Thread: Advice on picking a Tilt Back; pairing with an Austin Tilt Back

ALGirl Guest

Default Advice on picking a Tilt Back; pairing with an Austin Tilt Back

I am looking for a comfortable tilt back reading chair for my family room. I love how the Austin Tilt Back sits. My mom has one and we lovingly refer to it as the "napping chair" because you can't sit in it for more 10 minutes without falling asleep. It's a little too informal for the look I want in the room, though. The Arrington Tilt Back may be a little too formal for the room. I was thinking the Anderson Tilt Back may be the answer, but I have never sat in one. Does anyone had advice on how the Anderson sits compared to the other two?

Also, does anyone have advice on an H&M sofa (without a bustle back) which would look good in light/off-white upholstery and go well with the Austin? If I can find other furniture (sofa, accent chairs) to make the Austin work in the room, I would do it in a heartbeat. I love that chair!

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Default Re: Advice on picking a Tilt Back; pairing with an Austin Tilt Back

I have an Austin High Back Tilt Chair in my store sitting next to an Arrington Tilt Back as floor models and everyone goes back and forth between the two. The comment I here the most is "Well, this (Arrington) doesn't sit anywhere near like the Austin". And in fact, the difference is so great I've never sold an Arrington Tilt Back chair and ottoman, but Austin's go out the door like milk and bread in a grocery store, I sell at least two to three units per week. I would expect the Anderson to sit like the Arrington. It's not that the Arrington is a bad chair - it's not. However, the Austin Tilt Back is - and has been for years - a grand slam winner in terms of comfort. It's unequalled by anything else on the market and even the other companies that clone it (such as Bradington Young) don't get it right.

The new Westwood series Tilt Back is very similar to the Austin High Back. That's really the only other one I would recommend for comfort at this time. Style is something altogether different, and if you are willing to give up some comfort for design, then there are good options out there.

There are so many sofas you can use with an Austin, Kodiak, Member, Parisian, etc....it all depends on the look you want. Many of my customers order Austins with nails deleted to give it a slightly more transitional look.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.