Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J.L. Treharn and Company has closed its doors

Default Re: J.L. Treharn and Company has closed its doors

Yes, having decent photos is really key to selling any product that can't be seen in person. I was after them for years to upgrade their photos but they never did.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Very sad news. My house is furnished largely with Treharn furniture that I purchased from the Keeping Room. Every time guests come over they comment on the furniture. They may not have changed with the times but sadly I think there are many people who spend a lot of money at places like Restoration Hardware on quality challenged furniture as opposed to buying furniture from a company like Treharn or, even better, a builder like John Buchanan. I bought a Buchanan table from the KR several years ago and I think on a 2216 version of the Antiques Roadshow, furniture from a Buchanan, or even Treharn, is more likely to be featured. The Restoration Hardware stuff will be in a landfill by then.

Very true. All furniture forms and styles are cyclic, and run into periods where they are the certain thing to have. Many repeat, such as right now Arts and Crafts are big as is Transitional. You see it in the new homes being built and in all the decor magazines. That will burn out and a new style come in to replace it.

Typically the American Country look / Antiques are out of favor with the mainstream, which means its an excellent time to buy into this category (especially if you are young). When the look comes roaring back - and it will - a small fortune will be made by those clever enough to have bought American Period Antiques in a down market, because as they say "They ain't makin' them any more". My prediction? The Tri-Centennial when the Country turns 300 years old in 2076. Now, I won't be here to see that in 60 years, but that's my estimate when it will once again be the in-demand look and it will last about ten to fifteen years as a Revival look.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Very true. All furniture forms and styles are cyclic, and run into periods where they are the certain thing to have. Many repeat, such as right now Arts and Crafts are big as is Transitional. You see it in the new homes being built and in all the decor magazines. That will burn out and a new style come in to replace it.

Typically the American Country look / Antiques are out of favor with the mainstream, which means its an excellent time to buy into this category (especially if you are young). When the look comes roaring back - and it will - a small fortune will be made by those clever enough to have bought American Period Antiques in a down market, because as they say "They ain't makin' them any more". My prediction? The Tri-Centennial when the Country turns 300 years old in 2076. Now, I won't be here to see that in 60 years, but that's my estimate when it will once again be the in-demand look and it will last about ten to fifteen years as a Revival look.
    So to go in a bit different direction, what styles do you see that avoid falling out of favor and are mainstays?

I have no idea! I don't get out much...lol

Usually, whatever you see in the better design magazines is the trend.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have no idea! I don't get out much...lol

Usually, whatever you see in the better design magazines is the trend.
    Ha! What I meant what are the designs that stand the test of time? I know they say for mens fashion and style the business look from the 1950s seems to always be relevant.

I think there are classics that will always have a basic form factor that will stand the test of time, like a Penny Loafer. What comes to mind is a combination of good, practical utility design and functionality of the piece. Items such as your basic four drawer chest, or a double pedestal dining table.

Case in point. Here's Century Furniture's hottest selling dining Room Table. It's an Oak Trestle Table that is designed by Thomas O'Brien (I have this on my showroom floor) and a modern interpretation of the a knock-down Trestle Table:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ae9_306_fm15.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	9372

And here's a 300-year-old original:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_trestle_table_base.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	9374

As you can see, the "new" unit is a stylized version of that time-tested centuries-old design. It worked well in the 1700's and it still works well today. There are many pieces like that, and by tweaking a design element here or there, changing colors and textures, they get re-invented.
    Duane Collie

Every time I search the web for anything having to do with furniture, this site comes up! Love it. This morning I was searching for my dining table made by Treharn and found that they've gone out of business. I've had this Springfield table since late 80's and have dragged it around with me to 8 different homes. It's just the right size for small dining or foyer or even a desk! I've modified my decorating style several times over the years and this table seems to look great with what ever I do in design. Yes...I'm a bit of an "oldster" but think young.

/Users/dianekwan/Downloads/IMG_8977.HEIC
    /Users/dianekwan/Downloads/IMG_0841.HEIC