Thread: Advice on sofa for tall guy

Threaded View

Raider Guest

Default Advice on sofa for tall guy

Hi all,

I’m in the market for a sofa, reading chair, and ottoman and was hoping to get some ideas of what models to short-list so that I can make my in-person testing that much more efficient.

I’m buying my first place (1 bedroom loft-like apartment) and wanted a comfortable set for the living room, which flows into an open-plan kitchen. Comfort is key, as I’ll be doing a lot of academic-related reading for long stretches at a time (a book a day on average). At the same time, style is very important for me. I want something that is attractive to look at since I'll be spending most of my non-sleeping hours in the living room. Originally, I was thinking of minimalist, contemporary designs, but the more I look at the H&M site, the more I feel drawn to some of the designs that show off their workmanship and artistry. In terms of color, I like the idea of something bold – I really like some of the red sofas I’ve been seeing on-line.

I’m a big guy – 6’1”, 250lbs – and after years of living with cheap, uncomfortable stuff, really want something that suits ME. I’m keen to get something with good upper body support. As I write these lines, my shoulders and neck are killing me after spending the last month in a "furnished" rental in Russia with a bed that's about 5 years too old!

Browsing the H&M website and these forums, I’ve highlighted the sofa models below as potentially interesting (no particular order). Are these good models to focus on? Which ones should I knock off? Are there any suggestions of models I should add to my shortlist?

What are the pros/cons of each model?

Chancellor
    Chancellor Tufted (will I get good upper body support?)
    Sundance
    McNary
    Tower
    Tavern
    Ellie
    Bradington Young Muskegon 594-95

I’ve heard good things about the Austin, but I’d really like something with better looks.

Finally, I realize that nothing beats an in-person test. Unfortunately, I’m currently doing research in Russia and won’t be able to look at things in person until quite close to my move in date. As such, I was hoping to get as much of the research/planning done ahead of time and then look to test out a few models once I have a short-list of things to look at in Boston before most likely ordering through Duane.

Any comments/ideas/advice on what models I should take a closer look at would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Raider; 07-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.