Thread: Winding down decisions... Capri vs. Apache!

jsouthampton Guest

Default Winding down decisions... Capri vs. Apache!

Trying to get our H&M purchase in during this sales period-- looking to order the Utah sofa in hand antiqued saddle (love!) but struggling over the leather selection for two Roy loungers that will flank the sofa. The Utah is to stand out as the showpiece, with the Roys as inviting, more casual supporting characters. Wish list includes a leather that will compliment the hand antiqued saddle and provide some contrast/not overshadow or clash as the pieces will be close to one another, not so tough or non-pliable so that will it be comfy for naps, and an appearance that lends itself well to a transitional farmhouse environment. Out of the ~30 samples I requested (thanks Duane!), our favorites are Apache Espresso (class 2) and Capri Tobacco (class 4). I feel that Apache (my fav) provides the most contrast and I happen to love the feel and matte-ness/worness of it, but as everyone here knows, the Capri is like butter. I have a demanding but rewarding job and work long hours and the husband does a lot of physical work and suffers from chronic back pain-- one priority is ultimate comfort when we find time to relax. Trying to balance appearance vs cohesion vs tactile experience vs economy, who knew buying furniture would be so perplexing!

Thoughts on these combos? I've attached a photo below of the samples next to one another.
    Left: Apache Espresso
    Middle: Hand Antiqued Saddle
    Right: Capri Tobacco

Wild card: didn't really look at many Class 4s the first time around as I was trying to stay away from that price point-- love the (likely wildly inaccurate) online swatch for Custer Camel, a lighter color for the chairs. Thoughts on this leather and how it compares to the other choices?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	9077  

Default Re: Winding down decisions... Capri vs. Apache!

You're right, Apache does provide the contrast. However, on my monitor the Capri Tobacco appears to be in the same color family as your choice for the sofa, giving more of the tone on tone look I prefer, and would be my choice. Of course I don't have to pay the bill either.

jsouthampton Guest

Thanks for the input Lloyd! Your sentiments echo mine-- Capri jives so very nicely with the saddle leather, but then again sometimes I tend to rebel against matching TOO perfectly. Hahaha yeah, then there's the bill-- hard to stomach paying 25% more for a leather I may only like 5% more.

It's all based around the Utah in the H/A Saddle. Capri will be too 'slick/fancy' looking next to it. You need a leather that is more a companion hide...possible suggestions:

* Hyde Park Tan Burnished
    * Giseppe Saddle Burnished
    * Wade Chestnut
    * Tiburon Sable or Chestnut

I know, you don't have samples of those and time ir running out! All are GR 3 leathers.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-01-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jsouthampton Guest

Thanks for the reply Duane! That was one of my fears. It's difficult to see the bigger picture with small samples only. Capri is out then, I really want a more cohesive, but not too matchy matchy, look. I do have a few samples that are in those colorways while not being the exact color. I can also make the drive out to visit a local place (where the sales people are all about selling you their protection plan) and check out the full H&M color rings. Do you have any thoughts on Apache? I couldn't find any examples or any reviews on the forum. I do want a leather that provides a great tactile experience, do you think the burnished leathers will provide this? Husband will be spending a lot of time in the recliner and I want it to by pleasing. I can tell his back has been bothering him more and more, he's even talking about turning in his sportster for a street glide-- never thought that day would come! Also, one last thought-- I love how hand antiqued saddle looks on the Summerfield Chair (pics on your forum), do you think it will translate well to the Utah (no tufting)?

I went and pulled my Apache Espresso sample and .... well..... I have to say, not my favorite. It looks like it can get somewhat 'muddy' in appearance, and its not a very rich leather. I think there are better choices, quite honestly. See my list above. Its too late to get samples from H&M to get in under the sale period right now, but I do have swatches from my store I can mail out via Overnight mail (you just pay that cost).

Yes, the Antique Saddle will translate well to the Utah!

Best
    Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.