Thread: New synthetic area rug is sticky. Is this normal?- HELP PLEASE!

Trisket Guest

Exclamation New synthetic area rug is sticky. Is this normal?- HELP PLEASE!

So I recently brought a new area rug and its nice and all but for some reason, when I glide my hand through it a few times, I can feel a a slightly sticky residue on my fingers. The stickiness goes away after a few minutes, which is probably because whatever it is has dried. The rug pile is polyester microfiber while the backing is polypropylene mesh. My question is:is this normal? Whats causing this stickiness? Should I return it?

Also, is this rug dangerous to my cat? I'm scared that the residue is poisoness and if my cat grooms herself after walking on it it could be fatal. I havent let her near it yet.

To anyone who knows, please help. I'm pissed and stressed because im trying to research it and I can't find answers. Thank you.

Default Re: New synthetic area rug is sticky. Is this normal?- HELP PLEASE!

Who can say? If you are not comfortable with your purchase, return it to the merchant and explain why.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

That sounds weird. I've bought a lot of rugs and haven't ever had that problem.

The reason polyester fibers are used to manufacture low cost rugs is they are a low cost raw material and the fibers resist abrasions, don’t adsorb water, and tend to spring back to their original shape. However, one of the major disadvantages of polyester fibers is they attract oils and greases unless the fibers have undergone some type of surface treatment. This characteristic makes polyester rugs hard to clean and to keep clean.

As for the oily material on your rug, it could be a residual from the manufacturing/spinning/weaving process or an oily liquid could have been spilled on it during transport, or the oily substance was transferred to the rug by shoes or it is oil for an animal's coat. Without an expensive battery of tests, you will not get an accurate answer.

I think Duane’s advice was good…return it. Especially if the oily material is causing you stress.

The reason polyester fibers are used to manufacture inexpensive rugs is polyester is a low cost raw material and the fibers resist abrasions, don’t adsorb water, and tend to spring back to their original shape. However, one of the major disadvantages of polyester fibers is they attract oils and greases unless the fibers have undergone some type of surface treatment. This characteristic makes polyester rugs hard to clean and to keep clean.

As for the oily material on your rug, it could be a residual from the manufacturing/spinning/weaving process or an oily liquid could have been spilled on it during transport, or the oily substance was transferred to the rug by shoes or it is oil for an animal's coat. Without an expensive battery of tests, you will not get an accurate answer.

I think Duane’s advice was good…return it. Especially if the oily material is causing you stress.