Thread: Morning Commute

Default Morning Commute

I'm getting back into bicycling at age 62 and overweight. Today was the first day I rode into work at the store 14.8 miles and 1 hour, 8 minutes. Great ride in, had a blast. I'm trying to do at least 60 miles per week and having so much fun on my A2B Alva+ that I find excuses to go out on it. Note this is an E-Bike, with a battery boost assist, and that makes all the difference on the steep, long hills we have here in Virginia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commute.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	9081
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Morning Commute

Nice Duane! When I read 14.8 miles I was like wow that is a big ride for just starting out, and then I saw the ebike part. How do you like it, and have you had it for long? I have been sort of interested in an ebike for a while but haven't seriously shopped, what made you pick the Alva vs others?

ViviV Guest

Way to go Duane! Its never too late to get on the bike! It's great exercise. And that is one cool bike!! I've argued many times for an E-bike but my 15 mile ride around the neighborhood 3 times a week is not deserving of this kind of help (I'm told). We're a cycling family (well, we"re also a hockey family, a soccer family....) mainly because of my husband who loves to cycle. We go to many bicycle rides around the Lone Star state. I am mostly in a "supporting" role at the events, if you know what I mean. Our 16 yr. old is a good cyclist and he and hubby just did a 105 mile ride in Wichita Falls, Texas called "Hotter Than Hell" last weekend. Craziness, that's what that is. Google it, you'll see that over 10k cyclists show up for the yearly event. The ride takes everyone through the town of Hell, Texas, where they cross Hell's gate!! Usually the weather is around 100 degrees making it really "hotter than hell!!"

I ride a red Dutch-style bicycle which is the "embarrassment" of my all-male crew. It's a neat bike made by a company in San Francisco called Public Bicycles. They have an E-bike that is neat too. I try to ride about 45 miles per week, weather and time permitting. When I ride consistently, week after week, the weight does begins to dip but consistency is important. I do one "ride" a year during which the "crew" has to ride with mom -even Dad has to. We do the 25 mile ride out in Corpus Christi called "Conquer the Coast". 25 miles is about as long a ride as I'll tackle!

I'm guessing the rain from the storm is nowhere near you yet? Anyhow, keep up the cycling and use the engine on that thing only when absolutely necessary! It'll get easier each week. And remember to stay hydrated during the ride.

I am totally smitten with the E-Bikes, they still keep you pedaling but they add range and speed to your ride. Some traditionalists that have never tried one are under the impression they're for lazy people and look at them like they are a scooter. You have to pedal constantly (except when going downhill obviously) and it's boring riding around the same old neighborhood on a conventional bike and out of breath on the big hills all the time, so we stopped riding our Trek's about 6 years ago and parked them. Then I tried an E-Bike a couple months ago and I was hooked on them. BIG TIME. I get speed and distance on them, so now I can ride into town and make Panera my destination (my Sunday Morning favorite) and come back, and that's a 30 mile round trip easily do-able and about 2 hours of solid cardio. I would never try that on the Trek, the big hills here are just crushing to someone my age who is overweight. The E-bike is the great equalizer.

My wife decided she would get back into it and tried to keep up with me on her Trek - couldn't do it. So I got her an E-Bike, too. Same model as I have and now we go out as a couple on Sunday mornings as well. There's a Farmer's Market 12 miles away and we often ride there and stow the produce in the carry-on bags on the bikes. Side benefit you start to eat better as well. What's the point of doing lots of exercise if you eat bad food?

The A2B is a really solid machine and the Alva + has a long range, close to 50 miles in ideal conditions. The A2B is a good entry level bike with superb reliability, some police departments use them I'm told. Dealers sell them for $ 3K, but I was able to find new-in-the-box for $ 1,700 shipped on-line.

However, I have been bit hard by the E-Bike bug and am upgrading to a Stromer, a Swiss company that makes the top-of-the-line ones. Ordered mine today as a matter of fact, from a bike shop in Wisconsin. Decided to sell off my vintage BMW motorcycle that I wasn't riding for the new Stromer - I'm all-in. Once the Stromer gets here, my Alva+ will go up for sale!

Go try an E-bike. Any local bicycle shop that sells them will absolutely let you test ride one, take it out for 20 minutes and see what you think. Different models DO ride differently, so try a few brands.

Rain is coming from storms on Sunday, so I had to get my ride in today. Big fun.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

This is awesome, good for you! I wish more people would consider them. I ride a regular bike and here, we too are "blessed" with a lot of hills. You are being an early adopter so please report on how it does, in particular as years go by. Maintenance, costs thereof (tune-ups), etc.

There's a few e-bikes I've seen during my commute. My original reaction was always to think "cheater!" but then I told myself oh shut up, and good for them! They're pedaling, not sitting in a car adding to congestion and fumes I'm going to suck up as I ride up this same stupid hill. And they are having fun

I am so jealous of your Stromer! I hope that, like electric cars, e-bikes become more common and available and prices come down a bit so more folks will consider them.

I'm riding into work 3x a week now, weather permitting. So if you happen to come into the store and see my shirt and khaki's all wrinkled-up, its because they were wadded up in my commuter bag ("You would think he could dress a little better than that in his business") and I change at the store. I love riding the 15 miles in on the morning commute, the air is fresh and clean and I fly by all the cars and trucks sitting at the stop lights for four cycles. Commuting home is not quite the thrill as I'm in the thick of rush hour, but its manageable and more fun than driving!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	9124
    Duane Collie

Nice Duane. Have you thought about just taking a few sets of clothes on a day you drive and just leaving them at the office for the days you bike? So they are not all wrinkled.

Too much pre-planning...lol
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Try rolling your clothes vs. folding (I start with the pants folded as they come off the hanger, then lay the rest of the stuff on top, folded, and roll.
    That way they stay put even if you are moving other stuff in the bag vs. getting smooshed again.
    Also, pack them in the morning when you are getting ready to go vs the night before so they spend less time all wadded up
    The other trick is to leave shoes at work. That way you aren't hauling that weight back and forth every day and it's one less thing to squish your clothes.