Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Slick" burnished leather

davidalexander Guest

Default "Slick" burnished leather

Hi,
    I am curious whether the slick/slippery characteristic of my new burnished leather H&M Sundance sofa will diminish over time.
    I find myself slipping around a bit while sitting.

Thanks!

Default Re: "Slick" burnished leather

It will over time, but its pretty gradual. I'd not expect a noticeable change until quite a few years pass by. Most burnished leathers do have some slickness to them.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABC49187-1517-427A-8E55-259EEE7DF103.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	10569This may be a stupid question, but are there some “pickup” leathers that are not Burnished? I am having a harder time with leather selection than I thought I would. I think I’m down to mostly Burnished choices; I’m rethinking them for a couple reasons: I have Hyde Park Cognac as a high contender, also Hyde Park earth and tan. I have a Buckingham Walnut Burnished in the group that I carry around, scratch, wet, scratch...and a Capri Harness as a back of the head dream as I watch my dainty lab hop up and down off the sofa. She does go to one corner and is 11, so, realistically, she won’t be around too much longer.

I’m pretty honed in on the Wrangler. Unless I can swing a modified Sundance (deeper, would probably have to be wider angle) and I certainly have the space...

I just got another picture of your recent .wrangler sale, I wanted a picture with a person in it. Since our couch would have people lying down on it a lot, I think it’s the one for us, though not the aesthetic winner.

My conundrum with those leather choices, is that I have Ash hardwood floors a river rock big wall around my fireplace, pine walls...I picked those colors of leather because the color is “in” all of them.

Now, I am wondering if it would just make the room all varied Earth Brown, orangey beige tones...and not got with ANY of the rugs I have, or have in mind for that room. I have lots of carpets, so I’m no going to by another one and the ones I love are wild colors and have a lot of red (and every other color.)

Because the couch is so deep, I know I will have pillows all along the back for people that want to sit (it IS 29 inches deep). So, again the sofa will be a canvas for pillows.

I am thinking it would be too expensive to have Hancock and Moore make all thos “lumbar” pillows. I have access to a fair amount of leather (black, dark gray, red,) and I would use silk fabric I love on the other side. That’s my thought right now.

I had the thought that a less “orange” sofa would be interesting. Not black. I saw a cameo...(I have to find it again) I guess I’d need a sample. It’s under “the blacks”. You have it on the Forum compared to a taupe.

I’ll post my colors again. I can’t tell if that color looks green at all, I don’t think I’d like that.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58942BBC-3580-4258-A19B-5EAD62D8D2FA.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	10567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE92ADB3-A343-4D74-895B-1C68E3C7BB03.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	10568
    Last edited by Monk5990; 01-16-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Add picture

The color that is completely different that I was thinking of is cameo stone Burnished. I’m trying to upload a screenshot, no working, maybe because this is a “reply”.

All look fine to me. I prefer the two that are on the ends the best.

Thanks, Brandi, for responding. You haven’t seen my wild rug yet. I know it’s not for everyone, but I am wondering about the leather with this rug. The furniture would be on it more. I have so much “orange in my wood walls, rock, wood floors, but I can’t seem to post the other color leather I’m suddenly considering.

I’m also thinking that naybe the leather, wood walls and floor could all be “subdued” because this rug is anything but. I have a coffee table I wanted Duane to weigh in on because I wanted to see if I could still get ottoman, but I need to order the sofa ( right Duane).

My iPads giving me fits about loading a Color, even though it’s a photo of a color. Is that just me? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8E07781-1047-430D-A13D-915B0E7CD830.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	10573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31924879-B579-45D4-BD8F-F6AFFCD8C141.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	10574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C471DC9-988C-4FBA-AD1B-E15F754CADCD.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	10575

Those are dark leathers draped ( too dark). The old briefcase I thought approximated a Hyde Park Cognac ish leather..

The leather sample on the left is Capri Harness, Brandi, I like it too! A lot more $ in a giant sectional, not so sure about my dog.

How does the Weston Burnished feel? Is it “ squeaky or slick?

I think you are thinking "Pull-Up" leathers. All Pull-ups are pretty much done in Italy, and all are wax infused at the tannery to show color bursts when pressure is applied.

To make a Burnished leather you take a Pull-up , sand the hide, clean it and then apply darkening toner coats to it, then finally a sealer. They are stiffer and have lots of color variations to them, which makes them interesting.

Capri is a luxury, nude leather. it's very pure, butter-soft and elegant. It has almost no topcoat on it. Super Soft.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The capri looks cozy. The weston burnished does squeak some (just stopped typing to go sit on it) but I never thought about it until you asked, so it doesn't bother me. It's smooth, but I wouldn't say slick. Its soft and doesn't feel cold. Your rug is beautiful. I think any of the colors you choose will be great.

So, it’s probably hard to generalize; I’m wondering, since the Weston’s seemed like they had a softer hand and were less “shiny” than, say the Hyde Parks (in the little samples I got)...are there pull-ups that are more matte AND more pliable than the Burnished hydes. I liked the Weston’s and they are gone

OR, since they are waxy and not sanded, are they “stiff” for that reason, even though they are not Burnished.

I did not get anyTiburon or Tuscany samples (I believe they aren’t Burnished.). Also, I saw your description of a “wade”, that seems more homogenous, closer to a Capri, but a grade3.

I’m trying to decide without getting more samples so I can decide quickly, I don’t know how much time I have, not sure youdo, if I want a Wrangler.