Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aniline Leather Barrier Product from Leather Solutions - NEW!

Hybrid View

Default Aniline Leather Barrier Product from Leather Solutions - NEW!

Pamela at Leather Solutions tells me of this new product that has been developed for pure aniline leathers to give it a barrier against stains and UV rays. It's quite pricey at $ 70 a bottle as you can see, so I only ordered (4) bottles, one of which I have taken home to use as a test sample, first on a swatch of high-end leather and then I will apply to my new H&M chair that I brought home three weeks ago. I grew up in Missouri, the "Show Me" state, so before I jump in and tell YOU this is the greatest thing since sliced bread I want to see for myself and report back. The UV will be the harder test, because that takes years to fade on a typical pure aniline hide, so my intent is to leave my test sample out on the deck during all daylight hours to see what full exposure direct sun will do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (79).jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	9083

One of the things that I cannot easily test for is body oil stains. Some people have chemical make-ups from their skin that stain leather (especially folks on heavy medications). I am told this will barrier against that, but have no way to test for that as no one in my house has that sort of thing.

So, onto the first test. I have coated the bottom half of this sample with the new product, and the top half is naked. This is H&M Quintessence leather, which is a class 4, naked leather. I asked my wife what are the stains she would be most concerned about and with what she and I came up with is what you see here. I did not use things from the garage like motor oil, bleach or ammonia, as that's not things you would anticipate as spills on leather.

Here's the first photo, done as soon as all was applied. As you can see, the wine (which many people seem concerned about) didn't really bother the naked leather - but the two oils sure did. All stayed on the leather for about 5 minutes. After I took this photo, I simply blotted up all the excess and set the swatch off to the side. Will photo it again in 24 hours, then 48. And then a week later so stay tuned to more entries to this thread.

Name:	IMG_5195.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	9084

Note there is some edge bleed on the OIL portions of the Protected area, this is the oil coming on from the side and bleeding into the hide, its the main strip you want to focus on, not the edge bleed.
    Last edited by drcollie; 09-05-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ViviV Guest

Default Re: Aniline Leather Barrier Product from Leather Solutions - NEW!

Any updates on this test Duane? By the way, can you explain if this would be used in addition to the regular cleaning, conditioning, and protection protocol of the analine kit you sell? If so would it be the fourth "step"? By the way, I have always been confused by the fact that the pull up leather care kit doesn't include a protectant bottle. Can you explain this? My sofa's leather is Tiburon. Would I need the wax and oil bottles? Are these used as touch-ups warrant during the months between the full cleaning treatments? :S confused. I just read the sticky on taking care and cleaning protocol but I don't get why pull ups don't get a protectant bottle.

I'm thinking of ordering one these bottles along with the kit for Tiburon leather from you. But I'm honestly confused as to how I would apply it all.

My main concern is my husband who prefers to only sit at one end of the sofa and protecting it further from his long hours sitting there is something I'd like to do (if he's working from home this is where he sits with the laptop, sandwich, soda, papers, pens, etc. all day long). Body oils, sweat, food stains, etc. worry me. Not that I know if he has body oils that stain leather since we've never owned leather sofas, much less unprotected leather, but I'm just trying to be proactive....prevent vs repair.
    Last edited by ViviV; 09-18-2016 at 05:23 PM.

I had my test swatch outside on the back deck to get sunlight exposure and my wife keeps moving it inside. Now I can't find where she put it! I keep telling her "It's a test - leave it outside".....lol, she has to keep the deck squared away.
    Duane Collie

ViviV Guest

Too funny! Hope it turns up! I'm really interested in how it's doing.

Can you please provide me with some input on my questions regarding when you would apply this new product and can you please explain to me why there's no protectant bottle included in the kit for oil/ wax pull ups? How do you "protect" the pull up leathers if the protectant is not included? Is the new product for that purpose? In my situation, would you recommend treating my hubby's favorite seat on the sofa with the new protectant product as soon as the sofa arrives?

Thanks Duane!
    Last edited by ViviV; 09-20-2016 at 03:48 PM.

OK! Found the test sample in a kitchen drawer at home and here's what it looks like two weeks later. As you can see after the tape has been pulled the Vegetable oil did a number on the leather and permanently stained it. The other things put on it didn't seem to make much difference though I see a slight discoloration with the olive oil. The barrier product did prevent that oil from penetrating the hide, so it definitely works.

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg 
Views:	684 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	9113

Where I see the value in this product is for people ordering naked GR 3 / 4 / 5 leathers and they either 1) tend to bring greasy foods to their furniture 2) have oily skin that can stain leather (some people do and some don't, tends to be more so with men). If you're spending $ 6K on a sofa, a $ 70 bottle of a barrier product would seem to be a good investment.

I don't think you will need this on a pull-up hide, the wax that comes on all pull-ups will be the barrier in and of itself. I would use this in H&M hides like Capri, Quintessence, Arizona, etc. Pull up leathers have their own unique care kit (see Kit # 3 under Leather Care)
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I would use this in H&M hides like Capri, Quintessence, Arizona, etc. Pull up leathers have their own unique care kit (see Kit # 3 under Leather Care)
    Apologies if I'm failing at reading and comprehension: does this product replace the "standard" maintenance kit for naked leathers or is it applied in addition to?

I ordered the Leather Solutions kit for naked leathers. If it replaces that kit, then it would make sense to contact Duane to adjust my order. Thanks!

This is a barrier product you apply just once, when the piece is new. Then after that, you use your standard maintenance kits. It will take a longer for the Leather Softener in the kit to penetrate through the barrier product so you have to let that sit on the hide a bit when doing the 6 month maintenance, otherwise just use the kit as normal afterwards.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

Thanks for explaining!
    They should consider applying this product before shipping to the client... who would not want their naked leather protected, if it doesn't change the color/texture?

I have not seen a color texture change if you use the Matte finish (only one I have in stock), there is a high sheen version that will change the look someone if used over a matte finish. The only downside to this product (other than the cost of $ 70 a bottle) is that its a bit smelly. That odor goes away after about 12 hours, and it alarmed me at first when I tried it. I confirmed with Pam today its for naked anilines only, not for Pull-Up hides. There is a sun screen in the product and she estimates it will double the resistance to UV fading, but it would take a few years in direct sunlight to really verify that.
    Duane Collie

I think this is a GREAT product for anyone who buys a 'naked' aniline leather and my only issue with it is the cost. $ 69.99 for an 8 oz bottle is a bit steep and more product than needed for say a sofa or a couple of recliners. So I spoke with Pamela at Leather Solutions International and she agreed to make up a 4 oz size @ $ 37.99, which should be more than enough for a couple pieces, it goes on fairly thin. These new sizes just arrived today.

Recommended as a stain barrier to all fine aniline leathers that do not have waxy topcoats (i.e. pull-up leather, etc).

Name:	F0D823FF-3B6D-41E5-8648-C95EAA25A4DC.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	9177
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-26-2021 at 04:36 PM.
    Duane Collie