Thread: Need help on cusions for Baker sofa

susano Guest

Default Need help on cusions for Baker sofa

Hi, I just found this forum while Googling about cushions. I really hope someone here can help me!

I recently bought a used Baker sofa on eBay. Very scary buying a sofa online but because it's a Baker, I went for it. This is the sofa:

https://www.bakerfurniture.com/livin...-sofa-3766-97/

I paid 1250. plus 735. shipping (New Jersey to Michigan). Before buying it I called around (North Carolina) and the best price was six grand, new (without shipping), so two grand (a fortune to me) was a good price. It arrived and is beautiful, upholstered in white ultrasuede. It comes standard with Baker "comfort cushions". I don't know what those are but I'm guessing a foam core wrapped in a down layer and then dacron (or whatever that stuff is). I'm pretty sure there are no innerspirngs. Surprisingly, the cushions are not comfortable. When you sit on them they compact to something dense and have no give so they end up feeling hard. While I don't want to spend any more money (!!!), I want it fixed so I need new cushion innards.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve a very soft but springy cushion? I'm really picky about this and have to have soft but not feathers. I don't know what foam density meets my criteria and if they should have a double layer of dacron or what. I have another sofa with foam cushions and I find those too hard, though they are springy. I'm guessing that foam comes all kinds of density so I really some advise to make sure I get what's right. Also, do you know if there are any companies that would make these? I could send my seat cushions to them to have them done. I'd like them to feel as soft as my memory foam mattress topper.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by susano; 08-18-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Default Re: Need help on cusions for Baker sofa

Seat cores are engineered to a piece, you cannot just 'make some up' that would be a mistake. And a local upholstery shop won't be any better. As that is a current model, have a Baker dealer explain the options to you and source a new set from the factory, as they will still have patterns. I don't know Baker's pricing structure, but be prepared to spend $ 150 per core. That's the only right way to do it, anything else and I will guarantee that you won't be happy with the end result.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

susano Guest

Thanks, drcollie. Why couldn't someone else make cushions? Don't people have new cushions made for vintage and antique seating? I will call Baker but I'm concerned I'll get more of the same which aren't comfortable.

Vintage and Antique cushions are usually horsehair or down, they are not made of modern materials. There will be plenty of places that will make you a cushion core, feel free to go that route. I suggest you do not call Baker direct as they will re-direct you to a dealer, but that's your call as well. You assume new cores would not be comfortable from Baker, but you have purchased a used piece and the cores may be broken down, or they are of a type you don't like, and off EBAY they may not even be an OEM core unless you can see them marked as such inside the casings.

There are probably have a dozen core options from Baker that a dealer can explain to you. Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

susano Guest

Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.

Just because you mentioned price and you don't know what the 'regular' core should feel like, I would recommend ordering one core and making sure you are happy before getting all three. Or find a local showroom that you can sit on the sofa and confirm what cores are in it.

susano Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Just because you mentioned price and you don't know what the 'regular' core should feel like, I would recommend ordering one core and making sure you are happy before getting all three. Or find a local showroom that you can sit on the sofa and confirm what cores are in it.
    Thank you and that's a good idea.