Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting it in the Door

Beelieve it or not, there is a website dedicated exclusively to helping consumers figure out whether their furniture (of all types) will fit through their door, hallways, stairs, etc. The site is run by Harry Lipsky. I believe he was formerly in the moving business. You give him the dimensions of your furniture and the dimensions of what you are trying to get it through, and he figures out whether or not it can be done. In close call cases he tells you how to manipulate the furniture to get it into the room. His website is at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Moving-Furniture-2016/. Check it out.

Jeff Frank
    www.simplicitysofas.com

eft Guest

Great link, Jeff! Thanks!

Rafree1 Guest

Default Re: Getting it in the Door

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That assumes all doorways, stairs, and walls are constant! Its not always the door openings that get you, its the adjacent walls, banisters, corner angles and the like. Plus, every piece of furniture is different as well. I suppose one could develop a computer program based on all the specifics and plug in the data, but at the end of the day a trained eye is still the best bet. After doing probably 5,000 home deliveries in 26 years I can eyeball a hall or doorway and tell you with 95% accuracy if its going to make it. The ole human brain and a good dose of experience are still the best bet. The interesting part is when I tell a customer its not going to go, and they ask us to try anyways.

One of the trends in upholstery is to build larger pieces for modern, large homes (aka "McMansions") and then customers want to fit these into their older, smaller homes that were never designed for this size furniture. It can be a real problem when ordering long distance and the piece does not fit in the house.
    Totally agree about the larger sofas being built now to fit McMansions! Problem is I live in an OLD city with a LOT of old victorian homes, and a lot of old craftsman type homes as well. McMasions are here too but, they never really caught on the way they have in some places as they don't really "fit" the surroundings of a historical city much.

At any rate MANY of the sofas I liked were too deep or too long for my space and the widest door I have is 35 inches on the inside. The only reason it IS that wide is that it's a new garden door I had put in. All the other doors are maximum thirty inches except the front door that leads to a long skinny hallway, with a staircase, three openings with door frames all the way down that hall and a 30 inch opening to go into the living space from the skinny hall. Nightmare time! Now my last sofa did fit, it was 85 inches long, and no more than 40 inches deep. The legs had to come off. I do have a straight shot opening now through the garden with that new door! Hooray! But, I'm still limited on choices. We loved the West End sofa by H and M. but, it is 44 and one half inches deep. Yes, I could scrunch it in but, would have few choices about moving it around, where to place other furniture etc. H and M doesn't make a smaller version of that same sofa so we've been looking at other model options, and BY's West HAVEN is similar but, it's BY ...not H and M.

I do wish these companies would make all their models in two versions..too much to ask I suppose but, not everyone lives in a new sprawling home. I love my older home but, sometimes wish I do covet one of those great big deep comfy sofas!

Anyway, it's far more of a challenge to find something you really like, that fits your space etc. if you live in an older home with average sized doors these days. My husband laid down on that West End sofa in a store and nearly had a look of utter bliss on his face. I had to laugh. When you are looking for something say tops 87 inches wide X 40 inches deep...choices are MUCH less.

MCDirect Guest

Default Re: Getting it in the Door

Great find,

I posted this to our twitter and Facebook pages.

Thanks!
    Modern Chairs