Thread: Highlands 5010 sofa

crouch Guest

Default Highlands 5010 sofa

Duane,

I've been interested in the H&M Highlands 5010 sofa for a lounging type sofa in a family room (it's one of H&M's deeper sofas from an interior seating perspective - 24 inches - plus wider overall than a typical sofa at 101 inches). I want comfort and depth for television watching, frequently when lying down. The extra interior depth could come in handy if my wife wanted to lie down alongside me to watch tv (doesn't happen much anymore since we have kids but still want the option).

I finally had the chance to sit in one. It struck me as firmer than expected. It also was not quite as deep as I was hoping, in large part I think due to the firm rear cushions. If they had some more give, they would allow another 1/2 inch to inch depth when needed (squished). I asked the sales person and was told the cushions were standard.

Have you had a chance to sit in the Highlands sofa yet? I would like your thoughts as to comfort in comparison to other H&M sofas, esp. from a "cushiness" perspective. I know you've mentioned the Austin High Back as comfortable but it's not deep enough for my purposes.

Also, do you think the firmness of this sofa would lessen over time, or perhaps be attributable to the leather this particular sofa had (Weston Cane Burnished)?

I would probably get the Town & Country Buckingham leather for this sofa and wonder if you have any thoughts between the Weston and the Buckingham.

Apart from the firmness issue and to a lesser extent the depth issue, I liked the look and size of the Highlands. If I could just get it a little more comfortable/cushy, I think I'd be set.

Thanks.

I have never had a Highlands come through the store, but one of our forum members in Texas has one on order right now for delivery in August. So, I have not tried it personally.

One of the beautiful things about H&M is that with a call to Jimmy Moore, we can custom tailor those back cushions for you and it won't cost you an extra dime. Jimmy lives for doing that - making customers happy with tweaks, he really does. He likes it even more if you send him a note later on and tell him it worked!

So we can mod the fill on the Highlands to either soften up the standard cushion or you may want to consider Ultra down for the back. By "softening up", less fill is put in the casing when they make the cushions. Ultra down is probably the way I would go however, its pretty plush. You may get some shifting of the down as the years go by, but the Highland has loose cushions so they're pretty easy to fluff up and would not need it very often. There is an extra charge for Ultra down.

All cushions break-in somewhat, but I don't think they will to the level that it will give you want you want anytime in the first ten years of use. Better to mod it as its being made. As long as you're good with the back angles, the cushions can be dealt with relatively easy.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

crouch Guest

Duane,

As always, thanks for your comments.

Would down seat cushions also make sitting in the sofa cushier, and if so, what are the negatives of down seat cushions? I also would appreciate a sense of the costs of switching to down (for either the backs or the backs and seats). I am trying to stay in the T&C program - not sure if that matters.

Lastly, should I expect any noticeable difference in how the leather "feels" between Weston Cane Burnished (which the floor model I saw had) and Buckingham Burnished (which would be the T&C leather)?

My wife is finally starting to lose patience with my dithering on this purchase...

<laughing> I loved the last line on your post.......

Ultra Down cushions are strictly personal preference. They do cost more, and my feeling is that unless you have sat on them and say 'this is for me', then stick with the standard cores. They have more 'give' in them and therefore will cause hairline stress marks to appear more rapidly in the leather covers vs , the standard cushions. In the backs, the down *may* migrate somewhat from gravity over the years. Not an issue with loose pillowbacks, but if the cushions are attached they cannot be fluffed.

Burnished leather all feels about the same. Its not the softest, because the burnishing/antiquing process stiffens the hide, and they will all have gloss to them from the topcoat that locks down the color.
    Duane Collie

APTanner Guest

Default Re: Highlands 5010 sofa

I would appreciate any updates and/ or photos from anyone re: the Highlands sofa. I am in the final decision making process in ordering a Hancock & Moore sofa, chair and ottoman. The Highlands is our first choice, in Capri Harness. If anyone has ordered this, or had the opportunity to sit in one, I would greatly appreciate if you would please post any information you may have.

Highlands is a big boy, its long and deep. Make sure you have adequate space to get it into your home (36" doorway). It sits large and open.

Good month to order, the H&M sale period is on now for qualified dealers and is 5% off this month and into early March.
    Duane Collie

APTanner Guest

Duane,
    Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, the Highlands a BIG one! Funny you mentioned the doorway, as I took a quick measure last evening & our opening is right at 36"...thank goodness!
    I am new to the forum, and made another post yesterday, in response to the thread titled: Hancock and Moore # 4263 Studio Sofa in Equestrian Truffle. I realize your time is limited, but would appreciate if you would take a look. Any additional comments are much appreciated, as I'm trying to confirm my selections. I will also private message you regarding a quote...thanks for the heads up on the H&M sale period! Can't thank you enough for hosting such a wonderful forum, filled with honest opinions & datailed info....I'm hooked on this site!