructed as the Flexsteel that is made in Iowa, Mississippi or Pennsylvania. I think you would be better served to buy a USA-made Flexsteel and be sure to get a Top Grain Leather on it. Much of the Chinese stuff is either bonded or bi-cast leather, and I would avoid that. The USA-made Flexsteel will cost more, but I think you will get that back in longevity. I used to be a Flexsteel dealer many years ago, and eventually surrendered the line as the quality standards were not up to what I wanted to carry. That doesn't mean it was a bad product, it's not - however It's not made to as fine a standard in workmanship as I like to see in upholstery. I did not carry their Latitude line as I thought it markedly inferior to the USA-made product. You are going to get what is exactly in the showroom however, there are no bait and switch models or something made exclusively for the dealers floor. If you were pleased with what you saw, then go ahead with it. Its all about price/value. I can tell you the top-line units to buy but that will not do you any good if it's 4 times over your budget.
    Thank you drcollie for helping us wade through the confusion with Flexsteel. We were shown a demo of the interior construction and were impressed and pleased. So you're saying there's no reason to think that multlayer engineeered wood and those cool looking springs are not being used in the Miles line? That makes us feel better. But the concerns you raise are good ones. Do you know if there is a similar loveseat by Flexsteel made in Iowa? Of course we'd rather have US made furniture. Where can we find which lines are made here in a higher back, no console leather loveseat? Are there other similar budget lines you recommend? And yes, while budget is a concern - we always try to find the highest quality items we can afford. We take care of our cars and keep them for many years, same with all our stuff. If you could suggest some better quality lines, we would enjoy looking at those for comparison and consideration of making that kind of investment. My husband bought a Lane recliner many years ago that is still working great and even looks pretty good, but since we got married, we need a chair for 2. We like to 'vote with our $" when possible to support good craftsmanship, so we could also consider saving up to buy a better piece. We just bought a new house and despite numerous inspections, found an expensive problem a few days after we closed, with no recourse but to fix it ourselve$$. An older home in the mountains of VA that was built for beauty but not for function, which is a heart breaker because we are all about energy efficiency and smart design.. My husband works in that field and so have I. In our former, tiny house, we went with quality all the time. We see how the corners cut here, in this larger house full of fake eye candy and sloppy workmanship costs so much more than if things had been done well. My husband has been fixing things non-stop and we'd rather get outdoors and enjoy this region instead of the ever growing honey - do list taking up all our time. This house is bigger with bigger problems and expenses so we have to be very careful with all our purchases. Nontheless,, to borrow from the carpenter's motto, 'measure twice, cut once' it would be great if we could find something that will last and grow more beautiful because we've enjoyed it for a long time together. Thank you for what you do.

Well, multi-layered engineered hardwood is just buzz-speak for plywood...lol, but that is the industry standard for new builds these days. To go with solid hardwood, you have to kick it up yet another price bracket to a company like Hancock and Moore, and that's akin to going out to buy a Seiko watch (Flexsteel) and winding up at the Rolex dealer.

I think USA-made Flexsteel (Latitudes is their Chinese variant) is fine for the price point, which I assume you will be getting for around $ 2,500 - $ 3,000 in a power loveseat? Again, avoid bi-cast or bonded leather at all costs - that's junk. You want top grain at a minimum. If it says FLEXSTEEL on it, then its USA made. The Latitudes line will not carry the flagship logo.

This is one of my current favorites for a motorized loveseat unit (its in my store). It's tailored well, built tight with no slop, and sits terrific. However this is a mid- $ 4K piece (Depending on leather and type of power):

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...eather-9049-91

One of the keys to motion furniture longevity is to realize the mechanism is subject to stress when open. So, when you are reclined in the unit and the doorbell or phone rings, don't jump out until you put the footrest down. I see lots of people do that and it puts lots of stress on the rivets on the pivot points, and can result in premature mechanism failure.
    Duane Collie

KurtandRob Guest

Default Re: Bradington Young # 932-70 Dual Battery Power Loveseat in leather 9049-91

Thanks drcollie. This may be something we could consider. We will be passing through your area Friday June 24 or Sat June 25. Will you be there then?
    We'd like to check the B&Y out and to see other pieces. Is there anything that has an additional head pillow like the Miles piece we saw? That one fit us well. The price was 2K. IF we could find that piece with the specs you suggest, we would strongly consider that or something like it. Sounds like it would be closer to 3K if we could find the US made top grain leather and that would be do-able.
    We ultimately need to create a conversation pit/ media viewing spot in our great room so we were hoping for 2 love seats set at a right angle or perhaps chairs. Depending on price, we may not be able to do it all at once.
    We appreciate your insights and ideas. In a world we seem to be losing customer service, it's great to have you and your site bucking that trend.

Default Re: Bradington Young # 932-70 Dual Battery Power Loveseat in leather 9049-91

I'm always here because I'm the only one here! Unless I get knocked out by an illness..... Note that I do close the store around lunchtime for 25 minutes or so to run to the bank, the post office and grab a sandwich most every day, and put a sign on the door to that effect. If time is pressing call ahead and let me know when you will be here and I will make sure I am not out when you arrive. Sorry, I have nothing in dual recliners that is even close to $ 2K, that's Flexsteel Chinese territory. Thanks!
    Duane Collie