Thread: Hancock & Moore Reupholstery

Laura Guest

Default Hancock & Moore Reupholstery

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2391.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	9254

I am having a terrible time trying to find the right color/grade leather to reupholster my H&M sofa. Original color no longer exists; no alternative green I like; I like French Blue, but maybe too bright in the room. Capri Burgundy might go well with the mahogany furniture and the floor, but maybe too dark. Any help appreciated.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Reupholstery

It's not going to be cost effective to use a Hancock and Moore leather, you will easily exceed the price of a replacement sofa, sorry. You would need about 300 s.f. to do that sofa, Capri is $ 21 a S.F., so around $ 6,300 in the hides to buy from H&M, then a quality upholsterer will charge around $ 1,300. You would be approaching $ 7,500 to do the job Even if I miscalculated the s/f, you would still be at $ 7K or so.

If you want to go that route, get your leather off EBAY. Work with your upholsterer to compute needed square footage, remember to buy an extra 20% salvage and go from there!

Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Laura Guest

Thank you for your help. Not what I wanted to find out but better to know. Your help and knowledge greatly appreciated.

A good upholstery place should be able to work with you on recovering that piece. The good ones should have various fabrics/leathers to choose from and be able to give you an estimate, some even come to your home with samples and to take measurements.

Laura Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    A good upholstery place should be able to work with you on recovering that piece. The good ones should have various fabrics/leathers to choose from and be able to give you an estimate, some even come to your home with samples and to take measurements.
    Thank you so much for your help. I will begin looking and asking. Fabrics/leather is such a science--so much to learn! I used to think it was so simple.

Generally speaking to reupholster an older piece is not economically viable, you do it because it's a heirloom piece, important design or has sentimental value. The cost of the cover, labor and spring re-tie, along with cushion cores will usually approach or exceed the cost of a new unit. Re-upholstery is more than just a new cover - you have to look at all the components and how old they are, then cost out the project in comparison to a new sofa. Also keep in mind that you can donate an old sofa and get a tax writeoff on the donation! Get all the costs figured out before you decide.
    Duane Collie

Laura Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Generally speaking to reupholster an older piece is not economically viable, you do it because it's a heirloom piece, important design or has sentimental value. The cost of the cover, labor and spring re-tie, along with cushion cores will usually approach or exceed the cost of a new unit. Re-upholstery is more than just a new cover - you have to look at all the components and how old they are, then cost out the project in comparison to a new sofa. Also keep in mind that you can donate an old sofa and get a tax writeoff on the donation! Get all the costs figured out before you decide.
    My Baker sofa https://www.bakerfurniture.com/livin...-sofa-6386-80/ is no longer available in leather. So I cannot purchase a new in leather. I had it covered in Hancock & Moore "Nabuk Agean" leather, which is not longer made by Hancock & Moore. So not only can I no longer buy the new the sofa in a Baker leather; but also, even if I wanted to have the sofa covered (or even "patched") in the original leather, I cannot. I have not asked if Baker would even consider making the sofa in a different H&M leather. I have thought of buying the sofa in fabric, but for various reasons, would rather not. I have looked at other sofas, but none that I have seen have the graceful lines and distinct legs of this "deco" sofa. I appreciate your advice on the cost of reupholstering vs buying new. If only I could buy it new in leather. Buy your point about buying new is very much appreciated.

A Baker piece is probably worth the cost to reupholster, its a top brand that is well-made. You just know going into the project its going to be a pricey proposition to do it right. Most people recover as an economic move, but in your case its a special piece that is near and dear to you, the frame and structure itself will take many reupholster jobs so you're good to go there. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

Laura Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    A Baker piece is probably worth the cost to reupholster, its a top brand that is well-made. You just know going into the project its going to be a pricey proposition to do it right. Most people recover as an economic move, but in your case its a special piece that is near and dear to you, the frame and structure itself will take many reupholster jobs so you're good to go there. Good luck!
    Thank you again. You have sent me looking and thinking in various directions which if far better than I had been before, which was going around with my eyes closed and my mind blank. Your help has been of tremendous importance and I hope you have some inkling of my appreciation.