Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Slick" burnished leather

Default Re: "Slick" burnished leather

Thanks Brandi. It’s a vintage Persian design, the asymmetry and wild design and colors is not to everyone’s liking.

I love the colors, they are vegetable dyes and even more amazing in natural light, but it’s an old rug and I protect it. It’s got sentimental value. My mom was an importer and it was one of her oldest favorite Persian carpets. Our store was in Chicago and I’d moved to Virginia. She passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, but had stashed it in a Japanese chest and told an employee. The chest was for me and the carpet, too

Duane,
    By the way, I didn’t name this thread. I saw it and jumped in. A man asked about his slick slippery Burnished sofa. I jumped on

Given that my room has pine walls, river dock surrounded fireplace ash hardwood floors all with “tan/brown/rust” colors in it and I’m getting a sectional which does not really have beautiful design lines, and it’s floating in the room, do you think a Burnished leather might actually have it “hold its shape” even if the Capri is buttery soft. Or Because the Capri is buttery soft.

I was thinking that the “slipperiness” that some people have described may not affect such a large sectional that does not have a tight or tufted back.

I know you compared a Burnished leather and Capri as analogous to hamburger and steak, but maybe? With this large, unstructured sofa would a Burnished, for example Hyde Park, maybe even look more interesting?

Or would it be more comfortable and more elegant in Capri? Or could nothing make a Wrangler elegant?
    Last edited by Monk5990; 01-17-2018 at 02:14 AM.

This is not easy to advise - because I don't know your lifestyle. If you are like my mother, who drinks coffee constantly from the sofa (and the subsequent daily spills) then Capri is not your leather. However, before you jump in on such a large purchase in a burnished leather you should see at least a chair in person in the hides so you know what its like. Burnished hides sit differently, they are pretty and unique, however they are stiffer and slicker. What if you don't like that stiffer feel? Who wants a $$ 5-figure $$ sectional in a leather they aren't crazy about?

I can only tell you what I do in my own home. I use burnished hides on my kitchen bar stools and my library chairs, because they are fun and tough. On my sofas, I would go with a softer leather like Capri (or Wade, a GR 3 and about 20% less in price) - but we eat/drink hardly at all on our family room pieces. If I wanted an all-purpose, throw anything-at-it leather then the GR 2 finished leathers Angelo, Aspen or Champion. Or, if I wanted something in the middle of a super soft and burnished, I really like the new Boston Series hides (you can see them on the Expedition Chair I recently put photos up of).

There is no substitute for seeing the leathers made up on pieces, swatches can only do so much. For example, my wife and I are going to be replacing our 17-year-old pair of Leathercraft sofas with Hancock and Moores units. We will be going to the High Point Market in April and pick them out from the showroom where she can see 200 + different hides all made up. While I can select easily off the swatches, she cannot visualize as well - so she's going as my Assistant Buyer!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20B756C2-BAAE-4E7E-88E8-EB625A2DDC00.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	10583I understand the sentiment and advice. I wish it were easier for me to get out...and travel a few hours.

I’m also worried about my dropped frame not being available. We sometimes eat in our family room. More my husband. But there are no stains on the “mother in law” couch or spills anywhere. I’ve quickly trained my dog to only lay on a quilt. Was trying to take a picture with this window open, I don’t see an icon for it...I took one, I’ll try and attach it.

I was wondering if, aperture from the buttery softness of the Capri, if you thought a Burnished leather might hold its shape better in this rather unstructured sofa? It doesn’t seem to be an issue so much with the picture of the buyer who shared pics with me, but that is against a wall.

I think most stock photos of the Wrangler are shown in a Burnished leather, perhaps I think that because of the highs and lows and slight sheen and “tightness” of the cushion.

If I knew how long the Wrangler frame would be available to me, I could perhaps make a trip to your store.

My husband even told me last night that he’s been asked to give a medical talk in High Point next Thursday. He’s being driven. He’d stay overnight if I went. I could go to the Hancock and Moore showroom? Or would I need an appointment.

I actually think I’d be happy with a Hyde Park Earth or Cognac. Then again, I love how THIS chair feels (below). Or above. It’s 33 years old and my mom said it was the best full grain leather. I doubt it’s painted.

I really don’t think I’d be happy with a Painted leather that could peel over time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108CCBE0-30F0-48ED-BF91-0143B47E4E49.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	10582

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    This is not easy to advise - because I don't know your lifestyle. If you are like my mother, who drinks coffee constantly from the sofa (and the subsequent daily spills) then Capri is not your leather. However, before you jump in on such a large purchase in a burnished leather you should see at least a chair in person in the hides so you know what its like. Burnished hides sit differently, they are pretty and unique, however they are stiffer and slicker. What if you don't like that stiffer feel? Who wants a $$ 5-figure $$ sectional in a leather they aren't crazy about?

I can only tell you what I do in my own home. I use burnished hides on my kitchen bar stools and my library chairs, because they are fun and tough. On my sofas, I would go with a softer leather like Capri (or Wade, a GR 3 and about 20% less in price) - but we eat/drink hardly at all on our family room pieces. If I wanted an all-purpose, throw anything-at-it leather then the GR 2 finished leathers Angelo, Aspen or Champion. Or, if I wanted something in the middle of a super soft and burnished, I really like the new Boston Series hides (you can see them on the Expedition Chair I recently put photos up of).

There is no substitute for seeing the leathers made up on pieces, swatches can only do so much. For example, my wife and I are going to be replacing our 17-year-old pair of Leathercraft sofas with Hancock and Moores units. We will be going to the High Point Market in April and pick them out from the showroom where she can see 200 + different hides all made up. While I can select easily off the swatches, she cannot visualize as well - so she's going as my Assistant Buyer!
    Duane, I saw the picture of the Boston leather on the chair, it’s beautiful. I’d have to look back at the picture to see if you named the color. I see the swatches online of the Wade series, they look monochromatic almost, but by description sound like they show “blemishes” and have some highs and lows.

I guess I should call you re: the frame

Don’t know if you are closing early because of snow! It’s actually snooker here in VA Beach than where my son is in Wburg, so I have no idea what this storm is doing. It snowed there all day and is hardly sticking, it started to snow here an hour ago and it’s already an inch or two. I’m a Chicago girl, So it would take two feet, but schools will close here tomorrow!