Thread: City Sofa - Which Program is best?

PurpleFrog Guest

Default City Sofa - Which Program is best?

Good morning!

I am interested in the City sofa which is available in both the Town and Country and Just in Time promotions.
    There is a difference in the married leathers offered: T & C has Cavalier (grade 2 normally?) and Just in Time has Kip (don't know the grade on this one).
    Does anybody know anything about the 2 leathers that might sway my decision one way or another? I would like to reduce the pooling effect as much as possible.

I would honestly prefer the longer version, but I'm assuming this isn't available in either program?

I would want the firmest seat/back possible. I don't want to upgrade the cushions to down, but would like the option of higher fill. Can I do that with either program?

I know on T & C I can also chose another leather color in the same family and change leg color. I'm ok with not doing any of that as I am on a budget but still want an excellent quality sofa. I know this "cheese whiz" leather isn't what most would pick, but it is what I can afford at the moment (I also have a five month old teething Doberman so a $10K sofa would definitely be ulcer inducing and make me very unpleasant to live with).

Another thing to consider: My local stores (which have NO stock on the floor save a couple of recliners) participate in the T & C Promotion, but not Just in Time. So if I chose that promotion, I have to go through Duane (which I'd honestly prefer for either program).

In one of the side pics Duane posted of the City sofa it seems to cant back quite a bit. Is this really the case, Duane? I would prefer a straight(ish) back sofa, so if you think there is a really noticeable cant this might not be the sofa for me anyway. I did send a request for quotes (via this forum) on a few that I think might work for me including the City.

If there is anything else I'm missing or not thinking of, I am open to suggestions. I tried to glean information from the forum before posting, but I am sure I've missed something as there is SO MUCH information here!

Default Re: City Sofa - Which Program is best?

Kip is normally a GR 1 leather, and its very much a decent hide, as is the Cavalier. Truth be told, get the one you like, the performance aspects really are not much different. Both have a nice hand, are solid leathers, have a great track record. It can boil down to just color and price. Puddling will be the same - which is not much on either, these are Grade A Steer hides. When you see leather that is badly stretched, its because it was low-grade cow-hide instead of steer hide. H&M uses only the best components, including the best leather in the business.

Sorry, only the 9840 is in the programs (83" model of the City). The 9844 was in the program years ago, and didn't sell - everyone was buying the 9840 so the larger one was pulled out of the program.

Yes, you can get extra firm cores on seat and back both at no extra charge.

"Just in Time" is brand new, in fact the 'real' flyer just arrived in the mail yesterday. I had a pre-press copy. This promotion *may* be limited in time and scope, whereas Town and Country is not. The "Just in Time" program requires a dealer to qualify, so the ones that have no stock are not going to be in on it. Quite honestly, its so aggressively priced it's hard not to suggest you go that way, and as a side benefit its out the door in two weeks at H&M to boot.

You can adjust the pitch on the back of any sofa like the City where there is a Velcro engagement, just pull it off the back a little, and tag the velcro on at whatever angle you prefer. You can probably vary the pitch by about 10%.
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-01-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Yes, you can get extra firm cores on seat and back both at no extra charge.

Quite honestly, its so aggressively priced it's hard not to suggest you go that way, and as a side benefit its out the door in two weeks at H&M to boot.

You can adjust the pitch on the back of any sofa like the City where there is a Velcro engagement, just pull it off the back a little, and tag the velcro on at whatever angle you prefer. You can probably vary the pitch by about 10%.
    Thank you so much, I appreciate the information - I'm happy to hear the back can be slightly adjusted.
    And the price on the City on the "Just in Time" program is like "whoa!" - definitely a no brainer.

On another note: I was browsing through the 2016 Market thread and stumbled across the Monaco sofa and chair. You said you ordered the chair for your showroom - I am not finding either on the H&M website. Did they decide not to do it?!

The Monaco hasn't arrived yet, probably in 30 to 60 days.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.