Thread: New member looking for a great recliner recommendation.

Thomas R Guest

Default New member looking for a great recliner recommendation.

First off thanks for the add to your site. Very informative to say the least. My wife and I are looking for a quality leather recliner and it appears that there are some very knowlegable furniture people here so here we go. We have been looking at a Stickley Morris recliner but I'm wondering if a person is mainly paying for the name and if there are other manufacturers that make a better product. Most of the sales people we have been talking to don't seem to know much other than the price. We are looking for a chair that is going to last for years, is very comfortable (I snooze there more than I like to admit) and has a great tilt mech that doesn't squeak and grown overtime I tilt it back. We are open to look at any manufacture and would be open to total leather as well. Seems like my Internet searches mainly come back with Flexstel, Lazy boy etc. I look forward to reading what you all have to say.
    Thanks Tom and Patty

Default Re: New member looking for a great recliner recommendation.

You will be fine with a Stickley, and that is a unique design you won't find elsewhere, they dominate that Mission-style market. Virtually all USA-made recliners are built around either a Leggett & Platt mechanism or one made by Ultra-Mek, and those are the best mechanisms. Then you have a bunch of Chinese-made knockoffs of those units that won't be as strong and durable. Motorized recliners are less problematic than manual ones, contrary to popular thinking. The reason is the motor is gentle on mechanisms whereas manual ones get slammed back and forth by the user, and that stresses and weakens the rivets in the mechanism. Virtually any USA-Made recliner will be superior to an import. I carry Hancock & Moore as well as Bradington Young in my store, and their recliners last for decades - they may not have a style you like, however.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.