Thread: Leather Recliner or Tilt Back questions

Default Leather Recliner or Tilt Back questions

The other day I stopped in a nearby furniture store that sells H&M furniture and noticed they had a special sale on I believe this model of chair in two leather covers - http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...Chair-Recliner

I have some basic questions - Are there any other chairs in the same program/pricing? Does H&M let you change out the legs design and wood tone or is that a different model? I see the 1001 almost looks the same as the 1021 so what is the difference there?

I'm 5' 8" so what other chairs in from H&M would be a good match?

I know this is a bit vague but I didn't expect to see anything jump out at me and the price on this char caught my eye for an H&M piece.

Default Re: Leather Recliner or Tilt Back questions

The two program features for Hancock and Moore are posted here in the LEATHER section. One is "Town and Country" and the other is "Just in Time". There are a variety of models in each program.

Recliner legs can never be swapped out, but you can specify a finish if you like other than the standard Mahogany Distress.

1001 Browning and 1021 Woodbridge are identical except the 1001 has nail trim on the outer wing.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The two program features for Hancock and Moore are posted here in the LEATHER section. One is "Town and Country" and the other is "Just in Time". There are a variety of models in each program.

Recliner legs can never be swapped out, but you can specify a finish if you like other than the standard Mahogany Distress.

1001 Browning and 1021 Woodbridge are identical except the 1001 has nail trim on the outer wing.
    Thanks for the response. I think the program must of been the JIT one because the sales lady said there were only two leathers available and that matches what your post says. I know you don't do price quotes over the internet but is there a ballpark estimate what the price difference between JIT and T&C pricing would be for that chair in similar leathers? Also as usual my dilemma is finding an H&M dealer with the recliner/tiltback models I want to try out.

Sorry, can't post that here (prices). That's an agreement I have with H&M and something I need to stick with. The 2-week Quick Ship program is more aggressive in price than Town and Country, but as you know the choices are more limited. You can fill out a request for specific pricing here on the forum, please limit that request to three quotes.
    Duane Collie

Sorry, can't post that here (prices). That's an agreement I have with H&M and something I need to stick with. The 2-week Quick Ship program is more aggressive in price than Town and Country, but as you know the choices are more limited. You can fill out a request for specific pricing here on the forum, please limit that request to three quotes.
    I apologize, I was more asking for a ballpark percentage difference between the two program for the same piece than actual prices but understand what you are saying. I'll do some more research on what chairs I like and then when I have narrowed down my choices give you a request.
    Last edited by Briant73; 08-24-2016 at 12:29 PM.

So has anyone had any experience with the H&M Powell recliner? Also are the legs changeable on it?

Can't swap legs out on any recliner, and to the best of my knowledge no maker does that. The recliner mechanism has a 'sweep' under the chair and misses the floor by a small amount, plus legs are bonded to frames in most recliners, so it just becomes too much work to do so. The Powell is a classic bustle back recliner, and like all in that category they typically have a good seating position.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

My 20 cents as a recent recliner-obsessed shopper who ordered the Sarah recliner sight unseen. I did try the Miller Lounger and Sundance Recliner at a local store (did not order from them due to utter lack of customer service).

I just put all my choices in Excel and compared specs like crazy, going back to the Miller (notes/photos/memory) as my reference point. I worked on the assumption that with similar footprints, less seat depth = more upright seating when fully upright. Beyond that, for each general recliner "size" (seems there's smaller/transitional, medium, tall) the chair's "skeleton" is pretty much the same. You get variable arms (rolled, not rolled), backs (bustle vs tufted vs flat), wings/no wings, and leg variability (how much exposed wood, shape thereof). Then of course there's the trim (nails/no nails; standard vs premium), leather color/grade, and leg finish (again, std. vs premium).

I assume you tried the Woodbridge? The Powell has 1/2" less in both seat width and depth compared to the Woodbridge. Will that work for you? The Powell also uses more fabric/leather so that impacts cost (and if you were happy with the Woodbridge, you could opt to upgrade the leather if you want more oomph).

For my decision process, I felt comfortable ordering the Sarah because it had the same seat depth/width as the Miller, but expect it will sit a little more upright since the Miller is a lounger. Somewhere in this forum, Duane mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong!) that some shorter folks (that's me!) can find the Woodbridge's smaller top backrest cushion problematic--meaning that their head hits the divide between the two back cushions. The Miller had the bigger cushion on top so I decided to go with that. Someday I'd like to try out a Woodbridge as I really like its looks. But seeing as the local store didn't have it, I didn't want to risk the potential cushion issue.

And this just made me think of something: in these recliners, are the back cushions removable? Can you move the lower cushion to the top?

Can't swap legs out on any recliner, and to the best of my knowledge no maker does that. The recliner mechanism has a 'sweep' under the chair and misses the floor by a small amount, plus legs are bonded to frames in most recliners, so it just becomes too much work to do so. The Powell is a classic bustle back recliner, and like all in that category they typically have a good seating position.
    Per the feet, I know some makers have the same style chair with different legs/feet (different model number) so figured I'd ask. Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by Briant73; 09-12-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wording

Quote Originally Posted by cat@atl View Post
    My 20 cents as a recent recliner-obsessed shopper who ordered the Sarah recliner sight unseen. I did try the Miller Lounger and Sundance Recliner at a local store (did not order from them due to utter lack of customer service).

I just put all my choices in Excel and compared specs like crazy, going back to the Miller (notes/photos/memory) as my reference point. I worked on the assumption that with similar footprints, less seat depth = more upright seating when fully upright. Beyond that, for each general recliner "size" (seems there's smaller/transitional, medium, tall) the chair's "skeleton" is pretty much the same. You get variable arms (rolled, not rolled), backs (bustle vs tufted vs flat), wings/no wings, and leg variability (how much exposed wood, shape thereof). Then of course there's the trim (nails/no nails; standard vs premium), leather color/grade, and leg finish (again, std. vs premium).

I assume you tried the Woodbridge? The Powell has 1/2" less in both seat width and depth compared to the Woodbridge. Will that work for you? The Powell also uses more fabric/leather so that impacts cost (and if you were happy with the Woodbridge, you could opt to upgrade the leather if you want more oomph).

For my decision process, I felt comfortable ordering the Sarah because it had the same seat depth/width as the Miller, but expect it will sit a little more upright since the Miller is a lounger. Somewhere in this forum, Duane mentioned (correct me if I'm wrong!) that some shorter folks (that's me!) can find the Woodbridge's smaller top backrest cushion problematic--meaning that their head hits the divide between the two back cushions. The Miller had the bigger cushion on top so I decided to go with that. Someday I'd like to try out a Woodbridge as I really like its looks. But seeing as the local store didn't have it, I didn't want to risk the potential cushion issue.

And this just made me think of something: in these recliners, are the back cushions removable? Can you move the lower cushion to the top?
    The reason I keyed on the Powell is that it's close in look and dimensions to my current recliner ( http://www.smithbrothersfurniture.co.../bcs/recliners ) but the Miller is another one I like though arm height is a bit higher than I'd like. Thanks for your response as it gives me some different things to think about.
    Last edited by Briant73; 09-12-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling/wording