Thread: Yet another newbie with too many choices

carterinms@pngusa.ne Guest

Default Yet another newbie with too many choices

Quick intro - DH & I are almost finished rebuilding from Hurricane Katrina but now have no furniture. So I've been sofa shopping and am not sure what direction to go.

After going to several local stores, I settled on the Bassett Jefferson - mostly because I like how it looks. It's deeper than what I like, but was comfortable sitting with my feet under me (how I usually sit). Went home, showed DH a pic and was ready to purchase. Then I googled Bassett and wasn't thrilled with the customer reviews.

I wasn't considering leather until I found this site - H&M has such a large selection that I found some I liked. I also saw Taylor King recommended on the gardenweb - the nearest showroom is 70 miles away. So, here are some couches I like:

Basset Jefferson $1150 (cheapest fabric)
    Taylor King Aesthetic $2800 (cheapest fabric)
    Taylor King's Kings Road Line - Carmine or Skyy
    H&M - #4232 Robinson
    H&M - #4551 Jeremy

Some more info - I am 5'-3", DH is 5'-5", we have 2 girls (3 & 6). We will probably have dogs and cats in the house in the future. I heard a horrible story about leather workers in Pakistan - they start them as young boys and it is rare for them to work past 20 because of the chemicals. I'm not against buying leather from somewhere else, if the parent company insists on safety at their oversees factories.

All of our money has gone into the house. And we still need to buy more furniture. I hate to put out $5K on a couch, even if it will last a lifetime. Even $2K sounds on the high side to me, but maybe I'm being unrealistic.

So, how long could I expect the Bassett to last?
    How about the Taylor King upholstery?
    I gather H&M leather will last a lifetime. Could I get a price on those two sofas?

Since at this point I am considering ordering a couch unseen (unsat?), is there somewhere on-line I could order TK for an internet price?

Seating wise - I prefer a shorter seat (so much for the bassett), tight back. I sat on an England and the cushions felt too foamy (as in cheap). I'm guessing that for seat cushions I like an average softness/firmness. Pretty vague - I've sat on couches all my life but now that I have to buy one, I'm lost!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bassett2.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aesthetic.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	342  

Ok, maybe I could pay $5K for the Hancock and Moore Kingwood Sofa #4320 in the photo's page. It looks so much better in those photos than on the H&M website.

Now I'm thinking that my best bet is to buy some cheap sofas off of CL to get us buy, and start buying good quality as I can afford to. I may be able to swing one H&M - Duane, could you give me prices on the 4232, 4320, and 4551 in kid/pet friendly grade? I really like the Kingwood - it feels very New Orleans, which is a look we are trying to achieve.

Thanks! and sorry about my username. I too am a newbie with my MacBook and didn't notice that it volunteered the @stuff after my standard "carterinms" username!

- Erica

$ 3,059 on the # 4320 in Grade 1 leather.
    $ 3,092 on the # 4232 in Grade 1 leather.
    $ 3,159 on the # 4551 in Grade 1 leather.

Shipping addt'l.

Check out the Town and Country promotional items, and the price sheet I have that you can download. If you want H&M quality on a budget, this is the place to look:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/showthread.php?t=273

As for Taylor King, I plan to start carrying that soon, but just recently added Councill and can't afford to take on a new line (and required floor stock) so soon.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.