Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock and Moore Weston Mocha, Austin High Back Chair

casey Guest

Default Hancock and Moore Weston Mocha, Austin High Back Chair

I just received the Austin HB Chair, Weston Mocha, Friday and it really is a beautiful piece. We went with the standard cushions and it is very firm. A few questions: should the chair have a leather smell? There is none - not a problem, just curious. Also, the seat cushion (leather) is very loose - not taut/tight at all. Is this normal? Should there be some give in the seat? I just thought it would arrive tight and smooth. The head rest and bustle are very loose, too, and have many creases/crack lines. Is this normal? I have not called the furniture company yet - wanted your input first.

ALso, the ottoman is very tight - no creases or cracking in the finish. It looks the way I expected the seat cushion to look.

This is my first leather piece and I spent the extra $$$ for the H and M quality. I also opted to stay away from the Town and Country and went with the analine leather. Do you know which country the Weston Mocha leather is from? One store rep told me Italy, another said Germany!

Thanks, Duane!

Which model Austin did you get?(specific chair number, please)? If you bought a # 2038NB I've been seeing there arriving 'loose' in the seats and backs, and have been retrofitting them with 'extra-full' cushions which seems to fix the issues. This requires a call to your selling dealer and a request for a replacement cores, which take about three weeks.

I have brought this to the attention of H&M and will follow up with an advisory to them again on Monday, that they need to address this issue or at least double check their specs. Suggest you photo your chair and email a photo to your selling dealer, and they can forward to H&M as well. Work through your selling dealer, not H&M directly. They can get these 'extra full' core inserts to you at no charge.

Weston is from Germany, has a partially glazed surface, and does not have a particularly strong leather aroma to it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

casey Guest

Thanks, Duane, for your prompt response! The chair is model 2038NB and the ottoman is 8131NB. Interesting that this seems to be a pattern. The back seems to be full enough when sitting in the chair, though I can tell over time the back cushion will break down since the pillow inside doesn't appear to have much stuffing inside. It is not extremely firm. I appreciate your bringing this to H and M's attention. I will call the furniture store tomorrow and explain my concern. What are your thoughts on the creasing/cracking of the leather? I would expect that look years later after some wear and usage, but not with a new piece. Your thoughts?

Weston is a leather that tends to do that, show creases (should not be cracks, that's defined as a fissure in the leather and compromises the hide). Its the nature of that particular hide to do that, and part of 'the look' they design in at the tannery. Other hides such as Caress, Document, Berkshire , etc. do not do that. So it would not be a defect in the leather, rather its something your selling dealer should have made you aware of if that would have been an objection.

Have your dealer order you a full set of 'extra full' cushions for that chair, the seat and two back bolsters. The zip in and zip out (its a bit of a chore to replace that seat cushion core, however. I'd suggest you let the store personnel do that unless you want an upper arm workout). They can do this for you at no charge, and it takes about 3 weeks for the new cores to arrive once ordered. Good luck, and let me know what you think of it when the new inserts are installed.
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

My Crenshaw chairs in Weston leather are pulled so tightly that there is no way that the leather can crease. I'm surprised that on the H-M site it says that Weston is a thinner leather but my chairs have leather that feels extra thick and sturdy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	356  

casey Guest

Duane...finally heard from the company and will send a picture for them to review and make a determination. May I send you the picture and you can give me your expert opinion? After looking at your 22 year old, first leather chair purchase, the cushion on my Austin looks nothing like that. There are no wrinkles in your cushion and it does not appear stretched out. Mine looks as though it has been stretched over the years and it is a brand new piece. I would be most appreciative of any comments or suggestions you might have. Thanks.

Laxplaya7974 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artielange View Post
    My Crenshaw chairs in Weston leather are pulled so tightly that there is no way that the leather can crease. I'm surprised that on the H-M site it says that Weston is a thinner leather but my chairs have leather that feels extra thick and sturdy.
    Am I missing a section on the H and M website where it discusses the leather? I havent seen any place that it says Weston is a thinner leather? I would like to see descriptions of them if possible. Mainly interested in Aspen.

artielange Guest

It's in the description that is in the Hancock and Moore brochure that lists all of the leathers. Each leather is followed by a paragraph and in some cases a country of origin, then the ratings on protected vs unprotected, amount of shading on hides, etc. I got the brochure when I first contacted H-M. It was mailed to me.

That's really odd, because Weston is not cut thin at all, its every bit as thick as most the other leathers in the line.

You can attach photos right to you post in the thead, just scroll down from the text box and click on GO ADVANCED, the look for the attachments button, its very easy to do.

If you selling dealer balks at doing this for you, I'll be glad to get the replacement cores for you at no charge.
    Duane Collie

artielange Guest

Ah, I see where I'm getting 'thinner' but in actuality the wording is 'lighter weight' which I must have interpreted to 'thinner.'

From the aforementioned brochure:

Weston Class 2

Extremely supple, this full top grain leather is a lighter weight than average. Tanned for a bright pull-up effect which is enhanced with a glossy sheen. Weston is a soft, luxurious leather with no protective finish.

Sorry to confuse you!