Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle Snow Removal?

Default How do you handle Snow Removal?

Since it's that time of year for certain areas of the country to get snow I thought I'd ask what is everyone preferred method to handle snow removal?

I use my Single Stage Toro snowthrower and shovels to handle the snow, in fact have always used single stage Toro snowthrowers but at times I do think about a larger two stage machine. I like that my Toro is light, easy to maneuver, and can really handle most types of snow even if it's over a foot high but the smaller machine means more passes to cover the same ground and End of Driveway after plowing can be hard for the machine to handle.

Default Re: How do you handle Snow Removal?

I have a big Honda snowblower that is 2-stage, and gets the job done, it never bogs. I have a very long driveway with a big parking pad so I need the long throw power of the 2-stage unit.

I used to have a Kubota BX2200 with a Front end loader on it, and those are great to move snow, but lousy at plowing it as once your bucket fills up, you have to dump it.

Snow shovel....ummm.....not even sure I know what those look like <G>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have a big Honda snowblower that is 2-stage, and gets the job done, it never bogs. I have a very long driveway with a big parking pad so I need the long throw power of the 2-stage unit.

I used to have a Kubota BX2200 with a Front end loader on it, and those are great to move snow, but lousy at plowing it as once your bucket fills up, you have to dump it.

Snow shovel....ummm.....not even sure I know what those look like <G>
    Going by some of the photos you have posted in the past and how long your driveway looks I would of guessed you had a plow service but a larger 2 stage Honda would handle it too. Do you have a track model or standard tires?

I live in an area that is usually in the top 5 of snowiest cities http://goldensnowglobe.com/current-t...owiest-cities/ which some people here enjoy the recognition but I wouldn't mind being lower on the list.

When I lived in Cleveland and had a 120' long driveway I had a plowing contract. Besides that I used a snow pusher for lighter snowfalls (<3") and just regular shovels for heavier to clear the sidewalk and walkways. If we were going to live there for a while I would have definitely bought a snow blower for the sidewalks.

Now I live in Columbus and have only like a 20' driveway, I just used the pusher for our first real snow of the season when we got a couple of inches yesterday.
    Last edited by Danw99; 12-12-2016 at 03:42 PM.

When I lived in Eastern Washington, a lot of the snow was a very fine powder so I could use a shop broom to clear my drive way and sidewalks. Now I live in the Southern Plains and the snow is wet and heavy like fresh concrete, I had to downsize my snow shovel to protect my back and it takes forever to shovel the driveway.

Small world - I grew up in E. Washington and went to school at WSU! We're in San Diego area now...snow not an issue here. It was 65 at sundown today. Hope you're all keeping warm!

Quote Originally Posted by a1i50n View Post
    Small world - I grew up in E. Washington and went to school at WSU! We're in San Diego area now...snow not an issue here. It was 65 at sundown today. Hope you're all keeping warm!
    Thanks for the warm wishes, it's about 18 now but feels like 3 (Fahrenheit) with the wind. Enjoy that sunshine!

I went to put snow tires on my BMW (Summer performance tires do not work in the winter) and discovered the dealer had put wheel locks on the car, and never given me a key for them. I was a bit annoyed, but made the hour drive to the dealer so they could remove then and install standard lugs. Then back home to put the snows on. Now I'm ready for winter!
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I went to put snow tires on my BMW (Summer performance tires do not work in the winter) and discovered the dealer had put wheel locks on the car, and never given me a key for them. I was a bit annoyed, but made the hour drive to the dealer so they could remove then and install standard lugs. Then back home to put the snows on. Now I'm ready for winter!
    That's a bit of inconvenience to say the least, what if you had a flat tire and went to any tire shop for replacement? Also did your bmw come with run flats standard?

Yes, my X4 has run-flats as factory.

Wheel locks are a throwback to the 80's, anyone can defeat them with a specially-made $ 20 socket you can buy, they are ineffective. But if you don't have that socket (which I did not), then you either go to someone who does or pound a 12-point socket onto the lock with a big hammer and you will eventually be able to get it removed. Since the BMW dealer did the screwup on this, I wasn't too keen on pounding on that socket on the expensive wheels. They took care of it for me, just cost me an hour on the road each way due to the wonderful state of Suburban Washington DC roads and traffic.
    Duane Collie