Thread: Leather recliner that complements roll arm sofa

juddgirl2 Guest

Default Leather recliner that complements roll arm sofa

I'm considering purchasing an English roll-arm sofa (similar to Restoration Hardware but custom made locally) and would like to find a leather recliner that complements this style. The chair would be used by my husband, who is 6'1 (and long-legged) and 200 lb. Comfort is important to him, but style is important to me - I'd like a recliner that doesn't "look" like a recliner.

The Restoration Hardware Buster chair is nice, but it's a bit pricey and I'm not sure about the quality. I like the Lee Industries recliner, and the lines are very similar to the sofa, but it seems a bit narrow. I've read a lot about Hancock and Moore recliners and their quality, but there are so many on the website that I'm having trouble finding the right style. I haven't sat in either the Lee or H&M yet.

Any suggestions? Also, what price should I expect to pay (I would be purchasing 2)?

Thank you!

I'll be glad to make some recommendations as to recliners, but first have to see a photo of the sofa you'll be looking to match into. You can easily post photos right to the forum as 'attachments'.

H&M recliners run from $ 1,100 to $ 3,000 depending on model and cover.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

juddgirl2 Guest

Thank you. I'll try to attach photos of the sofa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eng roll arm studio 4.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eng roll arm studio 3.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	355  

Perfect!

Here's my top recommendation for that sofa, its a # 2047 Bradley chair with Ottoman. This is a tilt-back piece that runs on a pressurized gas strut, and most everyone finds the combo more comfortable than a recliner. This model will easily accommodate your husband with room to spare. Downsides are you have to buy the ottoman to make it work, and thats extra cost and extra room needed. If you are near my store in Alexandria, VA I have this on the floor to try out. Prices for the two pieces start at $ 1,669 for the chair and $ 645 for the ottoman in Grade 1 leather (plus shipping) and increase by leather grade accordingly.

There's not a recliner per se that matches exactly, but I think any of these might work and will fit your husband well:

# 1045 Buxton (leg change on the front is possible)

# 7066 Grafton

# 7070 Conrad (has some design flair with the wood arms)

# 7085 Regan
    Duane Collie

juddgirl2 Guest

Thank you, Duane. Of those, I do like the Regan and Grafton. I'll see if I can find somewhere local to view these in person.

I actually prefer the lines of the Buxton more but not so much the design on the leather, since it looks more contemporary than most of my furnishings.

Do you have any thoughts on the Rugby, as far as comfort level?

Unfortunately, we have a comfortable leather club chair and ottoman now and no one ever sits in it. My husband prefers a recliner, and the ottoman takes up too much space to work with a coffee table in the space we plan on using the chairs, so we're replacing it with the recliners.

juddgirl2 Guest

Also, in viewing the H&M site, I'm confused as to why one chair is called a "lounger" as opposed to a "recliner." Is there any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by juddgirl2 View Post
    Also, in viewing the H&M site, I'm confused as to why one chair is called a "lounger" as opposed to a "recliner." Is there any difference?
    A long time ago there was, but no longer. They are one in the same.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by juddgirl2 View Post
    Thank you, Duane. Of those, I do like the Regan and Grafton. I'll see if I can find somewhere local to view these in person.

I actually prefer the lines of the Buxton more but not so much the design on the leather, since it looks more contemporary than most of my furnishings.

Do you have any thoughts on the Rugby, as far as comfort level?

Unfortunately, we have a comfortable leather club chair and ottoman now and no one ever sits in it. My husband prefers a recliner, and the ottoman takes up too much space to work with a coffee table in the space we plan on using the chairs, so we're replacing it with the recliners.
    The Rugby is HUGE, one of the largest ones they make, but I've not tried one out.

That grid pattern on the Buxton can easily be eliminated in favor of a plain cushion.
    Duane Collie

juddgirl2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    A long time ago there was, but no longer. They are one in the same.
    That's good to know - it expands my options quite a bit. If the grid pattern is optional, the Buxton is definitely a contender if it's as comfortable as it is stylish.

Thank you!