Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aniline Leather Barrier Product from Leather Solutions - NEW!

Default Re: Aniline Leather Barrier Product from Leather Solutions - NEW!

So you didn't use a barrier product on your pure aniline leather, and you haven't kept up on the maintenance (or didn't know you were supposed to)? You now have a head oil stain on the leather - such as this one from one of my customers who bought this from my store in 2012. Some people have chemicals in their bodies that soak through into leathers, often it can be folks on a lot of medications. Not everyone experiences this happening and there is no way to tell if you might have an issue with yours ahead of time. This customer called to request a new back casing be made, however the leather had been retired so that was not possible. I sent this photo of to Pamela at Leather Solutions International to see if she would be able to fix it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	9411

Her reply:

"Yes the bid oils can be removed as long as we can get inside the cushion. It make take a week to get it all out. We spray a degreaser on the backside which pulls the oils through as it removes it from the back. There is rarely any color work that needs to be done on the surface. We recommend cleaning and protecting every three months to remove the body oils on the surface before it has time to penetrate and absorb into the leather. Send me the casing and I will remove the oils."

Leather Solutions Int'l
    PO Box 2014
    Asheboro, NC. 27204

Obviously an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so I would encourage folks to use the preventive products so you don't have to go through all this. I have pure anilines in my own home that are close to 30 years in use, no staining, no marking....but I do take care of the hides with the Leather Solutions products, and that's the key to avoiding issues.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

pvrick Guest

So what should you use on a three year old Quintessence grade 4 Somerset sofa and chair. Leather in very good condition still with some consistent fading. Since this wasn't applied new what is the best product to use and order from you

Thanks

You would want the Aniline Kit, which is a cleaner/conditioner. $ 49.99 and $ 14.00 shipping. It will not prevent fading, only sun control of UV rays is going to prevent that via low-E windows or a solar tint applied to your windows.
    Duane Collie

kam50 Guest

"Yes the bid oils can be removed as long as we can get inside the cushion. It make take a week to get it all out. We spray a degreaser on the backside which pulls the oils through as it removes it from the back. There is rarely any color work that needs to be done on the surface. We recommend cleaning and protecting every three months to remove the body oils on the surface before it has time to penetrate and absorb into the leather. Send me the casing and I will remove the oils."

Was Pam able to clean the casing for this customer?? Do you have an after cleaning picture of the casing? BTW, I love this recently found forum!!! Lots of great info!!

I was not directly involved in the transaction, but the customer reported back to me that it was MUCH better, with only a trace of the stain remaining. She was very pleased with the result and thought the price for the work was fair.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane, Is the Aniline barrier product the same as the step 3 protectant in the kit? I need to order some product for our new H&M sofa and recliner in Wade Coffee and want to get everything I need. Thx.

Not the same, here's a photo.

The Cleaning Kit has a "Scotchguard" - like protectant included which is a light duty protectant but it won't stand up to hair oils very long.

The Barrier Product is a stand-alone purchase that you apply once when new and has much more of a "force-field". This is for use on pure naked leathers such as H&M Capri, Quintessence, Wade, etc. The velvety soft ones. Not for use on Pull ups or burnished / hand-antiqued leathers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leather Sol.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	11017
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane,
    I'm now trying to apply the aniline top coat. Could you please tell me what you use to apply it ?
    I've been using the small white cloth they sent in the cleaning kit and it's just so small and cumbersome. I used the cloth of a white tee shirt and it seems to absorb all of the product as appose to applying it...Do you use a microfiber ?
    I hope all is well with you and you're enjoying the summer !
    Thanks
    D

I use small cotton cloths myself. Microfiber doesn't hold the material well. Cut the T-shirt into quarters and that should be about right.

Go light on it, not heavy!
    Duane Collie

Tabby Guest

Hi. Regarding this new barrier product..... I have a Capri sofa and chair that are 1 yr old and never cleaned with anything but damp cloth. I keep a quilt over it with a "barrier" to keep my pet off it, and I leave the quilt on when I use it (seldom--I prefer my upholstered chair in better TV viewing position). Can I still use this product as if it were a brand new sofa (since it's not been treated with anything else), or is it too late for it? I like the idea of extra protection. Thanks!