Thread: Yet another empty living room

Jenny Guest

Default Re: Yet another empty living room

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 12.38.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	8820

I kind of threw this together for you to give you an example of a couch with 2 accent chairs in that space. You could put the accent chairs facing the couch (like I have it now), or more facing the wall with the door (by putting the blue chair on the side of the sofa that's not by the mantle). If you do the latter, you could put a table under the window'ed wall by the door so you have a place to put keys/purses etc in your entry way. Having the separate chairs would ease up the hallway look.
    Last edited by Jenny; 06-03-2016 at 02:09 PM.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

I kind of threw this together for you to give you an example of a couch with 2 accent chairs in that space. You could put the accent chairs facing the couch (like I have it now), or more facing the wall with the door (by putting the blue chair on the side of the sofa that's not by the mantle). If you do the latter, you could put a table under the window by the door so you have a place to put keys/purses etc in your entry way. Having the separate chairs would ease up the hallway look.
    Oh, Jenny!
    I am such a visual person and that helps!
    And you reminded me I also need a fireplace screen... lol

The coffee table I have now is a huge map drawer carved monstrosity. I'd like something lighter looking. Maybe glass to keep it light? Or a mirror top? Hmmm, now my wheels are spinning.

Jenny Guest

I'm horrible at selecting accent tables, so I'll leave that to other forum members!

Just a FYI though - mirror tops (as well as all mirror sided furniture) can be a pain to keep clean. Just think of your bathroom mirror, and the toothpaste splatters and fingerprints you wipe off every so often. Now imagine that as a coffee table.

Here's a bit of purple and grey for you, with a light coffee table in the middle:

Name:	34dbdb7774acf8933e6c7eaeab6a08cc.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	8823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67c1ee0eeac976bade1d1dc76ce5fa22.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	8824

Edit: I just remembered, I visited a designer showhome a few weeks ago. Every year, the local association of interior designers does a complete re-do of someone's home. The home is then opened to the public for a few weeks and the designers get the opportunity to showcase their work. This one was a collaboration of 18 different designers from the Twin Cities. The theme this year was griege.

The owner literally wanted nothing but griege on her entire first floor, which sounded like it could get boring really quickly but worked really well for her:

http://mspmag.com/Contests-And-Promo...ase-Home-Tour/

You can check out the photos there

More light coffee tables:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7a57ba51eeccc30725a3c6bc60ed0a53.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	8821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a9e2746c8704ee604d4980cd02d5a71c.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	8822  
    Last edited by Jenny; 06-03-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleFrog View Post
    This made me laugh.
    And kinda want to puke.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK! Nearly spewed my coffee through my nose! Funny...and horrifyingly true.

TXCajun

I kind of threw this together for you to give you an example of a couch with 2 accent chairs in that space. You could put the accent chairs facing the couch (like I have it now), or more facing the wall with the door (by putting the blue chair on the side of the sofa that's not by the mantle). If you do the latter, you could put a table under the window'ed wall by the door so you have a place to put keys/purses etc in your entry way. Having the separate chairs would ease up the hallway look.
    You da bomb, Jenny! That's a fabulous visual aid.

TXCajun

Hi!
    I see you're from the Hill Country. I am originally from SA. I miss it down there. I'm in North Texas now.
    I do like the idea of a narrow long console and something "arty" above it for that wall.

Thank you, I am loving the wall color. Paint is something else I anguish over. I usually end up regretting my choice, but not this time.
    Hey, PurpleFrog.

Yep, I love the Texas hill country. And, I bet you do miss SA. It's a great place with so much to offer. What part of North Texas? Lots of good people up there!

TXCajun

Jenny Guest

One more for you. Not sure if it would fit in your space. Your room may be too narrow, causing the sofa to block key walking paths, but you could always move your existing sofa there and do a test run.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 3.24.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	8825

Its certainly more rustic. I didn't know this before but wingbacks are traditionally designed to go by fireplaces to protect from the heat. I didn't pick a rug or anything, but I'm sure you already know you should get one no matter the arrangement

PurpleFrog Guest

One more for you. Not sure if it would fit in your space. Your room may be too narrow, causing the sofa to block key walking paths, but you could always move your existing sofa there and do a test run.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 3.24.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	8825

Its certainly more rustic. I didn't know this before but wingbacks are traditionally designed to go by fireplaces to protect from the heat. I didn't pick a rug or anything, but I'm sure you already know you should get one no matter the arrangement
    You mean place the sofa directly in front of the fire place/TV? Yes, I thought of that too. I think that would work best with a loveseat rather than a full sofa.

You are handy with this photoshop thing and I did NOT know that about wingbacks!

Rugs. Oh my. That's another nightmare. I have a dog who marks though (which is why I had to replace the carpet) so I am thinking about an indoor/outdoor rug. I know it will happen and it will be tossed. He's 8 so I only have to accommodate him for a few more years. I'm just praying the puppy doesn't pick up the habit. I love males, but they are frustrating sometimes! He never marked until I started fostering.

PurpleFrog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Hey, PurpleFrog.

Yep, I love the Texas hill country. And, I bet you do miss SA. It's a great place with so much to offer. What part of North Texas? Lots of good people up there!

TXCajun
    You know what I really miss? Not having tornados!
    I had no idea they had so many up here.
    I'm in DFW.

Rugs. Oh my. That's another nightmare. I have a dog who marks though (which is why I had to replace the carpet) so I am thinking about an indoor/outdoor rug. I know it will happen and it will be tossed. He's 8 so I only have to accommodate him for a few more years. I'm just praying the puppy doesn't pick up the habit. I love males, but they are frustrating sometimes! He never marked until I started fostering.
    Good morning, Purple Frog.

Considering the dog issue, I think your idea of getting an indoor/outdoor rug, sort of temporarily, is a very good one. There are some rather good-looking ones out there, now! Is that a Doberman I see outside the door in one of your posted photos? I really like that breed!

You also wrote: You know what I really miss? Not having tornados! I had no idea they had so many up here. I'm in DFW.

Oooooh, yes, lots of them in North Texas. Been there, done that. They scare the liver out of me.

TXCajun