Thread: having shoulder surgery- need recliner

katoom400 Guest

Default having shoulder surgery- need recliner

Preparing for shoulder surgery on my right side. It's recommended that I get a recliner to sleep in because I won't be able to lay flat in a bed for some time. My research shows that almost all recliners have the controls on the right side. I'll need to have something I can operate with my left arm for my situation.

I know you can order a lazyboy with the controls on the left, but that takes 3-6 weeks, and I don't have that much time before surgery.

I also don't want to spend a ton of money since this is only a temporary situation.

I've decided that I should go with electric version since it seems it will be easier to swap or run a new switch/button to the other side. my budget is around $700 including tax and delivery...which I know is not a lot for a recliner, but this is a temporary situation. and I'll have a lot of medical bills coming in.

so in my search for inexpensive electric recliners I found these two options:

https://www.mybobs.com/living-room-f...power-recliner

This one was pretty comfy and has some nice features such as a wired remote control featuring usb charging for phone/ipad, and it is a lay flat also with power incline on the headrest. It also has adjustable lumbar...don't know if that needed?

It matches my current living room set fairly well, and I wouldn't have to "hack" the button to make it usable on the left side. the unknown for me is the quality of Bob's stuff....(I know...I don't really expect quality from a $600 recliner)

The other option which I though was very comfy even without the power headrest was this one, but I will have to figure something out for the button

https://www.raymourflanigan.com/skye...280320070.aspx

I don't know if I could easilty pop the button out of the right side, and somehow just lay it over on the right side so I can put it back in the hole after I'm healed up? or possibly leave it and just buy another button for it....if they all use the same 5 pin plug?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-REC...MAAOSwuTxV~CLG

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: having shoulder surgery- need recliner

At that price point, go with whatever you think feels the best and you can get in your needed time frame - I would not worry too much about a left side button. In today's medical world, they don't want you isolating or favoring a surgical area, they want you to use and strengthen that joint. Unless using a particular switch put you in some kind of twisting movement they don't want you to make (Talk to your surgeon about this now, before surgery). I had a liver and intestinal resection due to cancer and they had me up and out of bed walking in 48 hours. My 90-year-old mother just recently had a hip replacement and they had her up and walking on it in less than 18 hours post-op. I cannot imagine you will have a button-pushing restriction.

Good luck on the procedure!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

katoom400 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    At that price point, go with whatever you think feels the best and you can get in your needed time frame - I would not worry too much about a left side button. In today's medical world, they don't want you isolating or favoring a surgical area, they want you to use and strengthen that joint. Unless using a particular switch put you in some kind of twisting movement they don't want you to make (Talk to your surgeon about this now, before surgery). I had a liver and intestinal resection due to cancer and they had me up and out of bed walking in 48 hours. My 90-year-old mother just recently had a hip replacement and they had her up and walking on it in less than 18 hours post-op. I cannot imagine you will have a button-pushing restriction.

Good luck on the procedure!
    Thanks for the quick reply!

For my procedure (massive rotator cuff tear) my right arm is going to be in a sling strapped tightly to my right side for 6 weeks. I'll be able to move my forearm up and down after a few days, but I can't take that elbow away from my side under my own strength for 6 weeks. So I'm going to have to have one with a wired remote, or one I can plug an aftermarket button/remote into and abandon the right side button for the time being.

You might need a left switch!
    Duane Collie

katoom400 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You might need a left switch!
    for sure, I guess the question is, can you simply unplug the right side switch and purchase an aftermarket switch and just keep it on the left side? do they all use the same kind of plug? it seems like they all use a 5 pin plug, but I don't know if they are all the same or I'll have to start splicing wires?

I can't say for each maker, but in the brands I carry the switch itself is usually easy to remove from the chair itself and then you can rig something up to extend it temporarily. Of you can go with a corded remote unit that solves the problem and can be used on either side.
    Duane Collie

katoom400 Guest

Thanks, I'm going to have a look again tonight. I didn't see any screws on the right side mounted switch on the Raymour recliner, so I though maybe it was screwed in from the rear, or perhaps there is just a face-plate covering the screws?

Sorry, I am not familiar with how that maker does their attachment points.
    Duane Collie