Thread: Craigslist H&M sofa/chair/ottoman

tempdisj Guest

Default Craigslist H&M sofa/chair/ottoman

An H&M sofa, chair, and ottoman were recently posted on Craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/fuo/5783530332.html

Is there a way to ID the leather on these pieces? I asked the seller, but he didn't know. He said they are at least 10 years old.

Default Re: Craigslist H&M sofa/chair/ottoman

I've been a dealer for over 10 years, and that frame was before my time so they are older than that. It's a finished leather on them but likely it's no longer in the line. Those are well-used and need new cushion cores. The original owner can get free replacements through his selling dealer by request, and that's the only way I would buy that myself, the cushion cores are shot and would cost you far too much to replace them yourself. I would not pay anywhere near his asking price in that condition.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Just for reference the cores are like over $100 each, so on that set you are looking at around $1,000 to get them back to a good comfort level. I agree it is overpriced unless they are willing to get the cores for you.

Current costs (if H&M still has the pattern, on some old & discontinued styles they may not)

Seat: $ 160 each
    Back: $ 140 each

Plus shipping, which can be high as all those cushions travel in oversized boxes

This is a prime example of why H&M's commitment to the original owners to replace cushion cores free of charge (and no shipping costs, either) is very much something to consider when shopping.

I have customers that will buy on price only, and don't take into account this is the only company I know of that will send the original owner new interior cores at no charge. On a sofa such as in this C/L ad, to buy them yourself would run $ 900 and probably $ 100 on shipping. So there is a one thousand dollar advantage to buying a new H&M over another brand, right out of the gate. You may never need new cores, but this one show in this photo certainly does.
    Duane Collie

tempdisj Guest

Wow, thanks for the great info Duane. I think we will be better off buying new from you.

I've been watching Craigslist for a few months, and well-maintained high-end furniture doesn't seem to come up. My interpretation is that the original owners spend more for the initial purchase, but are obviously happier in the long run.

On the other hand, the inexpensive stuff is all over Craigslist...

Well, sometimes things are just used up, they don't last forever. Rare is when you see premium upholstery come up for sale that is 5 years old or less, that doesn't happen often and that's where the real bargains are. That old stuff that has blown out cores, peeling finishes, etc., really should just be given away or donated for a tax writeoff.

The Hancock and Moore "Just in Time" program is priced very aggressively - if you want high quality for the least cash outlay and can work with the leathers offered in that promo, it's where you want to be if on a budget.
    Duane Collie