Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Home Furnishing Living Room Collection

Jenny Guest

Default Re: Best Home Furnishing Living Room Collection

It's a shame that you have to go down to vinyl What makes it so expensive, the reclining function?

Your largest single item cost in a sofa or loveseat is the cover itself, the leather. After that, the frame and then the mechanisms. Cost cutting measures are to first use cheap leathers, or go with bi-cast or bonded leather, and then vinyl the sides and backs. For the frame, its going to cheaper grades of plywood (solid hardwood is for only top tier brands) and then mechanisms can be sourced from China for pennies on the dollar vs USA-made ones.

I have pretty high demand standards as a dealer. If I wouldn't buy it for my own home, I won't sell it in my store. I have come to learn over the years that is not the best business model, because a smart businessman covers all aspects of the market and has something for every person that walks in the door, you make more money that way. My model is Old School, but I tend to not have unhappy customers who feel they didn't get value for their dollar, or the performance out of their purchase. So for that reason I don't sell the low end and even mid-level products - they have too many negatives. Understandable, they are marketing to a price point so they have to make the cuts to get there. My product line is top tier or upper mid-level.

Bradington Young is my go-to company for trying to stay price-friendly in motion furniture. If you stay with manual models and GR 1 hides (still all Top Grain) then about $ 6K for the pair. They will go way past 10 years though. Take care of them and its more like 30.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks for the explanation and also your recommendation of B&Y. I still have B&Y on my mind but wanted to check on a few other brand models. Waiting to go take a look at some of the B&Y models available on the floor at the local stores to get a feel.

On one of your older threads I read that you carry Flexsteel Furniture. But that was dating back to 2008. Any takes on Flexsteel as a brand and the Flexsteel Dominique model. One of my local furniture stores (Hudson) down here in FL carry them. I am more interested in only the Sofa and the Loveseat which they are asking for $4000.

We also liked the Palliser Harley Living Room Set.

Any takes on these 2?

I stopped carrying Flexsteel several years ago, the line is OK from a mid-point price perspective but didn't measure up to the standards I have for my store in product quality and workmanship. Palliser doesn't excite me......
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.