Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello! (and help choosing reading chair)

Default Re: Hello! (and help choosing reading chair)

Too extreme a difference for most, the Capri is a very refined, super-soft hide whereas the burnishes is more gnarly-looking. Can you do it? Yes - but it will be a radical transition in the hides from one segment to the other. It might be something to do in the darker colors, rather than lighter as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

cat@atl Guest

Thanks for your take on this. I can totally see what you mean in light vs dark colors. I also realized that such a chair would require 2 different kinds of maintenance/cleaning kits... It could also be distracting if one's sitting there and touches the leathers at the soft/shiny boundary.

I'll ponder doing a pillow to get my fix of the different leathers. That could be a way to connect to the chocolate-colored couch.
    Last edited by cat@atl; 08-25-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Same cleaning and care kit, the only difference is on pure anilines you would use a hair dryer in application to prevent any water stains from the cleaner being on there too long.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Thanks! Duly noted.

I have taped off width/depth for my potential recliner finalists and think I need to go smaller than the Miller bustle back. Went back to look at smaller chairs and found the Sarah recliner.

I really like the way it looks. It kind of reminded me of Fluevog women's shoes (the more aggressively retro ones). It has a bustle back which I hope means comfort. But I can't find any photos other than the stock photos in the H&M website, nor any reviews.

Has anyone met Sarah and is she nice? I can see the arms are much smaller (not rolled) so there won't be an ample armrest like with the Miller. Anything else?

I've not had the "Sarah" model come through my store, so no hands-on experience with it or photos.

I will say if you are looking at a recliner in that design, this one (in my opinion) is the one to beat. It has a new style Ultra-Mek mechanism and a wonderful sitting 'pocket' in it. The CEO of H&M was so excited about this new recliner he just about made every dealer buy one (who can say "no" to Jack?) and I have this in my store as well, a new arrival. Worth a look.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/New-P...nning-Recliner
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Hmm. I've been looking at winged recliners for so long, the Manning looks so... exposed. But I see that the arm rests are a bit more built up, which is good.

Also, is it true that at full recline, the Manning is 63" long? I'm around 5'4" and would that mean my feet will be sticking out when I recline (never mind fully recline) unless I seriously shimmy up the backrest? The Sarah is listed at 71" when fully extended (in the H&M e-catalog; the website doesn't say). Is that somehow addressed by the piece's geometry and the"pocket" you mentioned? These recliners are about the same size, I see Sarah's ~3" deeper and ~2" taller. Taking up less space when fully recliner (Manning) would certainly be a plus.

I found the discussion on the Manning chair http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...n-Hutton-Birch
    and a poster asked about the thickness of the cushions. Which reminded me about something I've been meaning to ask:

for recliners, I realize they are built differently than stationary chairs (seat/backrest "floating" on the base I'm guessing). But do they have the same set-up as far as hand-tied springs, etc. as pictured at http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Craftsmanship

From what I can see, generally, the chairs weigh about 10 pounds less than the recliners in the same style, so I'm assuming reclining mechanism aside, the backrest and seat are built the same way as pictured. Is this so?

Thank you for humoring all these questions!

The build standard is across the line as long as they are in the same category. Obviously stationary cannot have the same build as motion. Now on certain chairs and maybe sofas, there will not be an 8-way spring deck, because there is no room for it in the design. And no, I don't have a list of those chairs! However when you see a chair like this you know its going to have a no-sag suspension as that's all it has room for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1801_Captain's_1_PR.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	9076
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

I've settled on the Sarah recliner. Ooh, my heart's fluttering a little!

My biggest worry with the Sarah has been the lack of rolled arms... I've guesstimated that the arm rests are about 3" wide. Turns out my rocking chair has 3" wide arm rests and that's quite comfortable (the arm rests, not the rocking chair...).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	9079 This is a photo taken from the dining room. You can see the dining table and granny's sideboard. The sideboard, we think, is mahogany. The table, we know, is Cost Plus World Market rubberwood (mahogany-ish stain). Red oak floors. The pseudo-Tiffany lamp moves around, ignore it. Red dot marks the height of the Sarah recliner--note side view taped to the rocking chair. Biggest tape outline is for the Miller recliner, then Greyson, then Sarah=smallest.

LEATHER: I considered the burnished hides but any squeaking will bug me so I've decided to go with Capri. I got Harness and Butternut in my samples and they look very similar (Harness is bit lighter). I actually like the Butternut color best (redder?, reads more like the tones of our mahogany wood) but wonder if I should go with Harness because the house is kind of dark. Please advise!

LEGS: I'm thinking the mahogany distressed (since I'm sure I'll distress them anyway when I whack them with the vacuum cleaner). Or medium oak... but will it look weird if the legs sort of disappear on the oak floors?

NAILS: whatever standard brass-type color, best if they blend in. I think this chair has enough vavoom, don't need any more emphasis on the curves.

Thanks!!!

You won't miss the rolled arms, unless you are going to actually sit on the arm itself (not recommended) its pretty much a moot point. You can never - ever go wrong with Capri if you can get past the price. Butternut to my eye is richer and more vibrant, Harness is more mainstream brown. Both are excellent. Wood finish? Well, in-for-a-penny, in-for-a-pound as they say.... Belgian Chocolate Premium finish with Capri (adds $ 175) and don't whack it with the vac cleaner!
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Butternut--sold!

Belgian chocolate legs... um... by my calculation, I could buy 25 pounds of actual Belgian chocolate for that amount, so I think I'll pass. No offense to your fine taste and the most excellent craftspeople at H&M! Although you could argue that the Belgian chocolate legs would be around for a lot longer, and you would not be wrong.

I did not order any wood samples (doh!) but it seems that the standard mahogany colors are the closest to the Belgian choco premium finish. So I'll be going with one of those or the Mesa. I'll ask about that when I place my order.

Thanks all for all your help!