Thread: Custom Work - I reserve the right to decline

Default Custom Work - I reserve the right to decline

Today I declined to obtain a custom quote on a Hancock & Moore sofa due to the fact that my 30 years experience in this business tells me that if built, this piece would be out-of-scale and most likely not look right. From time to time, I will decline to take an order or go through the steps obtaining a custom piece because I think the customer is headed down the wrong path with their modifications. I will tell them why I declined and suggest they seek another dealer for their order if they would like to pursue it. I know this confuses people when I do this (the customer is always right, etc) - but I do so based on past history of making these sorts of things. Just because someone wants something made to a certain spec and the maker it willing to do it doesn't mean it will be a good idea. Years past I have always agreed to make these mods when I know they won't turn out well after the customer insists - and I have had them sign a contract which states clearly its made to order, non-returnable under any circumstance, yada-yada-yada. Then, the piece is made and it looks exactly like I knew it would.... AWFUL. The the customer calls me and the phone call goes something like this:

customer: "The custom piece was delivered today and its not right. There is something wrong with it, I don't think it was made correctly."

me: "Yes, I know, its not a good design with the modifications you made and what you are seeing is a result of that and we discussed that at length prior to order. It was made to your specifications."

customer: "Well, I'm not happy with it, even though I realize I signed a contract - there must be something you can do"

me: "Sorry, if you recall I discouraged you from ordering this built as you wanted it. There is no recourse and that is why there was a legal contract on it."

customer: "Surely you can take it into your store and sell it, and give me a store credit to buy something else."

me: "I cannot dedicate the floor space to something that will never sell, can't do it. You can try to sell it yourself if you like, that's up to you".

customer: "So now I'm stuck with an $ 8,000 piece that isn't right?"

me: "What's not right about it?"

customer: "Its defective - its not built correctly and doesn't sit right."

me: "I think the issue is you designed a piece and you are not a furniture designer - there are consequences when you alter the maker's design so radically".

customer: "Well, you took the order, you should have declined it. You are the professional, not me. Therefore you are liable along with the maker - you should have stopped me"

Me: "I tried, you insisted on the custom build."

customer: "I'm not happy and will tell my credit card company you misrepresented the product, and tell everyone I know how badly you treat your customers...we are not done with this."

me: "Sorry, but we are".

How many times have I had the above conversation? Perhaps a dozen over three decades. But I'm older and wiser now - and simply stop it before it can ever get started. I have YOUR best interests in mind as the customer when I decline to take a custom order. When I know the piece isn't going to work, I'm just going to take a pass on it as it means a lot less headache for all involved. Be careful with your customs, you're not a furniture designer. Hope that helps explain it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ci2Eye Guest

Default Re: Custom Work - I reserve the right to decline

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Today I declined to obtain a custom quote on a Hancock & Moore sofa due to the fact that my 30 years experience in this business tells me that if built, this piece would be out-of-scale and most likely not look right. From time to time, I will decline to take an order or go through the steps obtaining a custom piece because I think the customer is headed down the wrong path with their modifications. I will tell them why I declined and suggest they seek another dealer for their order if they would like to pursue it. I know this confuses people when I do this (the customer is always right, etc) - but I do so based on past history of making these sorts of things. Just because someone wants something made to a certain spec and the maker it willing to do it doesn't mean it will be a good idea. Years past I have always agreed to make these mods when I know they won't turn out well after the customer insists - and I have had them sign a contract which states clearly its made to order, non-returnable under any circumstance, yada-yada-yada. Then, the piece is made and it looks exactly like I knew it would.... AWFUL. The the customer calls me and the phone call goes something like this:

customer: "The custom piece was delivered today and its not right. There is something wrong with it, I don't think it was made correctly."

me: "Yes, I know, its not a good design with the modifications you made and what you are seeing is a result of that and we discussed that at length prior to order. It was made to your specifications."

customer: "Well, I'm not happy with it, even though I realize I signed a contract - there must be something you can do"

me: "Sorry, if you recall I discouraged you from ordering this built as you wanted it. There is no recourse and that is why there was a legal contract on it."

customer: "Surely you can take it into your store and sell it, and give me a store credit to buy something else."

me: "I cannot dedicate the floor space to something that will never sell, can't do it. You can try to sell it yourself if you like, that's up to you".

customer: "So now I'm stuck with an $ 8,000 piece that isn't right?"

me: "What's not right about it?"

customer: "Its defective - its not built correctly and doesn't sit right."

me: "I think the issue is you designed a piece and you are not a furniture designer - there are consequences when you alter the maker's design so radically".

customer: "Well, you took the order, you should have declined it. You are the professional, not me. Therefore you are liable along with the maker - you should have stopped me"

Me: "I tried, you insisted on the custom build."

customer: "I'm not happy and will tell my credit card company you misrepresented the product, and tell everyone I know how badly you treat your customers...we are not done with this."

me: "Sorry, but we are".

How many times have I had the above conversation? Perhaps a dozen over three decades. But I'm older and wiser now - and simply stop it before it can ever get started. I have YOUR best interests in mind as the customer when I decline to take a custom order. When I know the piece isn't going to work, I'm just going to take a pass on it as it means a lot less headache for all involved. Be careful with your customs, you're not a furniture designer. Hope that helps explain it.
    What sorts of things do you discourage or what would be a bad modification? I remember when ordering my Author chair and ottoman, we discussed whether changing to a taller bun foot might adversely affect the proportions but although I worried that I might've made a mistake, I was pleased with the end result. I'm guessing it is more radical modifications than that though.

One of the cardinal rules of success, "Don't take bad business!"

Things like a leg swap are minor mods and as long as leg heights are reasonably maintained, not an issue. When alterations get so extensive that they modify proportions and scale, or incorporate bad design elements, that's when I put on the brakes. Its not so much something that fits into a formula, its just I can envision some of these pieces as an end result (in my head) and know they won't turn out right. And the customer can simply go to another dealer to order it, its not that they can't get the piece - its just that I don't want to get the aftershock when they see what they created. Most people in the trade that know and care about their product can see when a piece isn't coming together correctly and will say so. The smart customer will listen and abandon the project. The stubborn ones will forge ahead.
    Duane Collie

Ci2Eye Guest

The ability to visualize things that don't exist is a skill not all possess and one that is essential when making substantial changes to any design.
    Last edited by Ci2Eye; 12-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Rich O Guest

What is your opinion on taking 2" out of the seating depth of the H&M 4716 Sundance sofa.
    Last edited by Rich O; 01-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich O View Post
    What is your opinion on taking 2" out of the seating depth of the H&M 4716 Sundance sofa.
    That would be fine. Sundance Sofas are 50" deep overall, to cut down to a 48" won't visually impact it very much. Realize that you will lose 2" in seat depth throughout the piece, however.
    Duane Collie