Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old School Meets New

virgvv Guest

Oh, I really envy you that desk. That is beautiful.

And you will never go back to Windows. Trust me on that. :-)

organic_smallhome Guest

I agree: stunning desk.

And you will be so pleased with the Mac, Duane. No more fear of viruses!

dr56 Guest

Default Apple envy!

Wishing we could convince my dear husband to go the Apple route but he is adamantly against it. It just does not have a place in his business world nor does he think Apple ever will .......sigh! My daughter would love to stop messing up our pcs with her ipod downloads due to their upgrades.....anyway, someday he may see the Apple way. Enjoy it! Love the desk, especially, Duane.

I have both the new iMac (home) and a Vista 64 platform (work). I have to say, the Mac is FAR-FAR-FAR easier to just plug it in and go. The V64 Winbox took me weeks to configure, and once its set up it rocks n' rolls. But I live in great fear of installing anything new on the V64 machine. It does not play well with any 32-bit apps or older hardware.

The Mac's are pretty sweet, but not flawless. For home use, I'd definitely recommend a Mac!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have both the new iMac (home) and a Vista 64 platform (work). I have to say, the Mac is FAR-FAR-FAR easier to just plug it in and go. The V64 Winbox took me weeks to configure, and once its set up it rocks n' rolls. But I live in great fear of installing anything new on the V64 machine. It does not play well with any 32-bit apps or older hardware.

The Mac's are pretty sweet, but not flawless. For home use, I'd definitely recommend a Mac!
    Vista can work very nice but I rather run XP. You may still have problems with XP but I find it much easier to work on if problems occur.

Default Re: Old School Meets New

I thought Vista was horrible, so my last computer was "downgraded" to XP. I was amazed by how Vista could bog down a powerful computer, even with tweaking / turning off memory and CPU-intensive features. I'm typing this on my Windows 7 notebook, and I have to say that the product is enormously improved.

I used Macs for many years until things got really bad, during the period of Steve Jobs' absence from the company, and I used a PC desktop for quite a few years. My last two desktops have been iMacs. Nice machines and, frankly, not overpriced as compared to similarly powered and equipped PC's. I usually buy my notebooks refurbished from Dell, as it's possible to get a good deal on a "like new" unit; I do see a price premium on Mac portables, but it's smaller than it used to be - and for all of the effort to hype the low entry point for some Wintel machines, my experience with low-end portables is that they're cheaply made, perform badly, and suffer inexcusable failures of such basic components as keyboards, touchpads, monitors (far too expensive to justify repair) and hardware.

As Wintel machines have become more and more like Macs, it's easier than ever to transition back and forth.