Thread: Question on Leather - City Sofa purchase

Marie1967 Guest

Default Question on Leather - City Sofa purchase

I have been doing so much research on leather furniture that my head is spinning, but many of my queries have lead me to this forum. Long story short, this afternoon I purchased a Hancock and Moore 9840 city sofa for $3,549.00 from Stickley Audi & Co. in Victor, NY. The leather finish on my sales order states mahogany distressed ultra down seats and backs. The saleswoman (who I am sure is completely sick of me!) emphatically states that it is top grain, alaline leather - NOT the married cover leather. Does Hancock & Moore still manufacture the married cover sofas? Can I be certain that she was being completely upfront with me?

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Summer Sale Period now in effect through Sept 6th.

You didn't mention which leather you chose. Mahogany distressed is the wood finish.

There are two promotional programs for the City Sofa (9840). The Quick Ship program offers the most aggressive pricing and the married cover for the City Sofa is the Kip Mocha or Kip Tweed. Kip is a Gr. 1 leather with a protective finish.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...0&d=1461963283

The other program is the Town and Country. The married covers for the City are Cavalier (Henna, Mocha, or Taupe), a Gr. 2 aniline with a protected finish. The T&C is roughly 20% off regular retail for dealers that participate.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...4&d=1406324321
    Last edited by Kyracer57; 08-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Default Re: Question on Leather - City Sofa purchase

Yeah your order should have a leather grade and name/number on it. That will tell you what type of leather it is.

Marie1967 Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Summer Sale Period now in effect through Sept 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyracer57 View Post
    You didn't mention which leather you chose. Mahogany distressed is the wood finish.

There are two promotional programs for the City Sofa (9840). The Quick Ship program offers the most aggressive pricing and the married cover for the City Sofa is the Kip Mocha or Kip Tweed. Kip is a Gr. 1 leather with a protective finish.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...0&d=1461963283

The other program is the Town and Country. The married covers for the City are Cavalier (Henna, Mocha, or Taupe), a Gr. 2 aniline with a protected finish. The T&C is roughly 20% off regular retail for dealers that participate.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/atta...4&d=1406324321
    Thanks very much for your reply. I ordered the Cavalier Mocha, so it is the Town & Country married cover. We currently have a Lane leather sofa/chair/recliner that has peeled all over the welts and in some spots on the cushions after less than four years, so I really want a quality sofa that will last for years (without breaking the bank!). Hoping this will fit the bill.

Cavalier Mocha is not a pure aniline, it's a Semi-Aniline leather that comes out of China that is topcoated and is the married cover for the # 9840 series frame.

Any top-coated leather such as Cavalier can peel and erode over time, one of the keys is to regularly do your cleaning and conditioning maintenance. Every three months is preferred using the correct Leather Solutions product, but if that's a schedule too hard to keep you can do pretty good by doing it every six months (I do this myself). Failure to keep the leather clean and moisturized is one of the causes of 'peeling', however a pure Aniline will never friction wear (peeling) as it's not top-coated.

Generally I find the Cavalier series to be a good-performer over time with very few issues. I don't anticipate you will have any issues if you do your maintenance.

I would have loved to save you some money on your H&M, next piece you might want to get for your home let me have the opportunity to give you a price quote. Sorry you did not get accurate information from your salesperson. Good luck.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-20-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Marie1967 Guest

Oh dear, I'm feeling a little disheartened right now. I will definitely plan to clean/condition the sofa regularly using the Leather Solutions product.

Should not be a hassle at all since it's just the sofa (went with a fabric side chair and recliner). Just hoping for a little reassurance that it will wear better and last longer than what I have now.

Thank you for your reply drcollie.