Thread: Which Brand is Better?

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Which Brand is Better?

Hi, everyone. I'm going to look at two sofas for sale on Craigslist tomorrow. One (first photo) is an upholstered Klaussner, while the second is a slipcovered Thomasville Cabot House. This will replace the sofa currently in our study. The first works better in terms of "look," I think, since the second one is more formal. But I'm thinking I can make it a bit more colorful with pillows and a throw--plus, the slipcover is machine-washable, even if it's damask. We do have two dogs--a bichon and maltese--who love to lounge on the sofa. I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 5.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3k83o33pdZZZZZZZZZ96ga34af8b0b1cc1281.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0670.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0617.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0743.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	338  

Sarah Guest

Based on style alone I prefer the first. Could you maybe place a HUGE throw blanket on the sofa for the dogs to lounge on?

organic_smallhome Guest

Thanks for the feedback, Sarah!

I tried the throw-blanket route on the current sofa, and was FOREVER having to rearrange it. So I'm looking to replace it with a sofa that can be used as is. I think I also prefer, as do you, the lines of the first sofa, but am wondering whether the second (if it is clearly more comfortable and of better quality) can be made to look more informal with accessories. Here's a close-up of the fabric.

Name:	Picture 318.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	339  

organic_smallhome Guest

P.S. The reason I am so limited in my choices is that our doorways have only a 29" opening. The first sofa is 28"H and the second is 27"H.

organic_smallhome Guest

Okay, now I'm being annoying, but here's a better pic of my second option. Thanks.

Name:	Picture 272.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	340  

Sarah Guest

One more question - I really like the sofa you currently have in there. Does it truly need to be replaced?

If you are replacing it only because of the white dog hair being too obvious on the slightly darker color then I think that maybe the 2nd choice could be better as the subtle damask pattern may "mask" some of the dog hairs and like you said, the slipcover cushions could be washed. I don't think that sofa #1 will ever look truly casual but I think you could take it more in that direction w/ some throws & pillows, etc.

Sarah Guest

As to Thomasville quality, since the sofa is used it may be one of the "older" (higher quality) models that was made in the USA.

organic_smallhome Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    One more question - I really like the sofa you currently have in there. Does it truly need to be replaced?

If you are replacing it only because of the white dog hair being too obvious on the slightly darker color then I think that maybe the 2nd choice could be better as the subtle damask pattern may "mask" some of the dog hairs and like you said, the slipcover cushions could be washed. I don't think that sofa #1 will ever look truly casual but I think you could take it more in that direction w/ some throws & pillows, etc.
    Thanks, Sarah. Yes, unfortunately, the sofa does need to be replaced. The dogs don't shed, but they have "pilled" the sofa really badly (although you can't really see that in the photos). I will never buy chenille anything again. I just did a little research on quality. Apparently, Klaussner is a "decent" quality, and Thomasville's quality has gone downhill since they offshored manufacturing to China. At least, that's what I've picked up in my online research. I guess that, in the end, I will have to make the decision based on comfort. Thank you so much for the helpful feedback.

organic_smallhome Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    As to Thomasville quality, since the sofa is used it may be one of the "older" (higher quality) models that was made in the USA.
    It's 5 years old, so I'm wondering if it's old enough to have been fabricated in the USA? Which, of course, I'd much prefer.

Sarah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by organic_smallhome View Post
    It's 5 years old, so I'm wondering if it's old enough to have been fabricated in the USA? Which, of course, I'd much prefer.
    Five years ago Thomasville was still a mixed-production company manufacturing some of their goods domestically & outsourcing some overseas. I know that does not answer your question exactly but yes, there is a chance that a sofa of that age was still made in the USA. :]

I think you are on the right track though - since it's a toss up between the two, let the comfort level be your deciding factor.

Keep us updated & let us know what you ultimately decide on!