Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock and Moore Cut-away chair

Default Re: Like a kid at Christmas time...Hancock and Moore Cut-away chair

This is awesome.

CAmom Guest

Default Re: Like a kid at Christmas time...Hancock and Moore Cut-away chair

The H & M chair is really beautiful. The construction looks like a piece of art.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Cut-away chair

Unstick this post
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

It would be interesting to see a cutaway with the new construction methods and compare that to a cut away from something like Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware. Hopefully it would still be better in the H&M piece. But this piece they made for you showed really beautiful construction. I hope you keep it somewhere. It should be in a furniture museum somewhere demonstrating how construction methods in furniture have changed and evolved over time.

If you go back to this post, you can see several photos of builds. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...re-s-Factories

The Cut-away chair went in the dumpster recently. When my store gets full, we had moved it many times to the warehouse to make way for saleable items (my store is only 5K SF). One one of those moves, it came off the back of the truck since its unbalanced, and sheared the legs off - and the springs had become slightly surface rusted over the years - I decided to toss it.
    Duane Collie

Duane,

I suppose it would also have been inappropriate to keep this Barron mock-up in your store given your post a week or so before the one linked below about ‘Changes at Hancock and Moore’ where you indicated H&M was eliminating the solid maple or ash construction in favor of plywood. Even if it weren’t damaged, it no longer represents the way the furniture is made. I think that’s worth mentioning too.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you go back to this post, you can see several photos of builds. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...re-s-Factories

The Cut-away chair went in the dumpster recently. When my store gets full, we had moved it many times to the warehouse to make way for saleable items (my store is only 5K SF). One one of those moves, it came off the back of the truck since its unbalanced, and sheared the legs off - and the springs had become slightly surface rusted over the years - I decided to toss it.

Fact of the matter is when you only have a 5,000 s.f. showroom, every foot is valuable and that poor chair got moved in and out so many times, we basically wore it out. It was only in the store when we were light on floor stock and needed a filler item and it spent more time in the warehouse than the showroom. I can always get another upon request, showing current build structure but it will suffer the same fate of getting moved in and out, which is why I have not requested one. Instead, we take photos on our factory trips and you can see the builds there - they are fully disclosed.

Our store is fully packed right now, which is why we have some ridiculous markdowns on discontinued floor models that have to go. Chairs that were $ 2,000 are now $ 295 just to clear space -which means we are taking a loss on them. And if they don't clear out soon will be donated to charity....we have an H&M Sectional on the way in and no where to put it.
    Duane Collie

I know this is an old thread but my husband and I visited the H & M section of Furnitureland South in High Point, NC yesterday and they had the cutout chair on display there. It's always nice to see what the inside of furniture you may contemplate buying looks like on the inside and I'm glad that certain manufacturers show them online and in person at certain stores. It definitely shows whether they are proud of the construction or not when they openly show these.

Lol….they have a slightly larger showroom than The Keeping Room.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Lol….they have a slightly larger showroom than The Keeping Room.
    LOL, that place is HUGE!!!