Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new HM and BY stuff has arrived!

buddyboy Guest

Default Re: My new HM and BY stuff has arrived!

Hey Dwayne. New to the forum, but trying to do due diligence in selecting a leather sofa. Almost ready to pull the trigger on a HM Sundance offered in the "Just in Time" program. The Portfolio Tobacco leather looks very nice and would blend well with our existing den furniture. I'm still somewhat confused as to the real advantages of protected leather vs non protected. Jumping outside the program commands quite a substantial premium. I'm curious as to your thoughts on whether it's worth it.

If you haven't already, read this thread:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

Myself, I prefer pure anilines - always. And yes, I myself am willing to pay the extra price for them for use in my home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

buddyboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you haven't already, read this thread:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...-FORUM-lt-READ

Myself, I prefer pure anilines - always. And yes, I myself am willing to pay the extra price for them for use in my home.
    Thanks for your reply and sorry for misspelling your first name. I'm really enjoying your expertise regarding H&M leather. Nobody around Beaufort, SC has a Sundance sofa so ordering one sight unseen in a leather that one can't see either is scary to say the least. Just in Time options are limited and H&M has some amazing looking leathers available. Just out of curiosity, for a Sundance sofa, what would you guess is the premium to move up to a grade 3 unprotected leather? It's a shame that the options in the Just in Time program are so limited because every picture that I look at of the Sundance looks better in other leathers than the ones offered in the program. Maybe I can't have my cake and eat it too! You are much more knowledgeable than my local dealer regarding these sofas and leathers. Thank you. Skip

I've got a 4716 Sundance on the floor in JIT Portfolio red. It' a top seller and a lot of dealer's don't put one in their showroom for some reason, I don't know why they don't? The biggest drawback to a Sundance is the depth, they are 50" deep, and that does make a difference. They don't look good pushed up against a wall due to the curved nature of the design and the fact you're paying for all that button tufting in the back and now going to hide it. The Sundance is designed to float out in the middle of a room. They also (up until mid-2015) required a 36" door opening to get the house and many homes didn't have that. H&M went with a removable front leg on the piece in 2015 and now they can go through smaller doorways but I have not found out what the minimum measurement is since the modification, probably around 34.5" but don't hold me to that. Comfort wise that's a relatively safe bet to buy sight unseen. I get positive feedback on that unit from almost everyone.

As to using better leathers - it all depends on if you appreciate a finer hide and are willing to pay for it. The difference in a GR 3 hide and JIT leather on that unit (before the sale period discounts) is $ 2,250 from my store. The rest of the sofa is identical, there is no difference in build or components. We all have limits to what we are willing to spend on a consumer product, and you just have to ask yourself if that's worth it to you. An H&M sofa can last a very long time, I would expect it to be in use 25 to 30 years given reasonable care. So if you amortize that out, $ 2,250 / 25 = $ 90 a year of the useful lifespan to get a leather that you want, rather than one that will make do. That's your call.

I have had dozens of customers come back to me in a few years and say to me "We love our sofa, we wish we'd have got the leather we really wanted instead of the promotional hide", but I have never had the first customer come in and tell me they regretted buying a premium leather and wish they had saved the money and gone the inexpensive route.

Here's a little anecdote along these lines as well. The customer (who is local) that owns this very sofa came in the store this week and asked me what it would be worth if they were to sell it as their neighbor wants it, the same one you see in this photo:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...apri+butternut

As you can see from the date of the post, its about 9 years old now. And like new, they rarely used it. In that leather - which is a world class GR 4 hide - that sofa currently would sell locally for a little under $ 5,300 if they were to order it today. I told them I would ask $ 2,500 for it and take no less than $ 2,200. It's a current frame and a current leather. They were stunned, because they only paid $ 3,100 for it in 2008, and didn't think it a new one would cost so much in 2017 money. I said, "That sofa will sell easily to someone who knows what it is" and told them to advertise it here on the forum, where the Capri Butternut would be instantly recognized. The only reason they wanted to sell it was so he could stretch out and take a nap on it (that Chesterfield is a little tight for that). They decided to keep it and order a Rugby Club Sofa (in GR 3) and are going to just re-arrange the room. Now, if that had been in a program leather, I would have told them to look for around $ 800 to $ 1,000 on the price.
    Duane Collie

Room looks sharp!!!

BTW, on the H&M Sundance sofa, it requires a 36" Doorway to get through. In mid-2015 H&M began making the legs removable (use a long shank # 2 square drive bit - not a Phillips screw bit) on both front and rear and that should make it good for around a 34" opening. We have not measured exactly with the legs off, but are delivering one this week into a less-than-36" doorway and will be removing the legs to accomplish that.
    Duane Collie