Thread: Recliner Mechanism Replacement

Sinkerhawk Guest

Default Recliner Mechanism Replacement

I have a Newport sectional with a bent recliner mechanism. It appears that most of the components have a slight bend so I'm thinking replacement of the entire unit is the best solution. The problem is that the sofa and the mechanism have no identifying serial numbers on them. The sofa only has "Do Not Remove" tags and the mechanism just says SIG (Shanghai Industries Group) on it. I can tell you the mechanism is a manual and stationary and only has three positions. I believe the release handle is called a D-ring. Sorry, I've never worked on recliners, but the original manufacturer is out of business from what I can tell and there are no companies nearby that work on the mechanisms. I just need to know how I go about figuring out which recliner mechanisms I see online I can replace it with. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161129_152906.jpg 
Views:	972 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	9295

Default Re: Recliner Mechanism Replacement

Good luck with that....trying to get Chinese replacement parts is virtually impossible with the maker out of business. It might be easier to achieve peace in the Middle East than get that part. If you absolutely have to save it, most the time its rivets that have sheared and you can take it to a proper machine shop and have them rework the unit you have. Rivets you would install yourself by hand will fail quickly.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sinkerhawk Guest

Are these mechanisms standard enough that I can get a different brand and have it fit the chair? I don't mind if it's the exactly the same, I just need it to work. Truthfully, considering how quickly this one broke I'd rather not get another SIG product. Also, to clarify, SIG seems to still be in business, but their contact site appears out of date and unusable. It's the furniture maker (Newport Furniture in New Albany, MS) that filed for bankruptcy and shows online as permanently closed.

Generally they are not interchangeable, mechanisms are pretty specific to a given frame.

If you are fluent in Chinese, you might can make some phone calls overseas.....buy a spare.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Sinkerhawk Guest

Thanks for the info, drcollie. I was able to send a message to SIG, Ashley Furniture (they appear to hold the patent), and Home Zone, but so far no responses. I also found a website called HomeAdvisor that helps you find service professionals in your area based on what you need done. I'm hoping if replacement doesn't work, I can use that to find someone with enough skill and know-how to straighten out the parts and perhaps shore them up a bit. Thanks again.